Coming from Triple Fi/ IE8, what next? UM3x or Westone 3?
Nov 4, 2009 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

fooey

Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I had my Triple Fi for just over 18 months when they broke a few months back. What I really liked about these IEMs was the high end sparkle and that they seemed to go well with my Sony A829 DAP and my H120/MBP iBasso D10 combination.

When they broke, I decided that I would give another IEM a try and after a while, settled on the IE8s. I've had these now for a few months and they have been burnt in sufficiently I believe, > 300 hrs I would imagine. Even though these sound OK, they don't blow me away. I don't like the excessive bass and the treble does seem to lack sparkle. Isolation is also not fantastic.

So now I'm looking for my next set of IEMs and the obvious two contenders are the UM3x and W3. Given that I preferred the sound of the Trips to the IE8, what would you suggest? I was thinking of just opting for the JH 13pro as it would probably save me money in the long term but decided against it.

I also would like to add that I do a lot of cardio exercise which results in me sweating a lot. The upshot of this is that sweat usually runs into my ears when I run and not only breaks the seal but doesn't feel terribly pleasant. Would custom IEMs be the solution to this particular problem?

Cheers.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 27
The UM3X will sound most different from the choices you've mentioned. In your position, I would either go for the TF10pro again or reconsider the JH13 (which would indeed save you a ton of $$$ in the long run).

The TF10pro has much more treble sparkle than the IE 8 or UM3X does. The UM3X has less sparkle than the IE 8 does. Meanwhile, the JH13's treble straddles the line of perfection.

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 27
Yup. I think the one lil' gripe I have about the IE8s is the treble. Other than that, it's still really fun =P

fooey: try using the different tips for a different seal. I agree that the seal can be a tad crummy. I've found that with a better seal, the bass starts to overpower and I don't really like it, but then again, if you are walking around, losing a bit of SQ shouldn't be too much of a bother. Also, your D10 combo may not necessarily be the best combi. I am not sure about this, but HiFlight has actually developed a topkit which caters to the strength of the IE8s so maybe you could consider it? I've ordered mine and I'll be getting it when I go back to Singapore. That could be a cheaper option.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 27
If you're going the universal route, the W3 has treble sparkle that is comparable to the Triple.Fi's. It would be more of a sidegrade.

The JH13 is supposed to sound stunning from the reviews that I have read. It probably is the ultimate iem upgrade out there.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 27
Yeah that is a good point. The only real upgrade from where you are currently is to look into customs. Anything else is more or less dependent more or less on preference and a horizontal shift as far as universal IEMs go.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 27
I'd say go back to the triple fi 10. The IE8s treble does open up if you don't shove them to deep in your ears and the bass is not as abundant. The treble still is not as prominent or sparkly as the triple fi 10 but it is more extended. If you're considering westones then just head for the W3, although some folks seem to experience sibilance with them.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #7 of 27
The UM3X has more sparkle then the IE8, but you just can't use the stock tips. The stock tips do great at soaking up treble and making the top end sound pretty recessed. Step to a different tip, the Shure Olives for example, and it's a different story with the UM3X.

None of these will be the same as the TF10 or IE8. The UM3X will retain a great low end like the IE8, more articulate and extended actually, and will offer a more balanced midrange and top end to go with it. You'll never get the shear midrange and treble focus of the TF10, but the UM3X is well balanced after you get ride of the stupid stock tip. The W3 is supposed to have emphasized treble, but then people complain about recessed mids. The SE530 has great midrange but then people complain about recessed treble. You can't win, haha!

I personally really like the UM3X, and I feel it's well balanced. It'll sound different then the IE8 or TF10, but after a while, you'll become quite content with it, and the presentation is pretty even and balanced without tremendous emphasis or shortcomings.

For midrange and treble, I will also always suggest the Yuin OK1. It's not really a big slouch on bass either, but the low end is comparitively light yet well pronounced and with great energy and clarity. It's not an IEM, but if you're really not bound to needing isolation, it really should be in your short list of products to try. I've had mine for a year or so and even after trying a ton of the top end universal IEMs I am still a big, big fan of it.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #8 of 27
I find UM3X much closer to TF10Pro than W3. TF10Pro may have a better treble but the veiled midrange makes it no more revealing or sparkly than UM3X. UM3X is a nice logical upgrade.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 27
I only heard the TF10 twice, for about 15 mins each time, but I am surprised to hear that the UM3x sound closer to them when the UM3x get compared (at least in terms of midrange and bass) to the Shure SE530. To my ears, the TF10 and SE530 are almost polar opposites. TF10 seemed V-shaped, with powerful bass and wide soundstage. SE530 is much more subtle and restrained, with more detail in the midrange.

If you liked TF10, I'm guessing you enjoy bold, brash-sounding IEMs. Having only heard TF10, SE530, and Klipsch X10, I would recommend the Westone 3. You probably can't go wrong with either W3 or UM3x, but everything I've read about the UM3x gave me the impression that there was a risk that it would be too subtle and analytical. Coming from the SE530, I wanted a more full and visceral experience, and I get that from the W3. I feel like I'm finally hearing each song the way it was meant to be heard: The bass slams when it's supposed to, the mids are forward and rich when they were engineered that way, and the treble is much more energetic and detailed without being too sharp. Isolation and comfort are also top notch, even when running or sleeping.

Keep in mind that I managed to get a great fit and sound from almost all the stock tips, the P-Complys in particular, and I haven't experienced any sibilance. I'm kind of surprised to hear that the IE8's bass was overwhelming for the OP, coming from the TF10. When I listened to house or hip-hop music on the TF10s with Comply tips, my skull was rattling.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #10 of 27
UE 4 pro~ pretty cheap custom. I got one recently, great value!

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only heard the TF10 twice, for about 15 mins each time, but I am surprised to hear that the UM3x sound closer to them when the UM3x get compared (at least in terms of midrange and bass) to the Shure SE530. To my ears, the TF10 and SE530 are almost polar opposites. TF10 seemed V-shaped, with powerful bass and wide soundstage. SE530 is much more subtle and restrained, with more detail in the midrange.

If you liked TF10, I'm guessing you enjoy bold, brash-sounding IEMs. Having only heard TF10, SE530, and Klipsch X10, I would recommend the Westone 3. You probably can't go wrong with either W3 or UM3x, but everything I've read about the UM3x gave me the impression that there was a risk that it would be too subtle and analytical. Coming from the SE530, I wanted a more full and visceral experience, and I get that from the W3. I feel like I'm finally hearing each song the way it was meant to be heard: The bass slams when it's supposed to, the mids are forward and rich when they were engineered that way, and the treble is much more energetic and detailed without being too sharp. Isolation and comfort are also top notch, even when running or sleeping.

Keep in mind that I managed to get a great fit and sound from almost all the stock tips, the P-Complys in particular, and I haven't experienced any sibilance. I'm kind of surprised to hear that the IE8's bass was overwhelming for the OP, coming from the TF10. When I listened to house or hip-hop music on the TF10s with Comply tips, my skull was rattling.

so u actuaclly own the w3?

Nov 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12 of 27
I wouldn't call the TF10 bold, brash. More so I would call it not lacking. Versus the SE530, it is relatively a V shape. However, this assumes the SE530 is perceptively flat. From my testing, the TF10 is one of the more flat earphones I've used. The SE530 arguably rolls off on both ends.

The TF10 doesn't quite represent powerful bass. Something like the UM3X and IE8 a more representative of excellent bass presence and extension. The TF10 just rolls off a hair early and loses some visceral sense because of it, sense retained in the well extended bass responses of the UM3X and IE8 and with the IE8 being slightly emphasized to boot. To gain that visceral sense, it requires the very bottom of the bass frequencies. These are the frequencies more felt then heard. It certainly won't shake our bodies, but we do still get the same perception just from our ears. The SE530 rolls off quite early and just doesn't provide enough output in these bottom frequencies to be visceral. It's something that the TF10 suffers from too simply because it rolls off just a hair early and unfortunately quickly, although it is quite extended and flat just prior to the steep roll off.

Nov 24, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 27
This is what I'm going to tell you.
I think the Westones (UM3x and W3) didnt have any high end sparkle like you like in Triple Fi.
I think Triple Fi can do alot better in the SoundStates and have alot of sparkle that you like.
UM3x and W3 pretty much hav a poor trable compare to the triple Fi.
But they both also hav a good Mid-range and bass.
If you want to change your style, goes for it.
But if you want to get UM3x OR W3 and expect that you can get the same sparkle or better sparkle than Triple Fi can do. You wont get to that point.. .
Just dont want you to be disappoint with the westone.
I love it, I used to own the UM3x and the Triple Fi at the same time.
They both sounds wonderful but just in the differest range..
P.s. I never tried the IE8 before, so I can't compare to that earphone.

Btw, I agree with this guy also.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feather225 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UE 4 pro~ pretty cheap custom. I got one recently, great value!

Nov 26, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 27
If the choice is between the UM3X and the Westone 3, both are warm but the Westone 3 is the wild child while the UM3X is the responsible one. The Westone 3 has lots of kick to it with a sharper EQ smile (more oomph at both ends) while the UM3X tries to be more neutral. I couldn't decide on the basis of what other people were saying so I bought both and ended up liking the UM3X better. The Westone 3 has more slamming bass but that's not always more desirable and on tracks where it felt out of place, the UM3X was more versatile. There were times when even the UM3X felt a little warmer than I liked, but I vastly preferred it over everything else out there - though the TF10 came closer than any other IEM. One thing I liked about both Westones was the ergonomics. Both fit better and stayed in place better than any other IEM I owned - including Etymotics ER4P, SE530, Phonak Audeo PFE and TF10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back