Coming from HD-555, Brainwavz HM5 or HD-598?
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FourWude

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first time poster here but I've lurked for a while. I've been doing a lot of research on these two cans and I'm not sure which is the right decision. I'm coming from a HD-555 and I'm used to its amazing comfort and general sound signature. I'm usually alone when I listen and portability isn't a concern for me, neither is isolation.

I think I would prefer the wider soundstage of the HD-598, but I'm worried that the differences would not be worth $200 coming from a HD-555, what do you guys think? Because of this reason I was looking at the HM5 because its closed and different (I have never owned a closed headphone).

I am concerned of people mentioning that the HM5 can warm up your ears... maybe I am spoiled with HD-555 comfort because I can go hours on them with no fatigue. So that is a factor as well.

Of course, also a $50-70 price difference which does matter to me... however I will pay more for the 598 if its worth it.

I know some of you will recommend the 558, but from what I have read even after the mod, there is a difference between it and a 598. I would rather pay more and do it "right" the first time.

The primary purpose of these cans will be all purpose. I want something neutral that works well with home theater, gaming, and general music use. I've been happy with the HD-555 since I got them.

Thanks for your help!

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Hey guys, first time poster here but I've lurked for a while. I've been doing a lot of research on these two cans and I'm not sure which is the right decision. I'm coming from a HD-555 and I'm used to its amazing comfort and general sound signature. I'm usually alone when I listen and portability isn't a concern for me, neither is isolation.
I think I would prefer the wider soundstage of the HD-598, but I'm worried that the differences would not be worth $200 coming from a HD-555, what do you guys think? Because of this reason I was looking at the HM5 because its closed and different (I have never owned a closed headphone).
I am concerned of people mentioning that the HM5 can warm up your ears... maybe I am spoiled with HD-555 comfort because I can go hours on them with no fatigue. So that is a factor as well.
Of course, also a $50-70 price difference which does matter to me... however I will pay more for the 598 if its worth it.
I know some of you will recommend the 558, but from what I have read even after the mod, there is a difference between it and a 598. I would rather pay more and do it "right" the first time.
The primary purpose of these cans will be all purpose. I want something neutral that works well with home theater, gaming, and general music use. I've been happy with the HD-555 since I got them.
Thanks for your help!

What DAC and headphone amplifier are you using?
Have you looked into the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250-Ohm?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 5
the modded HD558 will not sound as good as the HD598, think of the modded 558 as a cloudier version of the 598 with the exact same sound. the hd598 is extremely comfortable since it is the top end (598 pads are softer than 558 and 555 ones) 
this 598 will do voices very well and will sound quite lively, soundstage is very good, much more than hd555. the subbass on the 598 is a little on the weak side though, mid and upper bass is ok, treble is not fatiguing.

but do try to audition the brainwavz HM5 if possible and even better if the 598 is next to you.

hope this helps^^

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 5
Unfortunately, not using any dedicated portable DAC. The best DAC I have would be my Denon AVR-591, which has a dedicated 1/4" plug for headphones, so the HD-555/598 plug directly into it. It sounds good for home theater/gaming when using the AVR. Other than that, I just use my Realtek audio from my computer's motherboard with some EQ. 

I don't mind purchasing an inexpensive DAC to go with these new headphones, so recommendations for that are welcome as well. My main concern right now is that the 598 would be too similar to my 555 to spend $200 on it, which is why I was thinking of spending less on the Brainwavz HM5 because it is different and supposedly very good.

Never heard of the Beyerdynamic DT990. I didn't spend too much time researching a lot of different brands because to be honest, the HD-555 were my first entry level cans, so I'm a bit biased towards their sound signature. I'm not sure if I would prefer a different sound signature, but I would be confident to try based on recommendations here. I just want my money to go to the right place in this tough economy. :frowning2: (college student on a limited entertainment budget)

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 5
Low cost update.
Asus Xonar DG sound card, better then a motherboard's built in audio.
Takstar Hi2050 headphones, $64 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back