Comfy all-around headphones for less than $200?
Nov 6, 2010 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

conduct

New Head-Fier

I'm looking for a pair of headphones under $200 that would work well with a wide variety of music--classical (mostly baroque and modern), IDM, post-rock and noise, some acoustic and vocal stuff. I have no preference whether they're open or closed. I get migraines, so I need something lightweight and/or supremely comfortable. I'd be using them with an iTouch and a laptop; I don't have an amp, but am not opposed to getting one (another thing to spend days researching here). I've never purchased a pair of audiophile-quality headphones before and have physical access only to the pitiful selection at my local Best Buy (limited entirely to Bose and the Beats line), so I'm more or less going into this blind.

I'm looking at the AKG K240S, AKG K81DJ, Creative Aurvana Live, and Beyerdynamic DT235. Those seem to be the best value for my price range, but I have no idea how they sound with different genres. Which works best across a spectrum of genres? Anything else I should be looking at? I know it's unlikely that I can satisfy all these requirements, especially for less than $200, but what offers the most bang for my buck?

Nov 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #2 of 4
** MIGRAINE **

Any chance you could change to title of the thread? Am guessing "classical" must be a turn off for 95% of HeadFi and "IDM" for the remaining 5 
bigsmile_face.gif
 My text above is a shameless attempt to trigger someone's curiosity.

You could try a search here on "allrounder" for some suggestions (found quite good thread).  What tends to trigger your migraine? You imply it is weight and perhaps "clamping".

Wonder where you're based. You say the budget is $200 yet the headphones you're looking at all seem under $100 in USA.

I can vouch for the Creative Aurvana Live! as comfy and decent all rounder, but maybe you can do better for your budget, particularly if you're prepared to consider getting an amp later.

Nov 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 4
Heh, thanks for the tip. I'll change the title and search for the thread you suggested. 

Pressure is usually what triggers my migraines; I wear glasses and the pressure of the arms on my head does it. Sound usually doesn't have much affect unless I'm already on the edge of a migraine, but I'm worried that the brightness of something like the Grados would also be migraine-inducing. Maybe some other migraine-sufferers will weigh in here.

I'm hoping to stay around $80-$120, but am willing to spend a bit more, hence the $200 range. 

Nov 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 4
Id say AD700, DT440, DT250, or MS1. 

In order of overall sound quality:
DT440
DT250
AD700
MS-1

In order of comfort:
AD700
DT250
MS-1
DT440