Comfrotable, closed heaphone with less emphasis on bass for under $50?
Aug 1, 2013 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hente

100+ Head-Fier
So I never really cared about comfort too much, but a friend wants a recommendation for a new, comfortable headphone. He has been using a rebranded Brainwavz HM3/FA-004 but he considers them to be bass heavy & starting to get uncomfortable, so I'm also looking for something that is more geared towards mids/highs. I let him try out out my Takstar-Hi2050s and he considers them to be just right in terms of SQ & comfort, but the open design will be a problem with using them at our campus' library.

He prioritizes comfort over SQ. If it matters, I know his favorite (or at least one of them) bands is Nightwish.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 6
Done!!!

He can Also look at the lower end Sennheisers at this price range. If comfort is his main thing. Check out the HD 428/9 439 , My pick would be the 439 due to it having 2 cables, 1 short  1 long, Since he will be using them on the go.   Most of the others have super long cables. + IMO for the lower end Senns the HD439 does sound the best. Light weight and Velour pads + great comfort!!

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 6
I've only owned and heard the HD 428 but they where among the most comfortable headphones I've ever used the HD 439 looks just like it but with velour pads not sure how the sound quality is like on them but if he wants comfort those should defiantly give him that.

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
So I never really cared about comfort too much, but a friend wants a recommendation for a new, comfortable headphone. He has been using a rebranded Brainwavz HM3/FA-004 but he considers them to be bass heavy & starting to get uncomfortable, so I'm also looking for something that is more geared towards mids/highs. I let him try out out my Takstar-Hi2050s and he considers them to be just right in terms of SQ & comfort, but the open design will be a problem with using them at our campus' library.

He prioritizes comfort over SQ. If it matters, I know his favorite (or at least one of them) bands is Nightwish.

Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, sells for $50 on eBay.

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones, sells for $50 on eBay.

I'll second that suggestion (same drivers, evidently, only in a closed design). Another option is the Sennheiser HD428, available refurbed on ebay for $25. I have both the Takstar Pro 80 and HD428, and find them to be rather similar. I think I prefer the HD428 even, it just seems a little crisper and clearer (although this may in part be due to not having an amp). As to comfort, I found them both very comfortable; the Pro 80 is cushier, but also heaver and has a slightly stronger clamping force. The HD428 is much lighter, which makes it easier to wear for longer periods and to transport to/from the library.

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Done!!!

He can Also look at the lower end Sennheisers at this price range. If comfort is his main thing. Check out the HD 428/9 439 , My pick would be the 439 due to it having 2 cables, 1 short  1 long, Since he will be using them on the go.   Most of the others have super long cables. + IMO for the lower end Senns the HD439 does sound the best. Light weight and Velour pads + great comfort!!

I second the Koss recommendation. They sound every bit as good as my $200 SRH840, and they're going for around $40-50 now. Highly recommend going with M50 pads though, for both comfort and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back