Comfortable recliners / Listening chairs?
Jun 14, 2008 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Snicewicz

500+ Head-Fier
Well my parents are helping me redecorate my room, and part of that means new furniture.

Right now I am in the process of looking for a listening chair. So far I am leaning towards a home theatre chair.

Anyone have any specific home theatre chairs or other chair suggestions?

Trying to keep it sub $1000 for a chair,

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my Ikea "poang" chair. They come in all different colours of wood, with a variety of different cushions (replacable when they wear out) and are extremely comfortable.

Those chairs look really comfy and the price is reasonable too. I think I may have to try one out. Thanks for the tip!!

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 28
Man, I'd love to have one of those chairs. However my parents don't really see the need to buy me a $500 chair to listen to music in. :sigh: And it'll take me 2 months working at the grocery store to get that. And even then I'll blow it on a guitar or a new amp or some head phones
biggrin.gif
before I get a chair. Oh well.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 28
I got a Costco leather recliner that works very well for me. It cost less than half your budget.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eames Lounge Chair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very comfortable.

Doubt it...the Eames lounge actually doesn't have a head rest.

Head rests are very important for listening to headphones then falling asleep and spilling your scotch all over your $4,000 chair.

Jun 14, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 28
Are you thinking of a different Eames Chair because the Lounge does have a headrest.

charles_eames.jpg

Like so many others, I would love to own one someday. And I thought it was very comfortable. You want lack of confort, sit in anything designed by Le Corbusier.

--

With a budget of a grand, I would first search craigslist for used Scandinavian leather recliners and zero gravity recliners like those found at the Relax the Back store.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you thinking of a different Eames Chair because the Lounge does have a headrest.

1736877359_8deb6d71e4.jpg

It depends on how you sit in it. If you slouch a little bit, you can rest your head on the backrest. The Eames lounge was originally designed without a headrest...the thing that people generally think is the headrest actually supports the upper back...if you sit in it with your butt actually against the back of the seat, your head will generally go off the chair. However, if you are short or slouch a little bit, everything changes.

Nonetheless, beautiful chair. My favorite chair of all time.

Jun 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 28
Jun 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 28
^ Winner, winner chicken dinner. Those are god like.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Eames lounge was originally designed without a headrest

Fair enough, the official site refers to it as a "high back", so I stand corrected

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 28
Thanks for all the input, the problem is a need a pretty long chair (I am about 6' 4") and I need to have a headrest. We have one of those zero gravity chairs but not in leather, I may have to try one out at Brookstone.

Also that Eames chair seems to be in a Modern furniture store and with my experience with stores in my area that carry those, I would struggle affording a lamp with my budget.

Maybe I can convince my parents to get me a massage chair as a congratulations on finishing another year of school
smily_headphones1.gif

I am still leaning towards a theatre chair with cup holders like this:

Berkline_090_7550_29.jpg

Just a single. I think its about 800

Jun 15, 2008 at 5:45 AM Post #14 of 28
I don't know where you live but please check out the lazy boy store. They have all sorts of options now. Much different than decades past. Awhile ago we redecorated the house and decided to go with the lazy boy store instead of the higher end options. Cheap and comfortable. It turned a stuffy living room into a room we actually wanted to spend time in. I'd definitely check them out if you're on a budget. It was a great choice if one can get past the preconceived notions.

Jun 16, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snicewicz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the input, the problem is a need a pretty long chair (I am about 6' 4") and I need to have a headrest.

The 'Perfect Chair' comes in a long version for tall people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back