Comfortable Over-Ear Closed Back For Home Office Setup
Aug 22, 2020 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

malibuboats91

Head-Fier
Hi All - I have been a long time V-Moda user, first the M100, then the Crossfade 2 Wireless. Unfortunately my CFW2's have seen better days, so I'm looking to replace them. I primarily listen to country and rap music. While I like hard bass, I like a brighter sound signature. The V-Moda V signature was always great for me.

I purchased the Momentum 3s and have been trying them out. The bass is good, perhaps a bit muddy for my taste and they are bulky overall. Then the overall sound signature is a bit dark for my taste. I skipped the Sony 1000XM3/4 due to headbands breaking. Overall when I think about it I don't need wireless, other than it's nice to wear them when I'm getting up to get coffee or food. I don't need ANC either. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 11
If you already know you like the house sound, why not look at the VMODA M200s?

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #4 of 11
I had the same thought, but I have had issues with build quality. I get maybe 3 years out of each pair as the little plastic pieces the adjustment slide into break, then V-Moda won't do anything about it.
I might recommend the Momentum 2 wired, the bass is a lot more controlled compared to the M3 and is a bit brighter. And they can be had for relatively cheap these days and they’re built like tanks.

Edit: Although comfort is entirely contingent on how your ears handle the almost over-ear pads. But I remember once the headband broke in, it wasn’t a problem.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 11
I might recommend the Momentum 2 wired, the bass is a lot more controlled compared to the M3 and is a bit brighter. And they can be had for relatively cheap these days and they’re built like tanks.

Edit: Although comfort is entirely contingent on how your ears handle the almost over-ear pads. But I remember once the headband broke in, it wasn’t a problem.
I see you have M3s, how do you like them? I really enjoy the fit and sound of my V-Modas. I'm a CPA so often times I used them 12-15 hours a day while working and only discomfort I notice is the top of my head hurts once and awhile so then I loosen up the band. I wish I could find something similar to them.

Also, thoughts on wired vs wireless? I think I could do wired if i had a long cord, but wireless are convenient.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 11
So I had the same initial reaction of the M3s you had, but sort of grew to really love just how intense the bass is (it’s seriously my favorite bass tuned headphone I’ve heard). I was coming literally straight from the M2 wrapped around my kneck when I first walked into an audio store To demo them. Once I adjusted I started to notice that the Bass, while insane in quantity, wasn’t really bleeding into the mid-range like I thought this type of tuning would, and found a really pleasant mid range as well (but man is this a bass focused can). I’m sensitive to treble, so I prefer a more dark presentation. I haven’t really had any comfort problems and have used them on cross country flights without issue.

The M3 is exclusively wireless (at least right now), the M2 wired vs Wireless is really up to you. Tuning wise they are the EXACT same, to the point if you use the wireless passively with a wire you literally cannot perceive a difference from the wired version. The one annoyance with the M2 is that if you’re using them wirelessly, you cannot disable the ANC, although the way Sennheiser implements it, I’ve never found that it colors the tuning when active.

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #7 of 11
So I had the same initial reaction of the M3s you had, but sort of grew to really love just how intense the bass is (it’s seriously my favorite bass tuned headphone I’ve heard). I was coming literally straight from the M2 wrapped around my kneck when I first walked into an audio store To demo them. Once I adjusted I started to notice that the Bass, while insane in quantity, wasn’t really bleeding into the mid-range like I thought this type of tuning would, and found a really pleasant mid range as well (but man is this a bass focused can). I’m sensitive to treble, so I prefer a more dark presentation. I haven’t really had any comfort problems and have used them on cross country flights without issue.

The M3 is exclusively wireless (at least right now), the M2 wired vs Wireless is really up to you. Tuning wise they are the EXACT same, to the point if you use the wireless passively with a wire you literally cannot perceive a difference from the wired version. The one annoyance with the M2 is that if you’re using them wirelessly, you cannot disable the ANC, although the way Sennheiser implements it, I’ve never found that it colors the tuning when active.
Great testimonial! I took find that I'm sensitive to bright treble. Any input on quality of Sennheiser? Maybe I should give these a more fair shot.

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Great testimonial! I took find that I'm sensitive to bright treble. Any input on quality of Sennheiser? Maybe I should give these a more fair shot.
At the end of the day, you should trust what your ears are telling you. The M3 might just be too bassey for you. That’s why there are so many different headphones and not just one tuning. It did take me some time to warm it to it myself. But if you already have them, I mean, giving them more time for your brain to get used to the tuning can’t hurt.

Edit:
Also in terms of quality, Sennheiser has always been top notch. Built with long term use in mind. Some people have cracked their 650 Headbands, but those are plastic and I’ve never experienced that problem personally. The Momentum line is all metal and real leather.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 11
So in your first post you mentioned you like a brighter sound signature, so I was going to recommend one of the dt770 variants, such as those, the 1770, or 177x. Then you said you’re sensitive to treble..:

177x still fits.

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 11
At the end of the day, you should trust what your ears are telling you. The M3 might just be too bassey for you. That’s why there are so many different headphones and not just one tuning. It did take me some time to warm it to it myself. But if you already have them, I mean, giving them more time for your brain to get used to the tuning can’t hurt.

Edit:
Also in terms of quality, Sennheiser has always been top notch. Built with long term use in mind. Some people have cracked their 650 Headbands, but those are plastic and I’ve never experienced that problem personally. The Momentum line is all metal and real leather.
I've been listening to the M3 today and comparing to my V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless. Over the weekend I was thinking I'd just cash in on the immortal life guarantee, but I think I like the M3 better now. Both treble and bass are better on the M3. They also seem to 'clamp' a bit less. Just want to make sure there's nothing better out there for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back