Comfortable, Open-Air, Non-Bass Heavy, Ampless, Gaming/Movies
Mar 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AudioSearcher

New Head-Fier
The title pretty much sums it up. Currently I have an old pair of DT 770 Pro-80s using a Asus Xonar DG (the one with the built-in headphone amp), and before that they were using a X-fi XtremeGamer (not the weak XtremeAudio) . Probably due to wearing glasses, the clamping force on them becomes annoying after a while. They are also too bass-heavy for my taste, in both games and movies. I enjoy "low-volume" bass, such as a deep rumble/explosion in the distance (for example, in the 2005 version of War of the Worlds where the machines are "calling" miles away), but movies/games don't often have that kind of bass, and the "in-your-face" bass annoys my sensitive hearing.

I also wish to switch to open-air, because I have finally realized that the closed nature of the DT 770s has been the culprit causing a skin reaction behind my ears, especially during hot temperature, which is often the case where I live. So I need some headphones that do not clamp onto my ears and give plenty of air and breathing space around my ears.

However, at the same time I do not want to go too over the top right now, and I would prefer some headphones that did not require a standalone amp to even be worth getting. I want something that is still worth it assuming I never pair it with an amp and only use it with something like a Creative Titanium HD or Creative ZxR the entire time I have it. These headphones will primarily be used for gaming (many different genres, including FPS) and movies. I do listen to a little bit of music, but not often, and probably too diverse to pick headphones based on my music preferences.

I notice the HD598s come up a lot in discussions about similar things I am looking for. Are these really the best option in my case, or are there other alternatives that match all the qualities I am looking for (or perhaps the HD598s even mismatch me in someway)?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back