Comfortable IEM for laptop with onboard sound
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

AudNoob

New Head-Fier
I probably won't get much quality or the full potential of earphones out of my laptop with onboard sound, but I'm willing to drop $500 if the sound isn't wasted (i.e. I don't want to buy an amp or anything, but I also don't want to waste my money if I don't have to). So $500 may or may not be a waste of money, but if so then I just want something comfortable because my skin is extra sensitive, including the inside of my ears so any little irritation can be caused by minor touches so these really have to be comfortable. Thanks for any good suggestions

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 24
Something from Shure maybe? I find them the most comfortable in general if you change out the stock cables and tips. The stock tips can be a little hard and the stock cable is quite stiff and just annoying to deal with. Or maybe something from Westone would work too or if you're willing to spend more one of the universal fits from JH Audio but they can be a little big so maybe it won't be that comfortable. Also when using it with you're laptop one thing to take into consideration is the impedance mismatch that might happen since a lot of IEMs have quite a low impedance. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 24
Something like Echobox Finder X-1's or Atomic Floyd Super Darts both just the tips touch your ears. I like comply tips with my Finders don't know for you though.

Oct 20, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 24
I probably won't get much quality or the full potential of earphones out of my laptop with onboard sound, but I'm willing to drop $500 if the sound isn't wasted (i.e. I don't want to buy an amp or anything, but I also don't want to waste my money if I don't have to). So $500 may or may not be a waste of money, but if so then I just want something comfortable because my skin is extra sensitive, including the inside of my ears so any little irritation can be caused by minor touches so these really have to be comfortable. Thanks for any good suggestions

I know you say you don't want an amp, but I have an option that will truly make a nice pair of IEMs sound better. And it's SO SMALL, there's no hassle involved with using it. And hey, if you don't find it worth it, just return the bloody thing. No harm, no foul. But you'll love it. Trust me.

AudioQuest Dragonfly RED

And for the IEMs of infinite comfort and great sound....
Klipsch X12i

Oct 21, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #5 of 24
I know you say you don't want an amp, but I have an option that will truly make a nice pair of IEMs sound better. And it's SO SMALL, there's no hassle involved with using it. And hey, if you don't find it worth it, just return the bloody thing. No harm, no foul. But you'll love it. Trust me.

AudioQuest Dragonfly RED

And for the IEMs of infinite comfort and great sound....
Klipsch X12i

Not being an audiophile, I don't exactly understand what the Dragonfly does. I thought the audio output quality was limited by the source file (the music file), and then the source hardware (the sound provided by my laptop)? How does adding in an extra layer of hardware on top of the inferior laptop hardware improve anything, if the audio quality output is poor to begin with (poor quality through the laptop hardware being sent to the Dragonfly)?

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 24
Not being an audiophile, I don't exactly understand what the Dragonfly does. I thought the audio output quality was limited by the source file (the music file), and then the source hardware (the sound provided by my laptop)? How does adding in an extra layer of hardware on top of the inferior laptop hardware improve anything, if the audio quality output is poor to begin with (poor quality through the laptop hardware being sent to the Dragonfly)?
The Dragonfly is sent the file directly bypassing the onboard equipment over USB .

Oct 21, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 24
But the Dragonfly connects to the onboard equipment via audio jack? How can it bypass it when it's directly connected into the onboard port?
The Dragonfly connects via USB .

Oct 22, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 24
Oct 22, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 24
The IBM Simon smartphone. It has a 2.4 kbps Hayes-compatible modem, a 33-pin connector, a 9.6 kbps Group 3 send-and-receive fax, I/O connection port, and a PCMCIA type 2 in addition to a microphone input. No USB.

:)

That phone doesn't sound smart to me. :)

Oct 22, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 24
That phone doesn't sound smart to me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Back then it was probably pretty damn smart. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back