Comfortable Headphones for Indie/Dubstep
Jan 5, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #18 of 33
Please help me! After about 70 hours of burn-in with my SRH840's, I feel that the sound, compared to my ws55's, is not justifiable for the price. I know they have completely different sound signatures, and I think the Shure's respond to indie/classical music better, but dubstep through the ws55's is much more enjoyable than the Shure's. I'm sort of a purist, so I feel that equalizing the Shure's for more bass emphasis can't justify the $200 they are ($120 more than the ws55's).

What should I do? Should I sell the SRH840's? 

If I do sell the SRH840's, I would be interested in semi-open headphones as I would like a larger soundstage without sacrificing a lot of bass, or a closed headphone with both bass and mid emphasis. I was thinking Sennheiser HD's, or DT880's for semi-open, and Mad Dog's, DT770, or ue6000 for closed.

Also, which of the HD's has the most bass and mid emphasis? Which impendence for the DT's?

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #20 of 33
For indie and some electronic music listening out of a phone, I really find that the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is a really fun set of cans. They're made almost entirely out of stainless steel, and have a solid bump to the bass, but not in a boomy annoying way like the beats. You can get them for 200 bucks and at that price point I think they're really pretty great. The sub-bass isn't really super present for stuff like dubstep IMO, as I enjoy really hard sub bass for that, but it's nothing a little EQing won't solve. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #21 of 33
For indie and some electronic music listening out of a phone, I really find that the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is a really fun set of cans. They're made almost entirely out of stainless steel, and have a solid bump to the bass, but not in a boomy annoying way like the beats. You can get them for 200 bucks and at that price point I think they're really pretty great. The sub-bass isn't really super present for stuff like dubstep IMO, as I enjoy really hard sub bass for that, but it's nothing a little EQing won't solve. 

What about the over-ear model?

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #26 of 33
What about semi-open headphones?
Which in the HD series has the most prominent bass (and mids)?

I would probably say the HD650 has more of a bass/mid emphasis. Some people call them "dark" sounding, but to me all of the headphones in the HD series sound pretty much flat so I don't get that. Not sure the HDs are what you want for dubstep, and you'd need a good amp to even hear most of what any of those headphones are outputting. You can't really use them plugged into your phone. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 33
Buy a Fiio E7, it's a portable Amp as well as a USB DAC. It's $60 on Amazon atm, and it works well. it also has an EQ menu where you can adjust the sound to your liking. If you don't want a DAC, go for the slightly cheaper E11.

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #28 of 33
Yeah I have an E7 and it'll work. Having that setup would sacrifice a lot of the portability that the Momentum would give you, but it would work well if you're down to carry an amp around with you. 

Jan 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #29 of 33
Buy a Fiio E7, it's a portable Amp as well as a USB DAC. It's $60 on Amazon atm, and it works well. it also has an EQ menu where you can adjust the sound to your liking. If you don't want a DAC, go for the slightly cheaper E11.

I know, I do my research :)
I researched that they, paired with the SRH840's, don't make a significant improvement. Is that true? Paired with the Mad Dog's? Would the amplifier be powerful enough to drive the DT770's? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back