Comfortable, flexible cable upgrade Shure se425?
May 11, 2015 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

comfortPlox

100+ Head-Fier
I need a new cable for my Shure earphones. I would like build quality that will last me a while. I just want it to be comfortable. I tried silver plated copper occ and it just hurts, because the cable is too stiff. Please help me find a good replacement cable for around $60. I don't know about sound quality improvements. I just want good build quality that will be comfortable wear.

Thanks!

May 19, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #5 of 12
Well you could get another silver plated copper and just use your make-shift skills to add some softer padding around the ear hooks. I have a pair of se215 and I use a fiio upgrade cable for them, which can start to hurt after long sessions. Using some heat shrink around it or something else to pad the rigidity of the cable may help. You can also go with a more standard rubber cable, though there don't seen to be many quality ones of this type. Search on Amazon for "shure se cable" and you will see many options to consider.

May 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 12
Really, yours didn't come with memory wire? My stock cable had it. I personally didn't care for the memory wire as it still could get uncomfortable (just not as soon), but it made it much harder to insert the earpieces as you have to unbend them, wait for the foam to fully form in, and carefully bend it around without loosening your fit, and then they also didn't hold position that great anyway. Memory wire was just really annoying to me. You can also just make your own memory wire with a piece of paper clip and heat shrink.

May 19, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Oh ok. Is you stock cable comfortable? Did your occ have a thin layer of shrink over it? Mine has a very thin clear one that helps keep the cable in a curved shape for ear hooks without being too stiff, not sure if yours did.

May 19, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Try the Fiio upgrade cable. That's what I use with mine, and the improvement in clarity (and the reduction in mass) is worthwhile.

May 19, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 12
you may have also not been able to see it, as the one on my fiio cable is near invisible. I would reccomend trying another upgrade cable such as the fiio one, and then try replicating the memory wire if you find it uncomfortable. You can also buy some faux leather for very cheap and wrap that around the ear hooks, as it's basically the material used in most on ear/over ear headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back