Comfortable comfortable comfortable headphones for my sister
Nov 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

b00tang

Head-Fier
I searched back for a while and didn't find the answer I was looking for so:

My sister wants headphones for christmas because the ibuds hurt her ears too much. Thats all the info I have to work with so I'm fishing for ideas. Since she has only ever heard ibuds I bet I could get her something for ~50$ and she will still be happy with the improvement.

I think earbuds are probably a bad idea to go with unless yuin's are really way more comfortable than ibuds. I'm nervous of normal IEM's for her because I'm not sure how she will do with sticking something into her ear canal (I am happy with my UE triple.fi 10s but they are only actually comfortable with comply tips... I doubt I can expect her to replace tips once a month). I remember when I first stepped away from ibuds years ago I went for some sony headphones that sit in your ears sideways and those were pretty comfortable... maybe something like this ? Any ideas?

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 15
JVC HA-FX66 is a good intro to IEMs and doesn't require you to change the tips every month. I'm sporting the same tips I had on my pair when I got them back in January.

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 15
Sennheiser PX-100's would be a good candidate if you're looking to move away from IEM/buds. They're fairly lightweight and thus comfortable, sound much better than stock iPod IEMs and are in your budget.

'Course they're not w/o downside depending on usage, but...

Nov 24, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by b00tang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My sister wants headphones for christmas because the ibuds hurt her ears too much. Thats all the info I have to work with so I'm fishing for ideas. Since she has only ever heard ibuds I bet I could get her something for ~50$ and she will still be happy with the improvement.

Any ideas?

Search KSC75 and PX100? Both are a vast improvement over the Ibuds and should offer a more comfortable fit. If she doesn't like things in her ear I would avoid other Buds and IEMs.

Good Luck!

Nov 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Well it looks like the JVC FX-66 just use the standard rubber tips so I doubt those would ever need to be replaced... are they actually more comfortable than any of the other IEMs that use rubber tips? I'll keep the PX100s in mind in case I decide to go on ear instead of in ear, but she wants to use them at the gym so I'll exhaust the smaller options first. I don't think she is quite ready for the UM1s, but are they so comfy because they use foam tips or is there another reason?

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 15
The FX-66 SHOULD be more comfortable since it uses the rubber tips(more comfortable than foam) and they are not a deep inserted IEM.
31QjtiwrAFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Nov 24, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Well it looks like the JVC FX-66 just use the standard rubber tips so I doubt those would ever need to be replaced... are they actually more comfortable than any of the other IEMs that use rubber tips? I'll keep the PX100s in mind in case I decide to go on ear instead of in ear, but she wants to use them at the gym so I'll exhaust the smaller options first. I don't think she is quite ready for the UM1s, but are they so comfy because they use foam tips or is there another reason?

If it weren't for the wires, I'd barely notice them in my ears when I use the small size or medium size silicone tips. My sister also thought they were more comfortable than her HA-FX33 Marshmallows. I can't compare against a larger range of the more expensive options, but at $30, I feel the comfort is quite good.

If she does decide to go against in-ears though, you really can't go wrong with the KSC 75, Senn. PX100 or Koss PortaPro.

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

I think earbuds are probably a bad idea to go with unless yuin's are really way more comfortable than ibuds. I'm nervous of normal IEM's for her because I'm not sure how she will do with sticking something into her ear canal (I am happy with my UE triple.fi 10s but they are only actually comfortable with comply tips... I doubt I can expect her to replace tips once a month). I remember when I first stepped away from ibuds years ago I went for some sony headphones that sit in your ears sideways and those were pretty comfortable... maybe something like this ? Any ideas?

Go to Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips, Noise Reduction Earphones, and Mobile Phone Earsets with Noise Reduction. and look under Comply Whoomp! Earbud Enhancers. These are designed to make the iPod earbuds more comfortable and stable in the bowl of the ear. Dr. Bob (President of Hearing Components, inventors of the above product.)

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #10 of 15
While those would make the ipod earbuds more comfortable, I doubt they'd do anything beneficial to the horrendous sound. For $20 why not just buy some new phones that both have the comfort and better sound?

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While those would make the ipod earbuds more comfortable, I doubt they'd do anything beneficial to the horrendous sound. For $20 why not just buy some new phones that both have the comfort and better sound?

Actually, the Whoomp!™ have been designed with several "port" holes that improve the sound of standard round earbuds. The Comply™ Foam provides a better seal, allowing users to listen at lower volumes (great hearing protection
normal_smile .gif
) and a secure in-ear fit for active lifestyles.

-Jeff

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 15
For the money, she probably can't beat the Koss KSC-75s for comfort and sound. The Koss, KSC-35 version, were my first love in portable phones. During a sale, I ordered six, just in case.

For a big step up in sound (and price), the Klipsch Image X5s are half-price at $125 until Nov. 30, I believe.

The Images are soo-o comfy, easy to put in and care for. I would recommend them even to a newby. And the SQ is great.

This is a really good deal, that is nearly over.

For more info, see the Klipsch headfi.

Hope this helps,
- Hatmann

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #13 of 15
well I think I can definitely pick up the HA-FX66s and the KSC-75s for her and see if she likes either of those. They are cheap enough that it isn't much of a risk. Although I think she might like the idea of the whoomps, like I said: I don't think I could convince her to use complys that need tip replacement ever 2-4 weeks (I can barely convince myself to stick with them, its a love hate relationship). I'll also have to read up on those fancy Klipsch ear gels... I wonder if those make other IEMs more comfortable too.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

I'll also have to read up on those fancy Klipsch ear gels... I wonder if those make other IEMs more comfortable too.

bOOtang,
Brilliant suggestion, and since I'm sitting here nursing an injury from a fall, I could test it immediately.

I slipped the Klipsch ear gels (double flange, medium size) onto my trusty Ety 6is.

They are a perfect fit. The Etys now are as comfy as the Klipsch Images.

The Images are still an improvement soundwise over the baby Etys. But in this quick and dirty test, even the sound of the Etys seem improved with the Klipsch tips.

I think we are on to something!

Will report back as I learn more......

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 15
My experience is that the females in my world, home, work, young, mature, do not like iem style earphones. You get noise when you walk, eat, and heaven forbid you sneeze. Many people (male/female) don't like the KSC75 because of the way they mount on your ears. I would recommend the PX100, great sound for the price, white looks nice, easy to manipulate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back