Comfortable closed can recommendations
Jan 26, 2011 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

neybar

New Head-Fier
I've been using a pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones for 4 years or so.  I've loved them so far.

At my new place of employment I'm finding that it is quite a bit noisier, so I'd like to get a pair of closed cans.

I primarily listen to electronic/techno/alternative rock with some classical and jazz thrown in.  I'm a programmer so I generally have my music on to slip into the zone and buffer me from the rest of the office.  I also primarily have these hooked up to a macbook pro laptop (intel soundcard).

I really like the sound of my current headphones so I've been looking at other senheisers.  I've heard that the senn hd280 pro's are hard to wear for more than an hour or so at a time, so I haven't put them on my list.

My budget is around $200 or so.  I'm also planning on buying a usb dac (probably either the nuforce udac2 or the fiiO e7).

What recommendations do you all have for closed cans that are comfortable enough to be worn for long stretches of time?

Here are a few that have come up in my research:

ATH-A700
Sennheiser HD25-1
Beyerdynamic DT-770 (little worried about driving these properly.  DAC should help there though).

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 23
I think the dt770 are really comfortable. They also offer some of the best sound isolation out of closed headphones. There is a 32ohm version if you are worried about driving them if you can find them for that price. The d2000 is also a great choice. Less isolation, but they have a nice sound and easy to drive.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 23
I've test-drived both the dt770 and D2000 in the workplace.

Well, the dt770 are on the face of it are very light cans with that soft velour padding. But in my experience they don't have the greatest sound isolation and the padding is a little on the thin side so there's a slight extra pressure on the side temple just above the ear which can become fatiging. They sound great, but having ambient work sounds mixed in with the music can be a bit irritating, unless you're going to whack up the volume.

The D2000, really are a very comfortable headphone, and can be worn for hours on end without any issues. Again though the problem of sound isolation comes up, even worse than the dt770. Ambient room sounds of people generally talking and making a racket do leak through into the music listening experience and sometimes it can become irritating enough having such a mixture to just pause the music until things quieten down again, which defeats the purpose a bit.

Just my 2p.

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 23
Actually I disagree with kingstyles, I found they have great sound isolation but I guess its a matter of opinion. You can always get the JMoney pads later or go with the MarkL Mods along with the cups like I have and they turn from a decent headphone to an outstanding one. I used to drive the D2000s with a Udac 2 and they sounded great if you're on the fence in getting that dac,

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Beyerdynamic DT250, will have the most balanced sound out of all phones mentioned, will also have better isolation than a D2000 and is easy to power unlike the DT770. Will also be better SQ and comfort that m50, hence I feel it is the best closed phone for the price.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 23
About two months ago I was deciding between the ATH M50 and the DT770 Pro 80. I went with the M50 because they were cheaper, more portable, better isolating, and easier to drive. I kind of wish I had gone with the DT770 sometimes because they were INSANELY comfortable in the store and I got a Fiio E7 anyway. Ultimately I think the M50 was a better bang for my buck but man I loved the way the DT felt on my head.

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 23

Quote:
About two months ago I was deciding between the ATH M50 and the DT770 Pro 80. I went with the M50 because they were cheaper, more portable, better isolating, and easier to drive. I kind of wish I had gone with the DT770 sometimes because they were INSANELY comfortable in the store and I got a Fiio E7 anyway. Ultimately I think the M50 was a better bang for my buck but man I loved the way the DT felt on my head.

You don't need to have any regrets about the DT770-80.  Comfort is nice, but in terms of sound quality I think you would have bigger regrets if you kept them.  In due time, the pounding bass and intense highs would have made music literally a painful to listen to and then they would be uncomfortable to wear from the inside of your head.

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Beyerdynamic DT250, will have the most balanced sound out of all phones mentioned, will also have better isolation than a D2000 and is easy to power unlike the DT770. 

It could be a good choice. They are very comfortable and well sealed. You wont have to worry about people near you. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #14 of 23
I went to a local audio store last night and tried a few cans on.  I think I have it narrowed (ha!) down to these three:

BT 770 Pro
AKG K271 MKII
Shure SRH840

All three of them were quite comfy, and seemed to do a good job of isolation.  I can't decide on which one I think sounds better though.  I know that brand new phones will change sound signatures over time.

My impressions in the store where that both the AKG and BT's had very similar tonal qualities.  I think the BT's had more bass through.  The Shures seemed to have sharper med's and high's.

I think I'm going to try and stick to the 250 ohm versions (where it's an option) and drive them with the fiiO e7. 

Does anyone have any advice on those three phones?

Also just as a curiosity, does anyone know what ohm levels a new macbook pro can drive?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back