Comfort mod: HD650 headband padding on the Pro 900
Nov 11, 2011 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
My only problem with the Ultrasone Pro 900 is that like every other Ultrasone can I've tried, they tend to hurt the top of my skull after about an hour or two because the measly little pad on the headband manages to somehow rest the entire weight of the headphones right on the dome of the skull. I had a set of HFI-680 some 3 years ago, so I knew what I was getting into when I ordered the Pro 900 - but this time I had a plan...

What you'll need:

1 pair of Ultrasone full-size headphones - You probably already have those, since you're reading this.
Velcro (2x10cm, both the soft and the rough side) - Visit your local crafts store. Make sure you get the stuff with adhesive backing.
1 Sennheiser spare part #088597 - Google is your friend. I live in Denmark and got it from Germany, just search for that specific Sennheiser part number and find a seller close to you.

First, peel of the standard pad. It's glued in place, but with a dull knife you'll be able to loosen one of the corners of the pad, then it just peels right off. That should leave your Ultrasone headband with a small recess like this:

Fill that with the soft part of the velcro:

Then you add the rough piece of velcro to the back side of the Sennheiser headband pad:

And then it's just a matter of placing the padding on the headband:

A total effort of about 15 minutes of work, after I figured out the best way of doing it. The mod is VERY easily reversed or you could experiment with different kinds of padding - now you just have to add velcro to whatever padding your want to try and slap it on your Ultrasones. The Sennheiser pad is A LOT more comfortable than the stock pad!

Edit: JayKay reported that for you guys in the US, the easiest and cheapest way to get the HD650 pad is to call Sennheiser and order that specific part number (088597). The lucky person even got it much cheaper than what I paid in Germany!

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 77
Wow awesome job.  Thanks for sharing.  Looks like an incredibly easy way to improve the comfort of the Ultrasone line.

Nov 11, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #3 of 77
Im planning to do this mod on mine. Its time to DIY!

Cheers mate. Nice job. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 77
Looks very slick.
Think I'll give it a go if I get my hands on a HD650 headband. How much did the headband cost around?

Nov 12, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #6 of 77
Thanks for the feedback guys! 
smily_headphones1.gif

The Sennheiser pad cost me €11 + shipping, your best bet would be simply to do a Google search for "Sennheiser 088597" or call your local Sennheiser dealer, they should be able to get it for you.

Nov 12, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 77
Excellent thank you for this, my 900's are very new but i think i'll have to do this.

I get along great with the velvet earpads, now they've softened up a bit, but i can slightly feel that headband and see why some find it irritating.

Luckily i have a double crown so me head is nice and flat, meaning i can get away without this for now.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 77
Sorensiim,

Top job.  Simple, well explained, great photos, and well executed professional result.

I don't have an issue with the comfort of the Pro900, however plenty of people do, so great contribution.

Nov 12, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 77

Quote:
I think i'll do this with my DJ1's. :D

Go! Be sure to post your results!

Quote:
Excellent thank you for this, my 900's are very new but i think i'll have to do this.

I get along great with the velvet earpads, now they've softened up a bit, but i can slightly feel that headband and see why some find it irritating.

Luckily i have a double crown so me head is nice and flat, meaning i can get away without this for now.

The headband started to really hurt my noggin after an hour or two but after the mod I just love how the Pro 900 feels. It doesn't dissappear on your head like the AD700 or W1000 does but it doesnt crush your skull either. A secure, but comfortable grip. 

Quote:
Sorensiim,

Top job.  Simple, well explained, great photos, and well executed professional result.

I don't have an issue with the comfort of the Pro900, however plenty of people do, so great contribution.

Thank you very much :)

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 77
Anyone know a similar foam headband that can be bought in the US? Or a suggested foam product I can do similar with? Because I'm about to Saran wrap marshmallows around my uncomfortable JVC DX1000 headbands soon.  ^^;

Nov 13, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 77

Quote:
Anyone know a similar foam headband that can be bought in the US? Or a suggested foam product I can do similar with? Because I'm about to Saran wrap marshmallows around my uncomfortable JVC DX1000 headbands soon.  ^^;

You can get the Sennheiser pad in the US as well - Just ask for that specific part number at a Sennheiser retailer close to you.

Nov 13, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #13 of 77
Do you refer to a Sennheiser specific store, or a place like 'Guitar Center', that sells the HD650...?

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 77

Quote:
Do you refer to a Sennheiser specific store, or a place like 'Guitar Center', that sells the HD650...?

Any authorized Sennheiser retailer should be able to get you that spare part, but Google will probably be able to find you an online retailer that has the part in stock :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back