Colorfly CK4 first review
Jul 27, 2011 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 254

stevenich

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

This is my first review so be easy:)

I just received a CK4 from Musicaacoustics.com. Delivery and price was awesome!! Dimitri was great to deal with.

I will keep this very simple.

The Good:

-This unit offers the highest quality sound I have heard from a portable player(Some exceptions explained later). This includes modded first gen Ipods, Hifiman 60X. The internal amplifier is also very good. Still not as good as the external portable RSA, ALO and the like.
-The unit is easy to use. Menu's are very plain. The unit is quick to respond.
-WAV, FLAC and Mp3's sounded Awesome!!
-Firmware was easy to update
-USB transfer was very fast. It has to be at least 2.0.
-Video quality is average
-The "line-out" sound quality was very good. My Modified NAIM CD player was only slightly better! Mainly low end and imaging was better. The CK4 held it's owwn for sure.
-Came with Audio Technica A770 ear buds. Not bad!!

The Bad:

-24/192Khz BIT HD files I played had "ticks and pops" like album static. This was on every track I listened to. The sound quality was amazing between these audible noises:)
-The MicroSD slot is hard to use. I also expect problems from this design if the slot is used regularly.
-No Touch screen features on the nice display. Ok, so I am spoiled with my many phones and Ipods. This is a personal bother more than anything.
-HD playback only supported on WAV files
-The "Music" folder is not seen by Windows 7. I can't copy files directly to the Music folder. I had to copy everything to the root folder. The unit updates the files but doesn't put them in the proper folders.
-Headphone jack doesn't support IEM's with mic(like ones used on Iphones). No issue for me but Phonak and Klipsch users beware:)
-Pop and clicks when selecting certain menu's.
-There are no instructions in English at all. To get the unit to the "English" settings requires you guess at the menus until you find it:) It was almost fun.
-User defined EQ bands are very generic. I would like to see a 20Hz-20Khz 31 band, but I'm just dreaming:)

Conclusion:

If you are looking for an incredible sounding source for your MP3, WAV and FLAC files and  you don't mind the bad points above then this is your unit!! If you have GB's of WAV files and you want to see how good they can sound, go for it (I did:)) The ~250.00USD price is fair for the quality parts in the unit and the sound is quite good. "Expect nothing more" than great sound and you will be fine.

If you want a player with Wi-Fi, touchscreen, pandora or Spotify interface this isn't for you. This unit offers no neat or convenient features.

I think the unit could be improved alot with firmware updates and that is why I am keeping it. The WAV files simply sound awesome.

I can post menu pics if people want.

I also received a pair of Ortofon e-Q5's. I will review them after the "burn in" period:) Initially they are quite good!!

I hope my first review format is OK.

-Steve

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 254
Hi!

How is the build quality? I've heard negative stories.

And also about how it freezes a lot. May have been fixed with recent firmware update though. 

Finally, what was the price you got from Dimitri?

Jul 28, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 254

Quote:
How is the build quality? I've heard negative stories.

-Build quality is average. Not quite Iphone.

Quote:
And also about how it freezes a lot. May have been fixed with recent firmware update though.

-Mine has not frozen yet. 3 days into it.

Quote:
Finally, what was the price you got from Dimitri?

-248.00USD plus 13.00 EMS shipping:) Great price

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 254
Is it 16GB high end version?

Aug 1, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 254

Quote:
Hi Guys,

This is my first review so be easy:)

I just received a CK4 from Musicaacoustics.com. Delivery and price was awesome!! Dimitri was great to deal with.

I will keep this very simple.

The Good:

-This unit offers the highest quality sound I have heard from a portable player(Some exceptions explained later). This includes modded first gen Ipods, Hifiman 60X. The internal amplifier is also very good. Still not as good as the external portable RSA, ALO and the like.
-The unit is easy to use. Menu's are very plain. The unit is quick to respond.
-WAV, FLAC and Mp3's sounded Awesome!!
-Firmware was easy to update
-USB transfer was very fast. It has to be at least 2.0.
-Video quality is average
-The "line-out" sound quality was very good. My Modified NAIM CD player was only slightly better! Mainly low end and imaging was better. The CK4 held it's owwn for sure.
-Came with Audio Technica A770 ear buds. Not bad!!

The Bad:

-24/192Khz BIT HD files I played had "ticks and pops" like album static. This was on every track I listened to. The sound quality was amazing between these audible noises:)
-The MicroSD slot is hard to use. I also expect problems from this design if the slot is used regularly.
-No Touch screen features on the nice display. Ok, so I am spoiled with my many phones and Ipods. This is a personal bother more than anything.
-HD playback only supported on WAV files
-The "Music" folder is not seen by Windows 7. I can't copy files directly to the Music folder. I had to copy everything to the root folder. The unit updates the files but doesn't put them in the proper folders.
-Headphone jack doesn't support IEM's with mic(like ones used on Iphones). No issue for me but Phonak and Klipsch users beware:)
-Pop and clicks when selecting certain menu's.
-There are no instructions in English at all. To get the unit to the "English" settings requires you guess at the menus until you find it:) It was almost fun.
-User defined EQ bands are very generic. I would like to see a 20Hz-20Khz 31 band, but I'm just dreaming:)

Conclusion:

If you are looking for an incredible sounding source for your MP3, WAV and FLAC files and  you don't mind the bad points above then this is your unit!! If you have GB's of WAV files and you want to see how good they can sound, go for it (I did:)) The ~250.00USD price is fair for the quality parts in the unit and the sound is quite good. "Expect nothing more" than great sound and you will be fine.

If you want a player with Wi-Fi, touchscreen, pandora or Spotify interface this isn't for you. This unit offers no neat or convenient features.

I think the unit could be improved alot with firmware updates and that is why I am keeping it. The WAV files simply sound awesome.

I can post menu pics if people want.

I also received a pair of Ortofon e-Q5's. I will review them after the "burn in" period:) Initially they are quite good!!

I hope my first review format is OK.

-Steve

Got my e-Q5 from Dimitri when this came out and also C4 Hifi Pocket player which produces absolute amazing sound quality but pricy compared to plastic-made Ck4
Wondering if any one has both C4 and Ck4 to write a comparison review between this two?

BTW. eQ5 is a BA so sound does not change much after burning period.. at least that is what I concluded
etysmile.gif

Aug 1, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #7 of 254
I also enjoy my player about 4 months (was about 250USD with tax), and mine never freezed.
Quiet sure that for this price cannot beat anything. Even if there are these big issues.
I use the line out with Headstage Arrow 12HE 3G (refurbished one for 250USD, but arrived in 2weeks...).
Maybe I will get some better earphones too...but now Im quiet satisfied with the sound.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 254
I just got mine today, i think it is one of the best daps around.  I am a bit upset about the lack of SD playlist support.  Seems you can only favorite songs on the colorflys hd, if the music is on an sd card you cant favorite and add to a playlist

if i am wrong and you can please let me know how

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #10 of 254
Colorfly assured me the "popping" noise on HD 192Khz files was due to "Clock noise" and would be addressed in the upcoming firmware update. They didn't give me an ETA for the new firmware:frowning2:

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 254
Is it as good as a j3?

I have a "Voodoo" hacked Samgung Galaxy, Cowon D2+, MANY Ipods/Iphones, Meizu 4GB and the CK4 is the best sounding DAP I have. It is also the heaviest. It's GUI is very crude, but simple. HUGE screen without touch capabilities.

The sound of .WAV files is simple awesome on my Ortofon e-Q5 and Beyer DT1350!! Too heavy for the Gym. Do NOT use the built in EQ. It's very noisy.

Best 250.00 SOund for my ears so far:)

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #12 of 254
^ Agreed, no portable dap I have ever used sounded this vast and clear.  It is very laid back and smooth, lacks sparkle and kick.  Lacks the power they claimed, its not as powerful as the sansa fuze, but it is much more clear and spacious sounding. I owned the cowon s9 and did not keep it, the sound didn't really impress me and I wanted to return it almost immediately.  I do not feel like I want to return the ck4.  Firmware updates are very much needed

-Playlist support
-Full internal hard drive + SD card filing browsing at the same time and with the ability to shuffle all media regardless where it is stored, like a fuze will. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back