Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread
Jan 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,001 of 3,325
Havent been using the c3 for ages. Than I got a pair of Trinity audio pm4.

That I tried them.

Then magic happened.

Oddly enough to my ears that combo sounded very harsh metallic and artificial overall with a noticeable bass roll of and terrible instrument separation
And i ve been using mostly the gold undamped filters with PM4...

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,003 of 3,325
Thanks man i have ordered walnut too but i can cancel that order during the week depending on your info and your overall impressions with C3 and maybe go after a toppingNX1 or a bluebird amp
Waiting for your first impressions with anticipation, and for the record recently have been very disappointed having discovered that trinity PM4 isnt a good pair with C3

Well don't hold your breath, I hope it arrives this week but could be the next!

Oddly enough to my ears that combo sounded very harsh metallic and artificial overall with a noticeable bass roll of and terrible instrument separation
And i ve been using mostly the gold undamped filters with PM4...

Don't base your purchasing decision (or cancellation decision in this case) from my impressions, audio equipment is really a very subjective thing. I quite liked the Alien, I know of others whom were unimpressed by it. Here you point out one user being chuffed with a particular combo but you yourself left unimpressed. I could praise the walnut and then you receive your own one and be utterly disappointed with it. If there's one constant on headfi it's that you don't have to read very far till you get to the disagreement posts! There is a magnitude of variables that account for different perceptions to audio gear, files, music genre, listening volumes, headphones, as well as just basic personal preferences, what pleases one doesn't necessarily mean it will please the others.

FWIW I will be pairing my walnut with PFE 232's and Yamaha EPH100's. I will be judging hiss and volume output as well as how well it can handle those volumes before distortion kicks in. Those are my main concerns, after that I get onto soundstaging, separation etc.

Jan 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,004 of 3,325
Hey guys!
i formatted a 64GB Toshiba using both easeus and fat32format but nothing worked.It is listed as fat32 but every time it says "no files".Any ideas?
thanks.

I'm guessing you have used other cards in it and the onboard memory is working okay? Maybe reset using the small hole above the USB port. That has worked miracles for me in the past. I use fat32formatter as well, no issues.

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #3,005 of 3,325
Hi, I just got a colorfly c3.  So far really enjoying it, but I have the click/pop between tracks issue and wasn't keen on reading through all 200 pages of posts to see if there was a fix.   Has anyone found a fix for this or is it something we have to deal with - maybe the price to pay for such fine audio from such a low cost player? :)

Jan 31, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #3,006 of 3,325
I'm guessing you have used other cards in it and the onboard memory is working okay? Maybe reset using the small hole above the USB port. That has worked miracles for me in the past. I use fat32formatter as well, no issues.

Yes.Onboard memory works fine.Before posting i tried two 16 and 8 GB cards.Both worked.Shortly after i changed the partition (64GB) from logical to primary and now it works.So problem solved.Thanks though!

@Bluewave  http://www.colorfly.eu/download.html (bottom)
No update.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #3,007 of 3,325
Hi, I just got a colorfly c3.  So far really enjoying it, but I have the click/pop between tracks issue and wasn't keen on reading through all 200 pages of posts to see if there was a fix.   Has anyone found a fix for this or is it something we have to deal with - maybe the price to pay for such fine audio from such a low cost player? :)

C3 doesn't like metadata that much so if you strip the tags you should be fine. I use Foobar2000 and remove during the transfer process but I know others use some sort of tag-removal program after too.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #3,008 of 3,325
Didnt mean to 

Don't base your purchasing decision (or cancellation decision in this case) from my impressions, audio equipment is really a very subjective thing. I quite liked the Alien, I know of others whom were unimpressed by it. Here you point out one user being chuffed with a particular combo but you yourself left unimpressed. I could praise the walnut and then you receive your own one and be utterly disappointed with it. If there's one constant on headfi it's that you don't have to read very far till you get to the disagreement posts! There is a magnitude of variables that account for different perceptions to audio gear, files, music genre, listening volumes, headphones, as well as just basic personal preferences, what pleases one doesn't necessarily mean it will please the others.

FWIW I will be pairing my walnut with PFE 232's and Yamaha EPH100's. I will be judging hiss and volume output as well as how well it can handle those volumes before distortion kicks in. Those are my main concerns, after that I get onto soundstaging, separation etc.

Yes i can see your point here man,just expressing my opinion here, nothing more than that
Didnt mean actually to offend anybody's feelings here,i received PM4 a month ago and despite all the negative rumors been around since those were released to the public i kept my pair and didnt try to get a refund from Trinity,And my recent criticism to PM4 was more like a comparison to the DUNU2000 or the FIDUE A73 .Its always a matter of personal taste and prefference,its just that i tried so hard with the filter switching on the PM4 in order to find a good resolution and descent instrument separation on higher volumes.Other than this PM4 offers plenty of headroom and wide/deep soundstage with the appropriate sources.Maybe C3 just isnt one ot those sources always in my modest personal opinion...
In contrary with sansa+ (and any other dap with < 0.1 headphone impedance maybe), its has been a pure pleasure to my ears

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #3,009 of 3,325
I'll be able to answer that shortly, the walnut has arrived in my country, hopefully in my hands before the week is out.
Thanks man i have ordered walnut too but i can cancel that order during the week depending on your info and your overall impressions with C3 and maybe go after a toppingNX1 or a bluebird amp
Waiting for your first impressions with anticipation, and for the record recently have been very disappointed having discovered that trinity PM4 isnt a good pair with C3

For me they match perfectly.

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,010 of 3,325
C3 doesn't like metadata that much so if you strip the tags you should be fine. I use Foobar2000 and remove during the transfer process but I know others use some sort of tag-removal program after too.

Wooooo!  The noise was so loud it was causing me to flinch on some tracks at high volume lol, was driving me nuts.  I stripped the metadata and its silent as a whisper.

beerchug.gif
 Thanks so much :) 

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #3,012 of 3,325

Well my walnut arrived today, and I did some very brief testing.

a) I expected it to be louder, given the bulk (and what others said), but it's only slightly louder than the C3 I think, I will test more with an A/B switch I have lying around tomorrow. Tested with only mp3 files that were replaygained (mp3gained) to 93db, listened to at max volume comfortably for me, I could go a few decibles louder to satisfy my ears, but I am known around these parts as liking my music very loud (extraordinarily loud), so take that with a pinch of salt. Certainly my AP100 plays same files a lot louder, than I'm sure of (I listen to my AP100 daily and used it this morning).

b) It FEELS light, but is oddly same weight as the C3 (98g), it's fascinating how holding the walnut feels lighter than the more compact C3 (which feels heavy) when in reality they are the same weight just different illusions.

c) The Walnut is hissy, a lot hissier than the C3, although it is oddly not an annoying hiss that I have come across on other DAPs, it's manageable, possibly even a non existent issue depending upon genre.

d) I LOVE how it resumes last place (exactly), and starts up IMMEDIATELY. This is a breath of fresh air in comparison with the annoying non autoresume, non immediate playback, annoying navigation of the C3. I've been using my C3 a lot in the car, and it's a PIA to fire up, I look forward to the instant playing of this, looking forward to trying it out in the car rig.

e) I paid 50% less for the Walnut, definitely good value in my eyes.

f) soundstage feels more narrow, more forward, but in a odd way pretty good and not a bad thing. Separartion and bass control seemed fine (at max volume), no distortion to my ears.

Tested with PFE 232's.

Further testing and pics to come...

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:57 AM Post #3,013 of 3,325

I was charging it through my laptop via a USB cable.
I was just wondering if it even has an indicator that says charging is complete.  Or do I just unplug when the bar is full. 

Since i'm not sure about this, consider it a guess (although i doubt  it's a coincidence)
After choosing the "Power Only" function it says "charging..." while showing a power plug with the battery bars on top.When the bars are moving, it's charging.When they are not moving, it's fully charged.

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #3,014 of 3,325
Anyone has problem with the touch buttons of the c3, the back button of the c3 seems to flash on its on randomly, making it near impossible to navigate. Tried cleaning the touch screen, didn't fix the problem. The problem only occurred months after owning the c3, never dropped it before. Seems like a hardware defect?

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,015 of 3,325

Well my walnut arrived today, and I did some very brief testing.

a) I expected it to be louder, given the bulk (and what others said), but it's only slightly louder than the C3 I think, I will test more with an A/B switch I have lying around tomorrow. Tested with only mp3 files that were replaygained (mp3gained) to 93db, listened to at max volume comfortably for me, I could go a few decibles louder to satisfy my ears, but I am known around these parts as liking my music very loud (extraordinarily loud), so take that with a pinch of salt. Certainly my AP100 plays same files a lot louder, than I'm sure of (I listen to my AP100 daily and used it this morning).

b) It FEELS light, but is oddly same weight as the C3 (98g), it's fascinating how holding the walnut feels lighter than the more compact C3 (which feels heavy) when in reality they are the same weight just different illusions.

c) The Walnut is hissy, a lot hissier than the C3, although it is oddly not an annoying hiss that I have come across on other DAPs, it's manageable, possibly even a non existent issue depending upon genre.

d) I LOVE how it resumes last place (exactly), and starts up IMMEDIATELY. This is a breath of fresh air in comparison with the annoying non autoresume, non immediate playback, annoying navigation of the C3. I've been using my C3 a lot in the car, and it's a PIA to fire up, I look forward to the instant playing of this, looking forward to trying it out in the car rig.

e) I paid 50% less for the Walnut, definitely good value in my eyes.

f) soundstage feels more narrow, more forward, but in a odd way pretty good and not a bad thing. Separartion and bass control seemed fine (at max volume), no distortion to my ears.

Tested with PFE 232's.

Further testing and pics to come...

Can you please elaborate more about the differences between c3 and walnut v2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back