Colorado Head-Fi Meet 2023 Saturday February 11th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #46 of 255
Yup! Every time I wanna upgrade something, a new LP I want becomes available haha
So what was the last LP you bought in 2020 and which was the first you bought in 2021?

My Chemical Romance Three cheers for Revenge was my last 2020 purchase.

A Perfect Circle eat the elephant was my first 2021

Jan 7, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #49 of 255
Jan 8, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #50 of 255
I'm not even on your level yet you guys why you gotta flex like that :frowning2:

Jan 9, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #51 of 255
@Strayngs, thanks! I've been really enjoying the Auteurs, very balanced, but smooth/natural, if not slightly warm, very nice so far! Better resolution/detail than my other cans too! The sound has filled out a bit since I first got them, they were new, but I've made a few tweaks already, different materials, to get a little more weight. I'm also trying out 3 ZMF pads as well as 2 others to hone in.

Those Kennerton headphones look really nice! Do you have a pair, or just the headbands?

I'm a big vinyl fan too, nothing quite like it, and have been for many decades now, pretty much all new stuff as well. Prices can be crazy, especially overseas. My best luck has been with Bandcamp.com, when I can, since I also get the immediate .flac download too, but shipping can be high and not combined. Bandcamp is also nice because the artists get a large portion of the proceeds, compared to other places. If it is an import, ImportCDs.com is great when they are doing a 10% off sale (few times a year), with combined shipping. As for hard to find and limited editions, Discogs.com can be great too, but expensive. Otherwise, sometimes it is best to just sign up for label/artist newsletters and get them while they last!

If you haven't checked out Diggers Factory yet, you really need to, very cool place! For those past albums that are impossible to find, or releases that were never on vinyl, you can fund a project, which just means that you put money down on a preorder and if they get enough they press the record! I've already participated and now have very limited releases that I otherwise would not be able to find. Quality has been topnotch as well!

Another recommendation of mine for vinyl is to load your cartridge if possible. Crazy to me that very few preamps often allow any variations, but if you can find a good one that does, it can really make a difference. If you don't have one or can't find one, you can also use resistors to achieve the desired affects. The main reason I use my Monolithic Sound (out of production) preamp still is due to this. When I use a different preamp or set the Monolithic Sound to the standard normally used by most, I'm just not happy at all, so much better when it is dialed-in for my particular cartridge! Of course, your mileage will vary based upon what cartridge you use.

Cheers to keeping vinyl alive! :beerchug:

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #52 of 255
I lied! I just bought the "tangerine" special edition of Dreamland from Glass Animals haha

Glass Animals are awesome! I really like that album too... might have to try to pick up a tangerine version myself! If they are still available...

Jan 9, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #53 of 255
@Strayngs, thanks! I've been really enjoying the Auteurs, very balanced, but smooth/natural, if not slightly warm, very nice so far! Better resolution/detail than my other cans too! The sound has filled out a bit since I first got them, they were new, but I've made a few tweaks already, different materials, to get a little more weight. I'm also trying out 3 ZMF pads as well as 2 others to hone in.

Those Kennerton headphones look really nice! Do you have a pair, or just the headbands?

I'm a big vinyl fan too, nothing quite like it, and have been for many decades now, pretty much all new stuff as well. Prices can be crazy, especially overseas. My best luck has been with Bandcamp.com, when I can, since I also get the immediate .flac download too, but shipping can be high and not combined. Bandcamp is also nice because the artists get a large portion of the proceeds, compared to other places. If it is an import, ImportCDs.com is great when they are doing a 10% off sale (few times a year), with combined shipping. As for hard to find and limited editions, Discogs.com can be great too, but expensive. Otherwise, sometimes it is best to just sign up for label/artist newsletters and get them while they last!

If you haven't checked out Diggers Factory yet, you really need to, very cool place! For those past albums that are impossible to find, or releases that were never on vinyl, you can fund a project, which just means that you put money down on a preorder and if they get enough they press the record! I've already participated and now have very limited releases that I otherwise would not be able to find. Quality has been topnotch as well!

Another recommendation of mine for vinyl is to load your cartridge if possible. Crazy to me that very few preamps often allow any variations, but if you can find a good one that does, it can really make a difference. If you don't have one or can't find one, you can also use resistors to achieve the desired affects. The main reason I use my Monolithic Sound (out of production) preamp still is due to this. When I use a different preamp or set the Monolithic Sound to the standard normally used by most, I'm just not happy at all, so much better when it is dialed-in for my particular cartridge! Of course, your mileage will vary based upon what cartridge you use.

Cheers to keeping vinyl alive! :beerchug:
I appreciate the tips....my preamp can load on the fly....pretty good stuff. I actually don’t have any headphone except Kennerton which have the Kennerton headband. I have the Thekk and Gjallarhorn JM.

Jan 9, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #54 of 255
I lied! I just bought the "tangerine" special edition of Dreamland from Glass Animals haha
Never heard of the Glass Animals until this. Quick listen on Tidal and now I have one on the way (blue edition as I dislike picture discs)

Thanks man

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #56 of 255
I agree, ZABA is the classic one from them and still my favorite, I couldn't really get into How to be a Human Being for some reason, but I like quite a bit of Dreamland.

Would be awesome to be able to see them this June at Red Rocks... just not sure how safe it will be even then, still up in the air I guess.

Glass Animals Red Rocks

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #58 of 255
Frankly, I just want to go back to Red Rocks for a show in general. We're so lucky to have the Ampitheatre here.

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #59 of 255
Excellent record setups! I've been looking for a starter table myself and the options are overwhelming. The ease of digital keeps my curiosity low-ish...for now.

Jan 18, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #60 of 255
Excellent record setups! I've been looking for a starter table myself and the options are overwhelming. The ease of digital keeps my curiosity low-ish...for now.
Once you do get into vinyl, it becomes a whole new rabbit hole to go down. It can also get expensive once you start hunting for albums you want. The upgrade bug for carts and other hardware can get you too haha Super worth it once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back