Color/cord options for UE-5C?
Nov 27, 2004 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

PhilS

Headphoneus Supremus
I thinking of ordering the ULtimate Ears UE-5C for use with a Rio Karma, and am wondering if you guys that already own any of the Ultimate Ears IEM's have any input on the earpiece color, the cord color, or the cord length. I was initially thinking of white for the earpiece and cord, figuring it would be easier to clean, since it would show dirt more easily. But then I wondered if the white would get yellowish eventually and whether the black would look newer longer and would go better with my Karma, since it is basically black and grey. (Plus all white is the ipod look, right?
smily_headphones1.gif
) In any event, I thought that those of you who have had these things for a while might be able to offer suggestions or input as to why you like the color you got, or why you wish you got a different color.

Also, any opinions as to cord color? Is there any benefit to the clear, or does it just make sense to match the color of the earpiece? As to cord length, they offer a 46" and a 64" cord? It would seem the 46" cord would be plenty long enough, since my Karma will generally be in my lap or attached to my belt. Any reason to order the 64" cord?

P.S. I am in So. Calif. in Orange County. Anybody have experience with an audiologist in Orange County for this purpose? I have an email from Mindy with some recommendations, but wondered if anybody on this forum had actual experience with of the audiologists in my area. Thanks for your help.

Nov 27, 2004 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 33
Mine are clear. The ability to see the internal drivers is nice, and it is the most discrete colour. I temporarily had the white colour and it was a dirty off-white colour, not the pure white it looks on the website.

If you notice there is a price difference between the two sizes. Just get a 64" cable with your UE-5c (included in the price) and then buy a second 46" cable.

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
Mine are clear. The ability to see the internal drivers is nice, and it is the most discrete colour. I temporarily had the white colour and it was a dirty off-white colour, not the pure white it looks on the website.

That's very helpful. I thought the white color on the website looked really nice, but I would definitely prefer something else if it is dirty off-white.

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 33
Hi!
The blue color is really nice. It is translucent rather than opaque. I would also be a little nervous about white, especially staying white for a long time . . .

Nov 27, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #5 of 33
Hi PhilS!

The color question -- so many choices! Actually they will even do two or three color swirls if you like, or try to match a swatch that you provide. They can, essentially, make any color you want! So the key is to first decide if you want a translucent color so you can see the drivers, or an opague color like white or black which hide the drivers. Mine are translucent blue and they are beautiful! I think black would show dirt more than white -- not necessarily a good thing. Clear is the most popular color.

Regardless of color the hard acrylic is incredibly easy to clean so there's no need to choose a color on that basis. Ultimate Ears sells a product called "Tech-care Clean Wipes." They are like diaper wipes but you use them on your earpieces -- they come in a round container and pop up individually for use, pre-moistened. They work exceptionally well and they are relatively inexpensive.

As for cord color, I have the clear ones and they look silvery in real life. Very very nice, tech-looking. I would not get any other color -- they are quite attractive. I find the 46 inch length plenty long enough. You can keep your player on your belt and still have slack in the cord. I ordered mine with the 46 inch length instead of the 64 and can't imagine ever needing the 64 inch length. While you can get both cords and swap them, it is not all that easy to pull out the cords to change them around -- the "plug and play" feature works, but it is a tight fit. I don't think you'd need more than the 46 inches anyway.

Now as far as audiologists are concerned, I picked one at random in the Boston area and my molds came out great! My fit was perfect -- no adjustments necessary. The key thing is to print out the "Making a good impression" instruction sheet that's on the Ultimate Ears home page and hand the sheet over to the audiologist , telling them to follow the instructions exactly. Oh, and make sure your audiologist has experience making "full shell impressions" -- like for hearing aids. Whoever you pick, if they read the instruction sheet and use proper materials it should be fine.

You will LOVE your UE5cs! Enjoy!

Nov 28, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 33
Just to quickly add in on what has been explained very well above, I think you should keep color coordination into account when making these sort of decisions. You are obviously at least slightly concerned about appearances (otherwise you would be not be asking about color options) and should thus realize that outrageous swirls or even certain solid shades, while fun, will present themselves as an absolute pain to match with clothes. As bland as it may sound, traditional colors might be your best bet here -- all IMHO of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck!

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 33
Thanks for all the useful comments. I think I'm leaning towards the black with the black cord, and 46" will probably do just fine for my purposes. I think I'll call some of the audiologists Mindy recommended next week to see what they charge. I'll definitely have to get some of the UE wipes too. That sounds like a great idea.

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 33
You certainly can't go wrong with basic black! Very cool looking. Will match your Rio Karma as well as your shoes (at least occasionally!) -- and possibly your hair as well.

My blue ones don't really match anything at all, but I love them just the same!

Also as I should have already posted, custom colors (including swirls and such) could prove problematic later, in the unlikely event you need to replace one earpiece and not the other and they have trouble matching the color.
This is of course no problem at all with black!

Nov 28, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 33
I remember those photos -- the black is very very cool-looking.

Phil -- Don't panic about his review though. Check out the December issue of Stereophile instead -- John Atkinson loves the UE5c! (Plus they have been changed since UT Deep's review.)

Nov 28, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
random person: Are you referring to the removal of the notch filter?

Yes I am -- that's how they are now sold. Which makes my UE5cs collector's items, as they have the notch filter in place! Still, I think they're wonderful just the way they are -- but my mids and mid-bass are probably not as forward as the ones being sold today (or, for that matter, as the ones John Atkinson reviewed in Steriophile Magazine.)

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:31 AM Post #14 of 33
If you decide to afford an Ultimate Ears product, then please consider the following:

1. Print out the instructions for obtaining the perfect ear impressions from the UE website. Contact UE directly to find the best possible audiologist in your area. If this data is not available given your location, then open up a phone book and start making calls. ASK each audiologist if s/he has had any experience making custom IEM ear impressions especially with UE. INSIST your audiologist make available a bite block!

2. Upon arrival of the audiologist, make sure s/he inspects both of your ears for abnormalities and ASK them if it is necessary to remove excess cerumen (ear wax) before proceeding with the ear impressions. INSIST upon the usage of a bit block during the procedure! STAY CALM and STILL!

3. Ensure that two such impressions are made of each ear. EXPRESS SHIP both impressions to UE ASAP because ear impressions do "warp" after they are initially cast. It is worth the extra charge for the Ultimate in comfort and fit.

4. Pick a neutral color like clear or your own skin tone. Purchase both a 64" and a 43" detachable cord. Ask if you would like a custom length cord such as 10' long if you need such a length for home usage only.

5. When you get them, ensure that you repeat the insertion and removal procedure several times until it is second nature. It will take time especially if you have no experience with earphones. Be patient. THE MOST CRITICAL thing to keep in mind is whether you have AN ABSOLUTELY PERFECT SEAL under most normal conditions: shaking your head, opening your mouth, eating or drinking or speaking, etc. IF NOT, THEN SEND THEM BACK TO UE IMMEDIATELY with DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS about what does not feel right.

6. Burn in will take approximately two days for both you and the drivers to be on the same page. In the meantime, post your impressions with a variety of different music and settings. We want to know!

Stick with the hard acrylic version.

Nov 28, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
One of these days, I will just have to take the plunge and see for myself
wink.gif

Absolutely! And you'll be SOOO happy when you do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back