College Laptop
Jun 13, 2004 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

pnrgi

100+ Head-Fier
Im going to college in the fall, but the problem is that i use my computer as source for almost 90% of my music. So im not bring my desktop to college, so i need like a USB sound card (which i think they have). Anyone know of a good one, basicly im looking for best bang for the buck. i would like it to be under 100$ if thats possible. Thanks for the help.

Jun 14, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 22
Jun 20, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 22
Does it necesseraly have to be an USB-soundcard?

If not, the PCMCIA-Type-II-card Echo Indigo might be a good solution for your purposes.
It offers a sound quality far beyond that of the integrated soundcard of my Toshiba laptop. Another advantage is that it is more portable than any USB-card. I can leave mine in the laptop when I put in in the case.

further information:
http://www.echoindigo.com/

BTW: I paid 139€ for mine here in Germany, but I think it´s even cheaper in the US.

Jun 20, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 22
I don't mean to stray too much off topic, but which University or College will you be attending this fall?
cool.gif

Jun 22, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 22
Thanks for all the help!

I'm Attending a very small school in West Virginia, its about 30 miles south of morgantown (which is where West Virgina University is located), its in a town called Buckhannon, and the school is West Virginia Wesleyan College. Basicly it's in the poorest town i have ever seen in my life!

Jun 25, 2004 at 10:08 PM Post #9 of 22
I'm in the same position as you are. However, my choices are between the Echo Indigo DJ (because of the extra lineout) or the much cheaper original Sonica used.

Jun 25, 2004 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 22
If you're going to be powering your headphones directly (i.e. no amp), the original Sonica is not an option. The Sonica Transit will work though, as will the Echo Indigo.

Jun 25, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 22
How about the same question but with a higher price? I'm in the same situation but with less money worries. Any 'sensible' price can be considered. Any recommendations?

Jun 26, 2004 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
If you're going to be powering your headphones directly (i.e. no amp), the original Sonica is not an option. The Sonica Transit will work though, as will the Echo Indigo.

I thought the original Sonica and Sonica Transit have the same lineout and optical out. The only difference I thought were the size and the line-in that the Transit had. In any case I personally would probably use some type of portable amp, but I believe the Transit is also a lineout similar to the original Sonica.

Jun 26, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pirate
I thought the original Sonica and Sonica Transit have the same lineout and optical out. The only difference I thought were the size and the line-in that the Transit had. In any case I personally would probably use some type of portable amp, but I believe the Transit is also a lineout similar to the original Sonica.

Nope, the Transit and the Sonica are not the same internally. (I thought they were too until someone posted pictures of the internals of the Transit.) The Sonica's line out is connected directly to the DAC chip -- there's literally nothing in the Sonica that can drive headphones. The Transit has an op-amp in the signal path between the line out and the DAC. This op-amp gives it some ability to drive headphones. It's not a headphone amp by any means (it's still meant just as a line out), but in a pinch you can use it to drive headphones without horrible clipping, unlike the original Sonica. Not that there's anything wrong with the original Sonica; especially modded, it makes a great line out.

Jun 26, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #14 of 22
I have used the Transit to drive my etys directly and withamp, and both work to wonderful effect. Look around at prices, can be had for much less than $100. If mine broke today, I'd get another.

Scott

Jun 26, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
Nope, the Transit and the Sonica are not the same internally. (I thought they were too until someone posted pictures of the internals of the Transit.) The Sonica's line out is connected directly to the DAC chip -- there's literally nothing in the Sonica that can drive headphones. The Transit has an op-amp in the signal path between the line out and the DAC. This op-amp gives it some ability to drive headphones. It's not a headphone amp by any means (it's still meant just as a line out), but in a pinch you can use it to drive headphones without horrible clipping, unlike the original Sonica. Not that there's anything wrong with the original Sonica; especially modded, it makes a great line out.

If there was something in the transit's path that drove headphones, wouldn't the lineout of the original Sonica be cleaner if used with an amp than the Transit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back