college-friendly sleeping IEMs
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

onionblaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone. Freshman in college here, been here 2 weeks, and my PFE's just cut out on me.
frown.gif
I'm getting no sound in the right ear. I was using them to help me get to sleep. NPR doesn't come through in my dorm room so I would listen to podcasts as I drift off to sleep, which worked great until my wonderful perfect PFEs broke. I went and bought whatever they had at the bookstore, which turned out to be this awful skullcandy crap that hurts my ears and ups the bass to a ridiculous level. I've been using them reluctantly, but I really do need something new, and on a budget! I can't really afford another pair of PFEs right now, I need something more in the like $30-$50 range, quite probably some sennheiser CXs, but I thought I'd throw it out there to all of you for any other suggestions. These need to be COMFORTABLE, something I can sleep in -- I usually take them out before I actually fall asleep, but I do need to be able to lie on my side with them in and not have it hurt like hell. They also need to be fairly isolating so that I can use them while I study in the library -- I have my SR-60s for the dorm, but they leak too much to use in the library. So comfort is my #1 priority, with isolation a close 2nd, and actual sound quality is actually not crucial, as long as it's better than these skullcandy pieces of junk I have. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sep 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 10
Soundmagic PL50. $50-$55 and they are absolutely tiny and flat. Most comfortable IEMs I can think of and they can easily be slept in. Isolation is not Etymotic good, but certainly more than passable for your uses. No-brainer IMO.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 10
my problem with the warranty idea is that my mom bought me these phones as a birthday present when I was at home -- so I don't have any of the original purchase information and I don't know if she does either. She might, but it would be about 1500 miles away.

Sep 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 10
The ne-7ms don't look very low profile to me, but I couldn't really tell the size of them from the pictures. I also don't need the microphone aspect of it. But again, the comfort is the main thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they've been really helpful. Some isolation and quality music time should help with the general overwhelmed-ness that is the first few weeks of college.

EDIT: and also, where did you guys see the soundmagic PL50 for $50? I only see it available for $80.

Sep 7, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by onionblaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ne-7ms don't look very low profile to me, but I couldn't really tell the size of them from the pictures. I also don't need the microphone aspect of it. But again, the comfort is the main thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they've been really helpful. Some isolation and quality music time should help with the general overwhelmed-ness that is the first few weeks of college.

EDIT: and also, where did you guys see the soundmagic PL50 for $50? I only see it available for $80.

The NE-7M are not very low profile. The coupon here still works last I checked and yields the PL50s for $50 flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back