coffee-fi
Jun 28, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #391 of 425
further reading on the topic suggests that using a ‘hemp’ material to couple the equipment, whilst aligning the output lines towards Sirius, will restore sufficient high level energy.

JB hifi has the breville Duo boiler going for 1050$(Australia) (this is like half price)- the problem is I know once we go ‘that level of temp/pressure control’ that we need a $700+ grinder. (bugger!)

edit: added the “+”

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #392 of 425
Dual boilers are probably more trouble than they're worth unless you need to make a lot of milk drinks in a row.

And, a good HX machine deserves a great grinder- not just double boilers :wink:

Jun 29, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #393 of 425
Dual boilers are probably more trouble than they're worth unless you need to make a lot of milk drinks in a row.

And, a good HX machine deserves a great grinder- not just double boilers :wink:
actually, missus wants something akin to the crystal featuring device..
we went shopping yesterday for our ‘replacement’ family member, and she decided on some utilitarian tools (that we could even take ‘camping’…)

We gave up milky coffee ‘awhile ago’; before we met I had only ever been a straight black ‘person’ (actually a wee bit scottish, so this statement is purely humorous, and unfouded in truth)

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:07 AM Post #394 of 425

I didn't understand.

We gave up milky coffee ‘awhile ago’; before we met I had only ever been a straight black ‘person’ (actually a wee bit scottish, so this statement is purely humorous, and unfouded in truth)
Oh in that case, double boiler is absolutely a terrible idea. They're only for heavy-duty steaming, are harder to descale, and have other disadvantages.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #395 of 425
If it's a hand grinder you're after, that one's been great for pour overs. Don't do espresso at home so no idea how it would do on that. But 1Zpresso seems to make a nice product. No regrets. Got it when wife was working from home and I had to get coffee going without interrupting her zoom meetings a few meters away from the kitchen.

Jul 2, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #396 of 425
I bougfht one of these for the emergency, No-electricity coffee making solution: Orphan Espresso Apex Manual Grinder. (Not an active link). It is relatively easy to crank, especially when bolted to a cutting board, and you can grind 555-ish gram loads for a pot of drip or chemex, etc. in relatively short amount of time. if you can heat water without electricity- you are golden

Oct 23, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #398 of 425
Supermarket Turkish/Greek. So Al ameed w/ Cardamom, or Oasis.
I've got an electric Briki that I shamefully bash out a morning cuppa with. And a traditional Briki for the stovetop if I want to be more proper.

Oct 23, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #399 of 425
Oh in that case, double boiler is absolutely a terrible idea. They're only for heavy-duty steaming, are harder to descale, and have other disadvantages.
or you just buy one like this, where you can selectively switch on the second boiler if you want to steal milk.

Attachments

• 366EC497-9A98-4349-A8FC-08FFC961696B.jpeg
    366EC497-9A98-4349-A8FC-08FFC961696B.jpeg
    681.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2022 at 2:52 AM Post #400 of 425
^ bad idea

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #402 of 425
Because it has all the disadvantages of a double boiler + added complexity.

Easy guideline- if you make milk drinks for one or two people, get an HX machine. If you make milk drinks all day long for multiple people, or you are a perfectionist who wants the best steaming possible and are willing to do preventive maintenance and deal with water quality, then get a double boiler. And go for name brands, not some cheap piece of junk no matter how fancy it looks.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:41 AM Post #403 of 425
well you might be more experienced than i, but i own an profitec pro 300 at home (and a rocket in my office) and it‘s perfect for what i use it for. i use filtered water only, so i think i‘m fine from a water quality point of view. it‘s ready to go in 5min which is the main reason i bought it for home, the only downside for me so far is, that the steamer is not super strong (ok for a single cappuccino, just takes longer than my rocket). also profitec is a daughter company of ecm, and afaik, they deliver great quality. but again, you might have more insights in that. and finally, 1300 bucks is a great price for it, leaves some more bucks for a really good grinder.

what espressomachine do you own? just out of curiosity… anyway, it‘s time for a nice cappucino, have a great sunday!

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #404 of 425
well you might be more experienced than i, but i own an profitec pro 300 at home (and a rocket in my office) and it‘s perfect for what i use it for. i use filtered water only, so i think i‘m fine from a water quality point of view. it‘s ready to go in 5min which is the main reason i bought it for home, the only downside for me so far is, that the steamer is not super strong (ok for a single cappuccino, just takes longer than my rocket). also profitec is a daughter company of ecm, and afaik, they deliver great quality. but again, you might have more insights in that. and finally, 1300 bucks is a great price for it, leaves some more bucks for a really good grinder.

what espressomachine do you own? just out of curiosity… anyway, it‘s time for a nice cappucino, have a great sunday!
I have an ECM Technika V Profi PID and a Eureka Mignon Specialita grinder which is low/zero retention, I use it for single-dosing. There are some things I like about the ECM machine but for the money I'm a bit disappointed. I'll upgrade in a few years. The grinder is good so far, especially for the price, since I got a large discount for the grinder when I bought the ECM.

The point is more about when you need a double boiler. Just because your HX machine doesn't steam as much as you want is likely because it is not a high-end HX, not because it needs a double boiler. If you go double boiler you have more complex maintenance and if your water has minerals they can be harder to descale.

My ECM steams perfectly fine while I'm pulling shots. But I don't pull shots all day long.

It has a very fast warm-up, 5 minutes, and I leave it on all day.

Oct 23, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #405 of 425
I have an ECM Technika V Profi PID and a Eureka Mignon Specialita grinder which is low/zero retention, I use it for single-dosing. There are some things I like about the ECM machine but for the money I'm a bit disappointed. I'll upgrade in a few years. The grinder is good so far, especially for the price, since I got a large discount for the grinder when I bought the ECM.

The point is more about when you need a double boiler. Just because your HX machine doesn't steam as much as you want is likely because it is not a high-end HX, not because it needs a double boiler. If you go double boiler you have more complex maintenance and if your water has minerals they can be harder to descale.

My ECM steams perfectly fine while I'm pulling shots. But I don't pull shots all day long.

It has a very fast warm-up, 5 minutes, and I leave it on all day.
I think profitec has a great bang for the buck. But to be honest, the rocket appartamento is amazing for it‘s pricepoint (if you can live without pid and a very small drip tray, you can change the plastic cup frame): it costs 1000 bucks in switzerland, don‘t know if you can get a better machine for that pricepoint…

but to your point, you‘re right, it‘s not like everybody needs a dual boiler system and it may have relevant disadvantages in comparison to a heat exchanger.

what are you thinking to upgrade to? the flagship machines are often to big for me... a friend bought a dalla corte studio, super expensive, but a great machine…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back