Cocteau Twins remasters any good?
May 24, 2004 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Schrieks

Head-Fier
I was listening to Treasure by Cocteau Twins (still am, as I write) and noticing how it sounds like the CD was mastered by someone holding a mic to some speakers playing a good tape of the album... and I wondered, "When will someone remaster this?" ..Well, I looked online and found it was remastered in 2003. Great. But the 2 reviews of it I read (that addressed the remastering at all) seemed to say the remastering was unnecessary and it was just a ploy to get some press for the label.

So I ask you fine folks, is this remaster worth it? Could it be that the reviewers listened only through their cars' stock speakers, or is it really just fluff? I'd love a good remaster. (I ask specifically about this CD because it's the only one I own by them)

Thanks

May 24, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 3
Unfortunately remasters were done by band member with little improvement over weak sound of original CD release detectable by me......too bad because they could sound much much better. I used to own vinyl copies in the 1980's so I know what they "can" sound like. (same comment for 4AD group THIS MORTAL COIL, poor CD great vinyl)

If they would let someone like Bob Ludwig do the remasters it would be night and day improvement! Also very bad decision not to include bonus tracks on remasters, they have a ton of EPs and non album tracks in the vaults. The artwork has been very slightly tweaked for each CD but no major improvement.

The only real positive is that remasters are sold at reduced price........but they could have been much more.
frown.gif

May 25, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 3
Similarly, I have noticed that The Nephilim and Elizium, both from Fields of the Nephilim, fare badly on CD compared to vinyl. I wonder if there was a global problem with CD mastering from this period of music on the Beggars Banquet and subsidiary labels (4AD, Situation Two etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back