Cocktail-Fi!
Aug 23, 2019 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

megabigeye

Headphoneus Supremus
Scientifically proven and guaranteed to make all music on any system sound at least 100% better! Higher highs! More impassioned vocals! Bassier bass! All for the low, low cost of your sobriety!
COCKTAILS!

If you've moved beyond simply pouring finger or pounding beers and if audiophilia is enough frou-frou language for one night, it's cocktail time!

Your favorite cocktails, your least favorite cocktails, whatever you're drinking now, your own special recipes, your preferred recipe book: share it all here!

Tonight I'm having the Hanky Panky a la Robert Simonson's 3-Ingredient Cocktails:
1.5oz gin
1.5oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes Fernet Branca
Orange twist for garnish

Add liquid ingredients to mixing glass with ice and stir for 30 seconds. Strain into chilled coupe/cocktail glass. Twist orange peel to express oils and drop into drink.

There's another version of this drink with different ratios, but it tastes like drinking toothpaste. Fernet Branca is not messing around. I use Bombay London Dry, but Beefeater is a little too, uh, bracing. Something smoother can also be used, but nothing too aromatic. For vermouth, I like Cocchi Rosso or Carpano Formula Antica. Cinzano is probably also fine, just don't use Martini & Rossi.

Now let's see if I remember tomorrow that I made this post...

Nov 14, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 7
What nobody else enjoys a nice evening cocktail? Well! That's not going to stop me!

Tonight's feature is the Vesper, invented by Sir Ian Fleming, ruined by James Bond.

3oz. Gin
1oz. Vodka
1/2oz. Lillet Blanc
Lemon twist for garnish

Always stirred, never shaken.
20191114_211129.jpg

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Yesterday was cocktail day here.
I love a daiquiri
IMG_20191221_173822.jpg

My way:
2 shots of white rum
1 shot lime juice
1/2 shot of home made suger syrop
Lots of crushed ice and some lime parts and a slice.

Suger syrop:
1/4 white suger
1/4 brown suger
1/2 water (warm water to desolve the sugar and let it cool before making the drink)

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 7
This thread deserves to be resurrected. I agree with the OP's original sentiment: the most sure fire way to make your setup sound better. Plus, I bet there is a wealth of amazing recipes being enjoyed by members here. I'll start with something we make at home. My wife calls it Alpine Sunshine, giving homage to the Carthusian and Barbados influences.

Alpine Sunshine
2 oz Barbados Rum
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/8 tsp Vanilla Extract
1.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
2 tsp Honey, melted and shaken with liquor before adding ice
1 Mint Leaf, clap and add to shaker with ice
Garnish with mint or lemon if you'd like

Alpine Sunshine.JPG

What we use:

Ingredients.JPG

Sep 1, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #6 of 7
This thread deserves to be resurrected. I agree with the OP's original sentiment: the most sure fire way to make your setup sound better. Plus, I bet there is a wealth of amazing recipes being enjoyed by members here. I'll start with something we make at home. My wife calls it Alpine Sunshine, giving homage to the Carthusian and Barbados influences.

Alpine Sunshine
2 oz Barbados Rum
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/8 tsp Vanilla Extract
1.5 oz Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
2 tsp Honey, melted and shaken with liquor before adding ice
1 Mint Leaf, clap and add to shaker with ice
Garnish with mint or lemon if you'd like

What we use:

Yay! I’m glad somebody else likes cocktails and is giving this thread some love! I’ve actually been drinking more cocktails than I have been listening to headphones lately.

I’m not much of a fan of yellow chartreuse, but your recipe sounds yummy. I don’t the think it’d quite work with green chartreuse. Maybe?
My baby’s bedroom is right off of our kitchen so I’ve mostly been having stirred drinks lately. Oh, the sacrifices I’ve made for this child!

Last night’s drink was the Bensonhurst:
2oz. rye
1oz. dry vermouth
2 teaspoons Luxardo maraschino liqueur
1 teaspoon Cynar

Stir, serve in a frozen coupe.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 7
@megabigeye I was about to write a similar post with a similar intro before finding yours! So you get the credit. There is something really wonderful about having a good drink, sitting down, and listening to great music. You get lost in it.

I have not tried the original Chartreuse in this drink, but if it tastes good it will save you some money! Thanks for sharing your recipes, they sound delicious and I'll let you know if I get around to making any of them.

Congratulations and good luck with the little one! It's a ton of work, but being a father has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back