coaxial docking station
Mar 23, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Yer gonna have to dig into the details somewhere about the audio chipset for this device. I don't know a way to actually test either. I do know that most the onboard audio chipsets on the mainstream motherboards out today can only put SPDIF out at 48 mhz, not the 44.1 for bit perfect.

If I had to guess, there would be resampling at least once on that device, but only the manufacturer documentation will say for sure.

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 8
thanks; i'll see if i can find the docs; it's not on dell's website anymore so might be tricky; another headfi'er has the same, so hopefully we can figure it out. if it does bit perfect it would be a pretty perfect, budget solution. i only payed $50 for the dock, and you can get them for $40 or less

it's a shame docking stations are out of style. i think i'll have at least 10 cables connected at all times; nice

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 8
i downloaded a dts file, and also a ks for foobar: sigmatel audio (ks) selection. hooking up to the dock, and coax to my dts capable onkyo reciever, all i get is hissing out of my laptop speakers as well as the speakers from my reciever.

anything i'm doing wrong? or should i just conclud my output is not bit perfect?

edit: my mistake, when i use KS i get this error message: Unrecoverable playback error: KS output error: error opening device

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #6 of 8
I am using a dell 8200 with the S/PDIF-video TV adapter that comes with my laptop(tons of them are available on ebay for $5). My 8200 has the Crystal WDM soundcard. I connect the adapter to the TV-out of my laptop and use a coax cable to my DAC. It sounds mighty awesome on both iTune and Foobar. I ripped a few CDs with both Foobar into FLAC and Media Player lossless WMA. Foobar plays them all. Bit-perfect or not, honestly I can't hear the difference. But definitely much better playing through the headphone out. (Well... still can't beat my Audio Aero!
k1000smile.gif
)

Did you check the S/PDIF checkbox in your volume control advanced property setup?

Also, Foobar stated that KS is experimental, try not to use KS and see if you still hear the hiss. If it still persists, you might want to spend 5 bucks to try out the adapter.

Also, I have the same problem with my cable TV. When I plug my cable into my HT setup, I hear a hum. I bought a gound noise filter and the hum is gone. Not sure if laptop coax can have similar effects.

Here is a sample item in eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-DELL-TV-Audi...QQcmdZViewItem

Mar 25, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #7 of 8
thanks, but again those are not really the issues. i can get audio out, just not bit perfect. i don't think any adapter (short of usb) can help that; i don't think my laptop's internal audio chip can do bit perfect; no big surprise

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #8 of 8
when i get a zhaolu, i might just have to try for myself my desktop with emu0404 VS. audiotrak optoplay to see if i can tell any difference as far as jitter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back