Coaxal/optical adaptor...does it exist?
May 8, 2002 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
My ROTEL CD player has a coaxal digital out, my MD recorder is optical line in. Is there some kind of adaptor available that has a coax in and optical out so I can record direct to MD recorder instead of using analog IC? Does Radio Shack have one? If so, anyone have a cat. #?

Thanks!

May 9, 2002 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 10
Actually, technically, that's a convertor. I know M-Audio make one. Not sure about Radio Shackle. You can also use something like a de-jitter device, they usually have some combination of both at one end or the other.

May 9, 2002 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 10
i don't know about commercial products, but it's pretty easy to make one. i took an rca cable, and attached a high intensity red LED from ratshack and a resistor in series. then i took the optical cable, and placed the plug next to the led and used a few layers of heat shrink tubing around both the led and the plug. this made a nice jack for the optical cable.

it should work, unless your cd player can not output enough current to the LED.

May 9, 2002 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 10
Ratshack #4208560 $49.95 (canadian)

I would try the LED skippy suggested first, there are plans on minidisc.org... Much cheaper, and should work just as well...

May 9, 2002 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks guys!!

May 11, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 10
Thanks clubkill, that looks like what I need. Coax into the CO2 and optical out to the MD deck.

May 12, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 10
I am thinking of getting one for the same reason. I am going to use the one at my school a bit more next week if you want to hold off for mini-review. If you don't, my preliminary work with it has been free of trouble.

May 13, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Sure, I'll wait. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back