cnet is dumb
Oct 31, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #4 of 24
I know I am going to sound really PC on this one but I really do not care: Can we please stop using the word "dumb" to describe what we consider stupid? I happen to teach a handful of people that are not what one would consider "mainstream", and using that word really annoys me. Is our vocabulary really that primitive that we cannot find another word that is more accurate?

Oct 31, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why are these people talking and writing about electronics?

I think they're getting paid to do just that.

But I think I understand your real point, and really some of those people don't have much idea what they're doing.

Oct 31, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenjchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously, the people featured on cnet videos playing with the newest toys...

SOOO DUMB

why are these people talking and writing about electronics?

You are not their audience. Realize that and all those mainstream technology review sites/articles/etc start to make sense.

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anvil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool story, bro.

Uh-oh.
20090310-fue4arsbcqnqj5q9327sc2gd46.jpg

Oct 31, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I am going to sound really PC on this one but I really do not care: Can we please stop using the word "dumb" to describe what we consider stupid? I happen to teach a handful of people that are not what one would consider "mainstream", and using that word really annoys me. Is our vocabulary really that primitive that we cannot find another word that is more accurate?

no

dumb Definition | Definition of dumb at Dictionary.com

seems a perfectly valid use of the word to me

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

x2 As the parent of mentally disabled children I find the random use of the term less than savory. I try not to be touchy and I never call any of my friends/associates on it when they are clearly not trying to be hateful. That being said there are many more appropriate and in fact more colorful terms that could be used.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no

dumb Definition | Definition of dumb at Dictionary.com

seems a perfectly valid use of the word to me

In your own link it refers several times to the "Derogatory and unkind" usage of the term.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 24
it should be how the term is used that cause offence not the use of the word period.

as someone with an ASD and have many friends with a wide variety of issues the most offensive term was generally thought to be "special" so should we ban that?

oh and the link says it can be used as an offensive term not that it inherently is one.

Oct 31, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are not their audience. Realize that and all those mainstream technology review sites/articles/etc start to make sense.

of course once one realizes that, these sort of complaints/threads begin to look er, dumb.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

x3. I have a challenged nephew and have lived with and taught a few "dumb" people in my life. Even though the term was acceptable when I was younger, I still felt it distasteful as a human descriptor.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

X4 - I teach several students with learning problems and my father was a Psychiatrist specializing in "mentally handicapped" (or ESN) as it was then called, the word "dumb" is offensive in casual use.

I have always preferred the word "arseholes" to indicate extreme contempt, I have no specific opinion on CNet however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back