CMoys and Airport Security
Nov 21, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 22
I don't see why not.
As long as you can convince the airport security that its an audio amplifier, if they ask what it is that is.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 22
I am afraid that that once they see, the battery, chip, wire, circuit board, and them switches...they automatically gonna think it's a dangerous device....

And if they say NO...then youre stuck.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 22
Anything that even remotely looks DIY will freak them out. More specifically, anything with wires without a household, advertised brand name is suspicious. Remember that the guards barely have a high school education and don't know the difference between a capacitor and an explosive, let alone be able to name their Senators or where to find Europe on a map. If you can cheerfully explain the amp to a six year old, you might be able to sweet talk it through security.

But this is another reason I only travel with an iPod, Grados and IEMs. Maybe it's unfair, but I keep my assumptions about security very, very low. Nothing unfamiliar or out of the normal in the bag, period.

Nov 21, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #5 of 22
I'll confirm what Unkle Eric said. I have heard of cmoys being confiscated, so I checked mine in with my toolkit and a bunch of other work-related electronic devices, meters, etc.

On my way to the gate I got a call from the TSA supervisor, wanting to know 'what the device in the Altoids can was' I explained and it didn't seem to be a problem, but it could've been.

No comment on the alien dac in the hammond case right beside it. In short: Home Made Looking + Electronic = Alarm

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SundayDuffer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,

TSA is very tough when it comes to airport security.
CMoys or portable amps allowed to carry-on within the plane?

I left NYC JFK last Wednesday & returned from Oakland on Friday of last week. In my laptop backpack and carry on were the following equipment:

laptop, extra laptop battery, laptop charger in separate bag, wired mouse, (3) USB cables, Ipod charging cable, portable HD with cable, (2) headphones with cables, (2) portable amps, (2) extra 9V batteries, (5) extra AAA batteries, inhaler, and SE530 in it's case.

Sent everything right through the X-ray machine....they didn't even ask to take anything out of the bags other than the laptop. Don't know if I should be happy about that or not though.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by glc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I left NYC JFK last Wednesday & returned from Oakland on Friday of last week. In my laptop backpack and carry on were the following equipment:

laptop, extra laptop battery, laptop charger in separate bag, wired mouse, (3) USB cables, Ipod charging cable, portable HD with cable, (2) headphones with cables, (2) portable amps, (2) extra 9V batteries, (5) extra AAA batteries, inhaler, and SE530 in it's case.

Sent everything right through the X-ray machine....they didn't even ask to take anything out of the bags other than the laptop. Don't know if I should be happy about that or not though.

That is really really badddddddddddd.......
I'd rather have them stop me, and check....and then let me thru.
We are in trouble once again.....

You should write this to someone, your governor maybe.

Nov 21, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 22
I have flown with a lot of gear in my hand luggage as well, and never been asked any questions.
Four time the last two months to be exact.

Backpack with laptop and charger, wired mouse, camera and charger, two cellular phones, two iPod's, earphones, vintage DE razor, a 5 pack of DE razor blades (
popcorn.gif
), shaving brush, clothes, and more.
Only been asked if a have a laptop in my bag and then to take it out. No questions about the rest. Great for me, but make me question the airport security. Especially regarding the DE razor blades.

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 22
Well I'm usually bad when it comes to air travel and generally have a bag full of a mess of wires but there was one incident which was particularly bad.

I was flying from Amsterdam to JFK and had a bag with Laptop, D70 (big camera), Zune, and all the possible wires you could bring for those devices and also adapters since I was in Europe. Now I got through security just fine with all of that, as I should, but the shocker came when I got home.
So I am emptying out my bag and out falls my Swiss Army knife. Mind you it is a large one and has a 3" knife, and also a 1" knife. I was very appalled, and wrote a letter to the TSA, but I never heard back. It is incidents like these that worry me if airport security is actually improved.

But now I bet if I tried to bring a pair of tweezers through, or maybe a portable amp, I would have been stopped. I think they are looking for the wrong things.

-West

Nov 22, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 22
I've given up on taking the DE razor along, too. I've been made to unpack and open it up every time.

Part of the reason I took the car for a vacation last week. No one hassled me about taking a pocket knife into the car and the seat was a lot more comfortable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back