CMOY Stereo mini jack INPUT/OUTPUT
Apr 2, 2006 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

grocerylist

New Head-Fier
I have a question about the stereo mini jack. I have my complete CMOY circuit built, now all I have left is to install the mini jack in/out, volume control and power switch. I'm kind of stumped, how do you secure the mini jacks to the tin? Do you solder them to the tin itself?

This would seem like an obvious answer to me. Maybe I'm just trying to make this too difficult for myself. I appreciate any help, thanks. I'm looking forward to giving my Sennheiser 555's some more oomph!

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vixr
If you used Tangents tutorial, you ordered the jacks from his list? Drill holes in the tin and use the nuts on the jacks to secure them to the tin.

Hmm, I used his tutorial but I must have ordered the wrong jacks from digikey. When I put part #CP-3535 on digikey's site I came up with 5 different options (CP-3535-ND, CP-3535N-ND, CP-3535NG-ND, CP-3535NGS-ND, CP-3535NS-ND). I ordered CP-3535NS-ND, its a metal casing jack with no screw nuts
confused.gif
I suppose I will run to the Radio Shack tomorrow. I knew something was off but couldn't figure it out. Everything was smooth sailing until I got to that point, I started this about a month ago and put it in a box and forgot about it, thinking failure
frown.gif
I still feel like a dumbass but I feel some of my pride was salvaged. Thanks for the help.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 10
I just got finished getting a credit from DigiKey for returning a half-dozen of the same item you mention. By the time I paid the return postage, the credit was less than $1. I wouldn't have troubled with it, except that a threadless 3.5mm jack is about as useful to me as a square tire.

Nowhere in their listing does it indicate threaded or non-threaded. You have to access the individual drawings to find out. The one we want is out of stock, anyway.
mad.gif
Like you, I was not that informed. DigiKey does list female vs. male, but how can you have a male jack? What's up with that?
confused.gif

A quick check of the DigiKey, Mouser, and Allied catalogs are not much better. (I went on a catalog rampage after this.) The Mouser site is absolutely horrible if you're trying to generally search for a part. Newark has great pictures, but their navigation is worse.

It seems a closed, 3.5mm threaded jack is a special item. Like you, I went to Radio Shack.

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 10
I seem to recall that digikey had several items that had multiple listings after searching for the particular part number listed on Tangent's tutorial. I guess I'm lucky that the mini jacks were the only thing I ordered incorrectly.

Again thanks for the comments, I should be able to wrap this up tomorrow with no problems!

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Radioshack normallly carries a copy of the Switchcraft mini-jack (clear top, 5 terminals). These are sold individually (as opposed to a 2-pack) and are a rip-off ($2.99 each vs. $1.15 or so at Mouser for the real Switchcraft's), but with shipping, etc. are probably the best way to go at this point. These are the only ones from Radioshack that I would use (unless they don't have that particular one). If you use the ones in the two-pack, I would plan on replacing them at some point.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 10
Dude! Don't waste money on more jacks!! Use the ones you bought (CP-3535) and glue them to the actual case. I recommend super glue with accelerator fluid. I did the same exact thing on my first CMoy. To connect the lugs of the jack to the board, loop the wire around the lug, solder that on, and then solder the wire to your board.

May 11, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 10
i have the 1/8" ones from radioshack, and before my cmoy died, i had them nutted to the tin of a bandaid case and i would get interference in my sound, and no prongs or solder was touching metal that it shouldnt have been. and when i removed the jacks from the case and let them hang while it played it sounded great
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back