CMOY, or PA2V2 as first (portable) Amp for Koss Pro DJ100
Aug 25, 2012 at 11:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Mr B

Head-Fier
I'm finding the sound a bit flat when i use the microphone thingy the Nokia comes with, but the sound is surprisingly good without it, even from a old cheap phone as the Nokia 5800 Music express. So if i'm going to enjoy the headphones with more then my laptop i might need a amp, but i'm sort of cheap, and the budget IS limited. Not quite sure where the limit is, but from the looks of things i should be able to snag a PA2V2 for less then 75 bucks. A CMOY is anywhere from a lot cheaper then that, to slightly more expensive, depending on what bells and whistles are included (and possibly, how much the seller fools you.)
Whats "the better deal" for my DJ100? Any particular sellers that are known good sources? PA2V2 is Ebay & grans-ar only, i think?
B!

Edit
Anyone things i'll get more responses if i spell the darn device's name right? I'll see if i can get a mod to fix the topic.
/Edit

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 27
Wow I'm looking at the exact same amps as you for my DJ100s.  The reason the PA2V2 is ebay only from grans-ar is because that is the guy that apparently makes these by hand and sells them directly himself.  Actually, it isn't ebay only, you can email him and he will sell you one for about $70 without the eBay hassle.  I've also looked at the CMOY but I like what people say about the PA2V2 and I like Gary and his personal way of doing business, so I am leaning in that direction once I have the cash.

EDIT:  here is the link to his site http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:
I'm finding the sound a bit flat when i use the microphone thingy the Nokia comes with, but the sound is surprisingly good without it, even from a old cheap phone as the Nokia 5800 Music express. So if i'm going to enjoy the headphones with more then my laptop i might need a amp, but i'm sort of cheap, and the budget IS limited. Not quite sure where the limit is, but from the looks of things i should be able to snag a PA2V2 for less then 75 bucks. A CMOY is anywhere from a lot cheaper then that, to slightly more expensive, depending on what bells and whistles are included (and possibly, how much the seller fools you.)
Whats "the better deal" for my DJ100? Any particular sellers that are known good sources? PA2V2 is Ebay & grans-ar only, i think?
B!

Edit
Anyone things i'll get more responses if i spell the darn device's name right? I'll see if i can get a mod to fix the topic.
/Edit

Have not tried the CMoy but have heard only good things about it for its price point. I am not qualified to give an opinion on it, but can highly recommend the other choice you're looking at.

PA2V2 was my first experience with headphone amps and it still has a special place in my heart. Highly portable, battery life is incredible and the service and responsiveness of Gary is nothing but commendable. You can email him at his website Electric Avenues and ask for a paypal price directly as opposed to buying on ebay.   

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 27
Sorry for not responding. If nothing else, i should say thank you, for your input, to the both of ya.

I've been traveling for a bit, so things like this have been put on the back burner. Now that i'm back home i guess it's time to figure out what to get, and go for it. I was in contact with Gary, who was very helpful and answered a few questions. By now it pretty much is clear that i want to either order from his webpage, with the benefit of a USB charge wire rather then the wallwart that comes with the eBay option, for a PA2V2, or go see JDS Labs about a cMoyBB. Nobody has experience with both? Also, is there any drawback to the rechargeable cMoyBB, except the shorter batterytime`due to lower capacity then regular batteries?

Is the cMoyBB LOUDER, seeing as it burns through power so much faster then the PA2V2, or is it something else? Is it perhaps a matter of sound-quality vs power effective designs? Both end up running in to the $70 area, and if it's a sound quality vs use between charges issue, I'll probably go with the one with better sound with a pair of Koss DJ100. Perhaps one could mod a rechargeable cMoyBB to use LiPo's and get better battery times...

I guess the only real way to figure out which is best for "me" is always to buy both, and try them out. But that just isn't a realistic option i'm afraid. So, is there anyone who can tell me, "which is better" ?
B!

Sep 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 27
I have a version of the CMoyBB made in Australia that I believe is audio nirvana...

It is very powerful and is switchable for bass boost...

I have 120ohm Sennheisers and the volume knob is never around more than 20-25%...

Battery lasts ages and I have rechargeable 9v batteries...

Ebay Seller

Sep 21, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 27
2 for one, 1 for the other, and nobody who has tested both has anything to say.Guess i'm going to have a unit shipped in from Canada, and get this all over with.
Thank you guys n' girls for taking the time to read my thoughts, and questions.
B!

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 27
PA2V2 any day of the week. Like many here it was my start in headphone amps and in my opinion is only bettered by amps far higher in price. Gary is the best to deal with as well.

Sep 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #12 of 27
I did read that review / test. I also checked the "HeadGear" ratings. And read threads on the forum about both, and tweeking the cMoyBB if it doesn't please ya.
I'm just one of those buyers with a habit of spending money like they werent replenishable, and every coin was the last one. And since i couldn't get a definite answer made up by reading i decided to ask. And you guys really arent helping a lot. No offence. I'll explain, as if that was needed.
Simply put, your all agreeing they are both great units, and pretty much equivalent. They do have slight areas of expertize, and performe at their best with different types of music. But you cant agree on which is, if ever so slightly, better. For clarification, it's my understanding that the soundstage is wider with the PA2V2, and that the sound is slightly more alive, "warmer" with the cMoyBB. And the later has a bit more bass, if wanted. Other then that, the PA2V2 is built solid enough to stand on, but is a ugly little thing, where as the cMoyBB in it's mint candy box is a more "exiting" package, but perhaps not suited for the accident prone.

At this point it's sort of down to the durability of the PA2V2, vs the extra bass from the cMoy, seeing as the nokia phone lacks a bit in that department.
Pretty much made up my mind, and think i'll go with the PA2V2. If it turns out i'm not happy, i'll blame you all, and get the cMoyBB as well. When i'm still not happy, i'm selling the headphones, and go back to a life in silence, and one where the girl who gave me the headphones nolonger speaks with me. This to, i'll blame on you all, of course.

Thank you everyone who participated, sound is a fairly involved matter, where personal opinion is a huge factor, so there is no "right" answer to my questions, i understand this. So, for what it's worth, you all have my gratitude.
B!

Sep 22, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 27
This is because sonically they are pretty much equal. The differences come in your preferences for how it handles different kinds of music.

Quote:
I did read that review / test. I also checked the "HeadGear" ratings. And read threads on the forum about both, and tweeking the cMoyBB if it doesn't please ya.
I'm just one of those buyers with a habit of spending money like they werent replenishable, and every coin was the last one. And since i couldn't get a definite answer made up by reading i decided to ask. And you guys really arent helping a lot. No offence. I'll explain, as if that was needed.
Simply put, your all agreeing they are both great units, and pretty much equivalent. They do have slight areas of expertize, and performe at their best with different types of music. But you cant agree on which is, if ever so slightly, better. For clarification, it's my understanding that the soundstage is wider with the PA2V2, and that the sound is slightly more alive, "warmer" with the cMoyBB. And the later has a bit more bass, if wanted. Other then that, the PA2V2 is built solid enough to stand on, but is a ugly little thing, where as the cMoyBB in it's mint candy box is a more "exiting" package, but perhaps not suited for the accident prone.

At this point it's sort of down to the durability of the PA2V2, vs the extra bass from the cMoy, seeing as the nokia phone lacks a bit in that department.
Pretty much made up my mind, and think i'll go with the PA2V2. If it turns out i'm not happy, i'll blame you all, and get the cMoyBB as well. When i'm still not happy, i'm selling the headphones, and go back to a life in silence, and one where the girl who gave me the headphones nolonger speaks with me. This to, i'll blame on you all, of course.

Thank you everyone who participated, sound is a fairly involved matter, where personal opinion is a huge factor, so there is no "right" answer to my questions, i understand this. So, for what it's worth, you all have my gratitude.
B!

Sep 22, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #14 of 27
Not another one..
*runs of screaming in to the horizon*
Whats with you guys, really. Cant you see i'm desperate for some easy to handle shopping instructions. Get A for reasons 1,2 & 3.
Get B for reasons 3,4 & 5.

Nah, just kidding. But if i more or less figured it right as i outlined above, then i probably should get the cMoyBB, but the less then bulletproof case sort of scares me. I'll get a PA2V2 as a first amp, and from there we'll see where i go.

A mate of mine has a none portable headphone amp i'll compare it to. It's about 8 times as expensive but isn't anything remarkable, just something of the shelf from the local music / PA reseller in town. Lets see if we cant give it a run for it's money.
;- )

Again, thank you everyone for participating, i know you guys have to be more or less feed up with all the noob threads.
B!

Sep 22, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 27
Do the typical head-fi thing! Buy both and do a comparo...

It's not like they're super expensive...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back