cmoy inquiries
May 3, 2006 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

XFxGeforced

100+ Head-Fier
i have all my jumpers soldered in, now for the power supply.

first ?'s:

-can i use film capacitors for the c1 caps and the c2's? i have these big cylindracal film caps i got and wanted to know which side was - and +, then i looked up and realised they were film caps, but im wondering if i need electrolytic for the c1's

thanks, there will be more questions to come
biggrin.gif

*sorry if any of my questiosn have been previously posted

May 4, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 11
The film caps do not have enough capacitance for the size to use as power rail caps. You should definitely use electrolytics.

May 4, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 11
You can use any caps providing they give sufficient capacitance and have a low enough ESR. This basically leaves electrolytics as the only option since film caps of the same size would probably be more then 1/1000th of the capacitance.

May 4, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 11
thanks evereyone, im going to go see if they have any good caps i need at the shack, should i get the same rated vac as the film caps?

May 4, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced
thanks evereyone, im going to go see if they have any good caps i need at the shack, should i get the same rated vac as the film caps?

They should be above the voltage (DC) that you will be powering the CMoy with. 1x9V battery then 16V caps are sufficient. 2x9V then I would go with 25Vdc. I would advise the 470uf caps as opposed to 220uf as they will give a bit better bottom end.

May 4, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
They should be above the voltage (DC) that you will be powering the CMoy with. 1x9V battery then 16V caps are sufficient. 2x9V then I would go with 25Vdc. I would advise the 470uf caps as opposed to 220uf as they will give a bit better bottom end.

did i go with too high when i just bought these 1000uf 50v caps? i can always return them

*btw this is going to be powered by a wall converter

May 5, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 11
hmm... the leads are comin out the side, itll be fun to fit them. but about my above post, will that be okay? thanks again for the help guys
580smile.gif

May 5, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by XFxGeforced
hmm... the leads are comin out the side, itll be fun to fit them. but about my above post, will that be okay? thanks again for the help guys
580smile.gif

Yeah, they will be OK, provided you can physically fit them in whatever you are planning to use for a case. Lay them down and bend the leads if it is a Mint tin.

May 5, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
Yeah, they will be OK, provided you can physically fit them in whatever you are planning to use for a case. Lay them down and bend the leads if it is a Mint tin.

okay, so the voltages and other specs are okay on them? thanks for the response, its a home amp so ill prob put it in a wooden enclosure i make

Users who are viewing this thread

Back