CMOY case with battery compartment
Mar 10, 2006 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Blooze

100+ Head-Fier
My brother would like me to build him an amp he can use when riding his motorcycle when he's out on the highway (only time he listens-never in town). Says his Harley is just too loud to hear the little radio he has right now. Any suggestions on a sturdy case (so when he drops it
biggrin.gif
)that has easy access to batteries so he can change them without having to have any tools with him? If it's small enough to fit in a cigarette package holder that'd be great too as he could slip it into the one on his bike.

Mar 10, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, the Sepac H-65-9V should fit the bill pretty nicely. However, it is plastic, so I suspect that it could crack when he drops it. But the battery compartment is very easy to use. Bigger than a pack of smokes, though.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #4 of 9
I've used the Hammond 1593PBK and I like it more than the Serpac. It is 3.6x2.6x1.1, so it is a little thicker and about as wide as the Serpac, but much shorter. It has a battery hatch, but there is an open cavity behind the hatch, so it is not quite as fancy as the Serpac in that regard. I found the material to feel more substantial (= more sturdy) and the build quality was much better than the Serpac. Further, it is only ~$3, so it is worth a try. However, as usual, your mileage may vary...buy both and see which he likes more.

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, I had him measure the pocket and it's gonna be too thin at 1/2 deep, but he has a bag on his bars that it can go into and that would be better anyway. I'll look at both of the cases again.

Thanks

Mar 11, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 9
If you go with the Serpac, you may want to get the plain black rather thqan transluscent. I have read a few things here to the affect that the transluscent is more brittle.

The nice thing about the Serpac is that if he does break it, it is simple to drop the front panel and guts into a new case.

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 9
Serpac it is then. Seems like that'd be the way to go since if he did drop it and break the case, he's handy enough to replace the end panels in a new case.

Black would match his bike.
icon10.gif

Thanks everyone!

Mar 11, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #8 of 9
Just a heads-up, I've made several amps with the Serpac, and though I like it, I always find it a battle to cram everything down into it. I wish it had just a smidgen more clearance. However, seeing your casework in the builds thread, Blooze, I don't think you'll have a problem.

Mar 11, 2006 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 9
It was mentioned over at Headwize to not overlook the Lansing cases as they are all aluminum.

This is why I make my own cases for stuff.
evil_smiley.gif
To dang hard to decide on the right prebuilt one without it in your hands to look at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back