Cmoy -- Best way to wire a pot for ground?
May 23, 2005 at 11:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
Hi, I'm buidling my 3rd cmoy, but my first using a pot. I think I understand the pinouts on the pot, but I see that two of the pins go to ground. What is the best way to wire this? Do I attach a small wire between the two ground lugs and a lead wire from one of the lugs? What's a good solution? Thanks!

May 24, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 12
TM,

I usually just bend the two pins together and run a single wire to the "virtual ground loop". You can connect all of the grounds together if you want (input, output, pot) and then run a wire to the board as well. There are lots of options. Just make sure that you connet the right pins to the right places
smily_headphones1.gif

For me it all depends on how I have things set up and what I want the final layout ot look like. I tend to try and run as short a wire as possible, but that's just me.

HTH,

Nate

May 24, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 12
Unfortunately I only have pics of the wired Panasonic, I've haven't found a good project for one of the RK09s yet, which I assume is the one you're talking about. Here's the panny in case it helps. Man, I forget how bad I was at soldering in the beginning
smily_headphones1.gif
. Link to picture.

May 24, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 12
@The Monkey if it's alps pot with the switch. this is the way it beleave its done

with the pot knob facing to you legs up two right side pins are the grounds
two middle pins are the outputs (to the amp) the two left pins are the inputs (to the input jacks)

Hope this helps

May 25, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzy
Once you get it done the first time though it will only take 5 minutes from then on. Its just a bit of a learning curve some times.

Rob.

Thanks, I think you're right. I'm finding the soldering difficult with the tiny pins, but practice is the only way to get better.

May 27, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Thanks for your help, everyone. I fried one pot, but the second one was much easier. Now it works! I see a Mint or Pimeta in my future...

Congrats
smily_headphones1.gif

For a MINT/PIMETA is as simple as pushing the pins of the pot through the holes and soldering them right in, no messing around with which pin is which :p

Rob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back