CMoy / beginner / sockets
Sep 28, 2002 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Mimician

New Head-Fier
this might sound stupid but i just want to make it clear. i was building the cmoy amp and i used the sockets. then i put the op-amp on it, right? how come it doesnt stay there? i mean it falls it whenever i move the thing. shouldnt the socket hold it?

thanks a lot for your help!

Sep 28, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #2 of 17
No offense but are you putting the op amp into the sockets or on the sockets? It needs to be pressed into the sockets. Make sure the legs line up with the socket holes and press it down evenly so the legs slip into the sockets. If the legs are spread out to much lay the opamp on its side on a table or other flat surface and lightly push down to bend the legs in so they line up with the holes.

The only stupid question is the one that's not asked.

Sep 28, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 17
Also make sure the opamp is oriented correctly. If you are using the Hansen board, the silkscreen for the opamps shows a half-moon at one end. Make sure pin 1 of opamp is facing the end with the half-moon.

Sep 28, 2002 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 17
Thank you very much!

the thing i still dun understand is that why do we have to use a socket? if i pushed the op-amp hard into the socket will i be able to get it back out? what's bad about just soldering the op-amp to the board?

Sep 28, 2002 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Mimician

the thing i still dun understand is that why do we have to use a socket? if i pushed the op-amp hard into the socket will i be able to get it back out? what's bad about just soldering the op-amp to the board?

A socket is used so you can swap out the IC more easily, as is in the case of 'rolling' or replacement. If you have no intention of 'rolling' IC's, then you can solder the IC directly to the board. Removing IC's from the board is a bit of pain, though. The bit about orientation still applies.

Sep 28, 2002 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Mimician
i see. so i can actually pull the IC out even when i pushed it into the socket?

Yes, you can remove the IC from the socket

[/i]so u're DIYer too? [/QUOTE]

DIYer made not be the proper term...hacker may be more appropriate.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 17
Occasionally an IC might go bad on you, socketing makes it easy to replace as well. If you have ever had to desolder an op-amp, you will discover the value in socketing.

Aug 20, 2004 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 17
I revived this old thread to make myself feel better, that i'm not asking the following question alone out there - some of us have no idea what we're doing!

I have some op amps here like the OPA2132PA and the OPA2227PA that can be stuffed right into this socketed cmoy no problem. but then i have op amps like the AD8620AR and the OPA2614ID that look way tiny and obviously don't look like they are big enough to plug into this op amp socket - in fact they look more the size to solder onto a browndog or something.

Do they even make the AD8620AR and the OPA2614ID in a size like the 2132PA and the 2227PA? By the way right now I have a OPA2604AP in this Cmoy that is making the new MS-2 sing like a champ.

Aug 20, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #12 of 17
PDIP versus SOIC. I just edumacated meself. rats. i can't solder.

Aug 20, 2004 at 1:29 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
How do you know you can't solder? Have you tried?
tongue.gif

nasty physics extracurricular work in HS. solder burn made my wrist look like robocop. No Mas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back