Clou Blue: First impressions
Oct 17, 2002 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

andrzejpw

May one day invent Bose-cancelling headphones.
Ok, here are my first impressions of the clou blue replacement cables for the Sennheiser HD580/HD600 line. Keep in mind, a larger review will follow in a few weeks, after they have had ample time to burn in.

With great anticipation I opened the box from headroom. But one thought kept on nagging me. "My god. I have $100 cables. Why the heck would I ever do this? Have I lost my mind?" To me, an amp, source, or headphones were much easier to justify spending money on. I kept on worrying: what if I hear no difference? What if they sound the same?

As soon as I opened them, I was shocked: they are blue. VERY blue. Schweet!
biggrin.gif
Subsequently, I quickly violated the earplugs of my HD580s. These have always been sacred, and I have never taken the headphone cord out. I've always been afraid of damaging the connection and getting the dreaded "interminancy" problem(sp?). Secondly, I noticed that they are STIFF. It's not that big of a deal, but I now realize what people mean. No big deal, but keep this in mind.

So, most importantly, how do they sound? In a word, amazing. The moment I turned Dave Brubeck's Time Out on, I was stunned. The cymbals suddenly have so much life! One can hear the air vibrate around the cymbals, and after being struck, the cymbals resonate. Same deal with the piano. Even though I could hear the piano resonate before, this is entirely different. Secondly, the highs have much more authority. I'm not sure what this really means. Basically, the highs are just leaping off, leaving everything back. Many, it seems, get this impression. Nevertheless, I wouldn't want to go back to the stock cables now. For you bass lovers, the clous don't really offer much new in this department. I haven't really examined the midrange much. . .

So, the verdict? First, I'd like to say straight up, the cardas are better cables. They are much more neutral, and offer around the board improvements(keep in mind: this is what I remember from the WOH tour). But considering the price of the Clou Blues($89), they can't be beat.

Oct 17, 2002 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 17
Yes, the Clou cables do make the stock cables sound quit bland, and boring. Hell, I can see why some would even prefer them to the Equinox, or Cardas.
At first, I was simply amazed at the new cable options for the HD-600s, but now after having a lot of time to reflect, I think pretty much any well named manufacturer could of done better than the stock cables; because those things are junk.

Oct 18, 2002 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, the Clous do have more of that up front transient snap, and power in the bass. But, I can see how someone wouldn't jump up, and down and say, "Damn, the Clou blues turned my HD-600s into the Beyer DT-770 pros."
For a cable upgrade I think it is a significant improvement in bass power, and extension, especially for the price.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 17
Welcome to Team Clouheiser. Enjoy, man!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 17
I thought the clous dried up the bass on my sennheisers. For those who don't believe me, listen to organ music and you'll notice lots of missing notes and resonances.

Clous are a good deal used for about $50, but I'd spend the extra cash for Cardas cables if I were buying new.

BTW, intermittent.

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:26 AM Post #8 of 17
Wow, haven't heard anything about the clou cables for ages.
Are replacement cables for HD580s that good?

I'm not going to upgrade the cable.
I'm not going to upgrade the cable.
I'm not going to upgrade the cable...

I'm not going to...

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by PC Corp
Wow, have heard anything about the clou cables for ages.
Are replacement cables for HD580s that good?

Even before the Cardas and Equinox cables came out, some people advocated the Clou as a more important upgrade than the move from HD-580 to HD-600.

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Even before the Cardas and Equinox cables came out, some people advocated the Clou as a more important upgrade than the move from HD-580 to HD-600.

It is.
biggrin.gif
580 + clou blue is deff. > HD600.

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 17
I visited two hi-fi stores today.

The second store has almost the whole line of Sennheiser phones.

I tested the HD580s, 590s and 600s with the Greek OBH 11SE.
To my Ears, the HD600s are noticeably better phones.

andrzejpw you must be a very happy man now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
...580 + clou blue is deff. > HD600.

<Jaw drops>

580 + Cardas = totally amazing compared to the rest of my 'phones
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 17
Hello head-fiers.
I've got the clou red and I don't think there is that much difference between it and the blue. I've had the red for several months with the HD-600 and Little More Power Premium amp.
I recently ordered the Cardas blue and my first impressions are bad. The cloud red (and probably the blue) have much more bass punch. The Cardas plugs also fall out at the slightest touch. The clou plugs stay in like glue.
Of course the Cardas is not broken in but I am really disappointed at this point. Also, I do not care to send my Senns back to the factory to refurb the plugs just so the Cardas will fit snug. Something is wrong here.

Nov 7, 2002 at 8:23 AM Post #14 of 17
hey canned,

i used to have the cardas as well and i had the same problem with the cable plugs. the plastic plugs on the cardas cable that holds the cable to the headphone is much smaller than the socket opening on the hd600s. this is inexcusable for a cable that costs $150. how hard is it for cardas to get the plug size right and fix their design flaw? jeez.

i really liked the sound of the cardas but i had to send them back. i got sick of having the headphones cutting out on me because of the flimsy cable connection.

Nov 7, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 17
I'm confused...

Yes, the connector housing IS a lot smaller than on the standard cables... but the prongs that attach the cable to the drivers have little clips on, which DO fit snugly, into the headphone driver...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back