clou blue cable for senn 580
Dec 1, 2002 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

dougbrad81

100+ Head-Fier
hi,
would the clou blue cable sold at headroom for the senn 600 also work on the 580's? would it improve the sound quality dramatically?

Dec 1, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #2 of 26
Hi,
I have a Clou red and the sound quality is significantly increase. I expect the blue to have less dramatic improvment

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
hi,
would the clou blue cable sold at headroom for the senn 600 also work on the 580's? would it improve the sound quality dramatically?

I have the Clou Blue on my 580s, fits the same as it would on the 600s. I honestly doubted I would notice a difference but I did. Right off the bat, it opened up the highs, took away some of the "veil" so to speak. It was a definite noticeable improvement. But ergonomics-wise it's a pain. It's very inflexible.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 26
Jpelg and I did a comparison of various aftermarket cables and this is what we found:

1. The sound difference between Clou Red and Blue is greater than the difference between Clou Blue and the stock cable

2. Clou Red is too harsh

3. Cardas is better than Clou Red

4. Equinox is the best aftermarket cable.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:20 AM Post #5 of 26
that was some helpful anlysis. i'm now in a dilemma as to whether i should buy a equinox cable for 580 or just upgrade to 600's or maybe even try audio-technica's ATH-W1000.

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:46 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

that was some helpful anlysis. i'm now in a dilemma as to whether i should buy a equinox cable for 580 or just upgrade to 600's or maybe even try audio-technica's ATH-W1000.

See the can of worms you opened
very_evil_smiley.gif

One thing leads to another...

biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Well ~ if you upgrade to the HD600... you'll still need an aftermarket cable
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

(HD580 upgrading to HD600 on the most part is a sideways step)

Dec 1, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with an upgrade to 600. It's the same headphone and the difference in price is best spent on an amplifier or a cable.

Re: Audio Technica, I tried that at the meet as well (I don't remember which model it was) and I didn't particularly care for it. IT was too dry, too bright and lacking in coherence and bass.

Dec 1, 2002 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by bifcake
Re: Audio Technica, I tried that at the meet as well (I don't remember which model it was) and I didn't particularly care for it. IT was too dry, too bright and lacking in coherence and bass.

Bif...

Is there any way you could find out which model it was that sounded ill? I'm slowly warming to the idea of getting a pair of ATs, but I don't want to end up getting a dud

Thanks

Dec 1, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Jpelg and I did a comparison of various aftermarket cables and this is what we found:

1. The sound difference between Clou Red and Blue is greater than the difference between Clou Blue and the stock cable

2. Clou Red is too harsh

i realise that there's an implied "imho" but can i also point out that the difference between the cardas and equinox is a personal preference. the cardas has a different sound and presentation to the other three after-market cables. Most head-fi members do have a preference for the equinox but there's a few minority that prefers the cardas. One such member is Jude, his review can be found here http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751

i havent heard the Equinox myself. but when I was purchasing, I was hoping the cable will provide more detail, a brighter and more forward presentation and the cardas has done that.

Dec 1, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Is there any way you could find out which model it was that sounded ill?

IIRC, the only A-T's at the NY meet were the W2002's. My recollection, from admittedly only a very brief listen out of a Cosmic, was that they were extremely polite, didn't do much to grab you, nor offend.

Sorry that I can't provide more detail, cuz if I did I'd be talking out of my butt
wink.gif
(no jokes here please). Probably a longer tryout would allow their strengths to come through. But dang, they are gorgeous!

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 26
The Clou cables can be had for VERY good prices in the aftermarket right now. If cost is a factor, you can put up a request to buy a used Clou Blue or Red. I purchased my Clou Blue for about 55 dollars, and I am VERY happy with the results, especially considering the price I paid. Now I am certain the Equinox will yield better results, but at 3x to 4x what I paid for my Clou Blue, I think I made the wisest choice, at least until my related equipment (amp, CDP, IC's) are improved to make the Equinox cable a truly worthwhile investment.

P.S. 600th post!

Dec 1, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

2. Clou Red is too harsh

Wait, so you're saying that the difference between red and blue is greater than the difference between blue and stock? I really have to disagree with this. The red is simply the blue cable with more shielding. There won't be much of a difference unless you're being bombarded with RF radiation. Todd of headroom says similar things. The clou blues present a tremendous value. The highs are much smoother and transparent, and the bass gains detail.

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #14 of 26
Jeff Guidry,

Quote:

The Clou cables can be had for VERY good prices in the aftermarket right now. If cost is a factor, you can put up a request to buy a used Clou Blue or Red. I purchased my Clou Blue for about 55 dollars, and I am VERY happy with the results, especially considering the price I paid. Now I am certain the Equinox will yield better results, but at 3x to 4x what I paid for my Clou Blue, I think I made the wisest choice, at least until my related equipment (amp, CDP, IC's) are improved to make the Equinox cable a truly worthwhile investment.

I agree with you on this 100% I think spending 180 dollars for equinox is not reasonable. Given the price of the Senn HD-600 is around 220 dollars shipped, another 180 dollars for a cable....I rather buy another HD-600 or just get the HD-580 for 130 at egghead.com

The best place to get the upgrade the cable is at the buy/sell forum. 120 dollars w/o the shipping cost is still very expensive for the Clou Red. I picked up my Clou from the buy/sell forum too.

Purk

Dec 1, 2002 at 10:23 PM Post #15 of 26
i just realized i can't justify the cost of an euqinox cable. i guess my choice is between clou red and blue. but can't seperate the two, as all the post i've read on the subject the consensus seems to be evenly split. what's the diffrence in sound between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back