Closed, warm, full size recommendations
Jun 8, 2018 at 4:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

DrSeven

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good closed back cans to use for relaxied listening and whilst on my balkony. Looking for something warm LCD2-, Fidelio-ish, but closed. Had the Audeze LCD XC for a while now but they are too expensive imo.

Been hinking about Nighthawk, MEZE 99 C, MrSpeakers Aeon, Shure 1540 and Ultrasone but ANY OTHER recommendation is welcome too!!

Any recommendations would be appreciated! :)

Jun 8, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 20
The Nighthawk from Audioquest is the open one. The closed one is the Nightowl. I just bought one as a replacement for a Denon AH-D2000. The soundstage is not very open and it looses therefore against my open Hifiman 400i.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 20
The Massdrop TX0’s is semi open or closed not sure which they use but is pretty warm. The 99 Classics are on the warmer side but I would not consider them warm and first time I’ve heard of the 1More Triple over ear huh.

Jun 8, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 20
ZMF Blackwood for sure. Think LCD-2 pre-Fazor, but remove the treble dips that cause recession (no it's not brighter). Amazing headphone, and this is coming from someone with an LCD-4. The Blackwood is by far my favorite closed back, in fact I like it more than the LCD-4.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 20
Most relaxing, engaging, warm sound I've heard thus far is the B&O H6 2nd generation. And I mean by a landslide. I could listen to these for 48 hours straight - no joke. They are just so musical and liquid with wonderful imaging and a crazy Soundstage for closed backs. I actually auditioned these today. The store just got the 1 more triple driver over ear in as well. They were good as well, but I have other cans that have a very similar SQ. I'm getting the H6s next. I honestly haven't heard a can that sounds similar to these. I figure if I'm going to add another can to the fleet, I might as well get something that has a flavor and character entirely of its own.

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 20
The Nighthawk from Audioquest is the open one. The closed one is the Nightowl. I just bought one as a replacement for a Denon AH-D2000. The soundstage is not very open and it looses therefore against my open Hifiman 400i.

OK thanks I confuse the names of those always xD so they not recommended?

Not sure what your budget is but I like the 99C and the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear quite a bit.

Budget is preferably sub 500 but basically it's as much as it takes xD so +1 for the meze

The Massdrop TX0’s is semi open or closed not sure which they use but is pretty warm. The 99 Classics are on the warmer side but I would not consider them warm and first time I’ve heard of the 1More Triple over ear huh.

TX0 indeed a good idea! Hmmm warmer Side might be enough.. definitely will need to vchec them out

ZMF Blackwood for sure. Think LCD-2 pre-Fazor, but remove the treble dips that cause recession (no it's not brighter). Amazing headphone, and this is coming from someone with an LCD-4. The Blackwood is by far my favorite closed back, in fact I like it more than the LCD-4.

Wow! That sounds awesome af! Never heard of them but if I can try them in Germany I must check them out asap!

Most relaxing, engaging, warm sound I've heard thus far is the B&O H6 2nd generation. And I mean by a landslide. I could listen to these for 48 hours straight - no joke. They are just so musical and liquid with wonderful imaging and a crazy Soundstage for closed backs. I actually auditioned these today. The store just got the 1 more triple driver over ear in as well. They were good as well, but I have other cans that have a very similar SQ. I'm getting the H6s next. I honestly haven't heard a can that sounds similar to these. I figure if I'm going to add another can to the fleet, I might as well get something that has a flavor and character entirely of its own.

That description sounds just what I'm after so I'll check these out as well!

Jun 10, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 20
Thanks for all the replies!!!!! Just amazing

Jun 17, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #9 of 20
@Rhamnetin you dont happen to have compared these to the mrsepakers by any chance? :ksc75smile: I would love to hear your opinion on these two vs

Jun 17, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 20
@Rhamnetin you dont happen to have compared these to the mrsepakers by any chance? :ksc75smile: I would love to hear your opinion on these two vs

Not directly unfortunately. I have listened to the Ether and Ether-C in the past, the ZMFs are warmer (more bass presence, less powerful treble response but not strongly laid back like say the HD 650).

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #11 of 20
Not directly unfortunately. I have listened to the Ether and Ether-C in the past, the ZMFs are warmer (more bass presence, less powerful treble response but not strongly laid back like say the HD 650).

Ok fair enough thanks! :)

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #12 of 20
I like the 99C and the 1More Triple Driver Over-Ear quite a bit.

Dont sleep on the 1More Triple driver. Its a very nice punchy warm sounding headphone for the price.

Jun 17, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 20
Dont sleep on the 1More Triple driver. Its a very nice punchy warm sounding headphone for the price.
Alright thx I'll see if I can test them maybe from Amazon or Thomann

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 20

I own both the NightHawk and the NightOwl, and I am very surprised to read about your perception of the NO having a bad soundstage, and it also goes against the statements in the reviews I have seen, where it's called one of the best closed headphones in terms of soundstage.
After the absolutely necessary 150h burn in they have a great soundstage IMHO, at least when paired with my Mojo. (before burn in it really does sound closed, compressed and veiled)
The NightHwak has an even wider soundstage, it can sound like an old, romanic church, where the NO sounds like a concert hall.
The NO is a bit more foreward, punchy and tighter, and being closed it's more useful for me.

At the current prices (NightOwl new for around 300 Euros, NightHawk less than 250) they are a very good deal.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 20

I have the B&O H6 Gen 2, and they were my main HPs before buying the AudioQuest NightHawk and NightOwl.
It's really interesting how perceptions differ, because I would have never called them warm. Quite the contrary, I'd describe them as open, clear and more on the light side, not really cool, but not warm.

I had the Sennheiser Momentum 2, which I would have called warm.
I compared the two over several weeks, and where the Sennheiser was warm and intimate, the B&O was on the more transparent side.
In direct comparison, the bass of the Sennheiser was much fuller, but kind of loose, the mids were foreward and intimate (great with Diana Krall) and the highs smooth but maybe a little recessed.
The B&O had a much leaner and drier bass, mids sounded a little more distant, less intimate but more realistic and "faster" and treble was more energetic, without being overpowering.
What won me over for the B&O was in the end a more realistic reproduction, especially with piano strokes they just sounded much closer to the real thing (I used to play the piano a long time ago...)
In terms of comfort and portability I actually liked the Sennheisers much better.

After I got the NightHawk and NightOwl I stopped using the B&O, and the NightOwl is now my main headphone.
That's what I call warm, the NightHawk even more so. Very good soundstage, the NightHawks almost sound like listening to stereo speakers in a room, the NightOwls a little less so but still very good.

So I guess we all hear things differently :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back