Closed-Type 'phones vs. Noise-Cancelling phones...difference?
May 30, 2006 at 4:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

camille

1000+ Head-Fier
sorry if this is such a n00b question, but i thought closed-type headphones offer great isolation from outside noises. although some isolation but not as much as i thought. and how does isolation coming from NC phones differ? thanks.

May 30, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #4 of 6
Also--to date--the performance and sound quality of actively noise canceling 'phones has been sort of unspectacular.

-Angler
etysmile.gif

May 30, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Closed headphones block out noise by completely surrounding your ear with headphone. Just like wearing earmuffs.

Noise cancelling headphones are closed and block noise the same way, plus they have circuitry to actively cancel out low-end noise. That circuitry reduces fan noise and engine noise, but does absolutely nothing to stop peoples voices. (But the closed aspect of the headphone still reduces some of the noises.)

(The Sennheiser PXC250's are an exception, as they aren't closed, so they don't have the "closed" benefits.)

Hmm..let me try this again, only simpler:

Noise-cancelling headphones block out noise the same as closed heapdhones + they do their special thing that blocks out additional low-end noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back