Closed Supra-aural headphone at $200
Dec 15, 2007 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gmhafiz

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a closed supra-aural headphone price about $200 and less.
  1. I listen mostly to R&B, Rock, and classical music.
  2. I wanted a supra-aural because if I'm not mistaken, my ears will be less damaged at prolonged use.
  3. I wanted a closed one because I do not want to disturb others.
  4. I also do not want amp because I want it to be portable.
  5. I want a good quality ones since this will be my first high grade cans. My current Koss Plug has just died.
  6. Is it advisable to go for active noise canceling cans over a passive one since I heard that the low pitched 'hiss' sound will be audible when you turn on the active noise canceling. This will disturb my listening experience since I listen to classical a lot.
Also, it would be great if I can find the recommended cans in Bangalore, India. It would be easy as far as the warranty is concern if something goes wrong.

Thanks!

Dec 15, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #5 of 13
Circumaurals do not damage ears. DT770s are circumaural and a very nice option. Sennheiser HD 25 is good if you really want supra-aural.

Dec 15, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are DT770's supra-aural?

You don't want active noise canceling.

Also, as far as I know, circumaural closed headphones don't damage your ears. Maybe someone will correct me?

I'm not saying that I do not want active noise canceling. I need clarification whether the low pitched 'hiss' sound is really there in ANC. If it is present, will it really disturb my listening experience.

If circumaural cans also do not damage my ears at prolonged usage, I'd be happy to consider them also
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway. I've been using Koss Plug for hours (sometimes 5 hours straight) but I have not suffer any hearing problems at all.

I will be using this headphone mostly for desktop. Koss Plug produces static sound when plugged into the desktop but no static when plugged into a laptop or DAP. Is that normal? Will current cans produce static when plugged to desktop?

Dec 26, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 13
I found this year 2004 post at High-end Headphones Needed! Help me! - Page 3 - Tech Support Forums - TechIMO.com This guy, MD1032 gave his recommendation as follows:
Quote:

under $100:

Sony V6/V7506 - drowning in bass, screeching highs. Some people love these things. I know one thing, my friend has a pair, and driven right, they can sound pretty good. Very fun sounding.
Alessandro MS1 - This is somewhere in the range of the Grado SR-80/125. Supposedly a better, slightly more neutral version. Highly reccommended.

under $200:
Grado SR-225: World's best rock headphone, hands down. Great impact, unbelievable mids, sparking highs. You got it.
Sennheiser HD-25-1: Not to be confused with their crappier counsins, the HD-25-SP's, these are a nice phone which I don't know too much about, but are very highly regarded on Head-Fi. Supposedly they have a nice bass punch.
Sennheiser HD555: New kid on the block, like the HD595. More up-front then the traditional Sennheiser sound, and supposedly some nice comfort. Don't know too much about these, but supposedly they're a good buy.
AKG K501: Supposedly these things are just unbelievable when it comes to being airy and spacious sounding. I heard someone describe these as the "anti-HD600", because they're so light and airy sounding. Don't except awesome bass response, however.
Sennheiser HD580: Great overall sound, good for classical. Laid-back, nice on bass. Everyone knows these.

under $300:
Alessandro MS2: Take the SR-225, give it a bit of a more neutral sound, better detail, more punchy, tight bass, and an even more dynamic sound, and you have the MS-2, supposedly one of the best Grados out there. These things were the FOTM at Head-Fi recently, and everyone loves their sound. This is my personal reccommendation. If you could manage to get a pair of these, their sound will blow you away, trust me. If comfort is an issue, these would actually probably be the least comfortable. But then again, I find grados very comfortable.
Sennheiser HD595: A much better HD555.
n: A basshead's dream. This is like strapping two subwoofers to your head!!
Beyerdynamic DT880: A very nicely balanced phone. Very dynamic sounding.

The Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO, Sennheiser HD595 are now sub $200 at amazon.com

I don't mind if it it supra-aural or circum-aural as long as the sound does not leak out since I will be using the cans in a quiet environment. Also, I do not want a noise-canceling cans for the fear of "hiss" sound.

So that leaves
  1. AKG K518dj
  2. AKG K501
  3. Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO
  4. Bose On-Ear Circumaural Headphone
  5. Sennheiser HD-25-1 II

Any other recommendation that gives more value for money?

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 13
dont bother with amazon.com. they dont ship electronics (headphones included) to our country.

take a look at bluetin.com (based in singapore) and have a peek at the Audio Technica A500. i just got these and i have to say they do sound good for metal.

and theyre also excellent for gaming as well... COD4 has never sounded so good :p

if ur located in KL/PJ, drop me a PM (here or LYN) if ud like to test out the A500.

Mar 10, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mADmAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dont bother with amazon.com. they dont ship electronics (headphones included) to our country.

take a look at bluetin.com (based in singapore) and have a peek at the Audio Technica A500. i just got these and i have to say they do sound good for metal.

and theyre also excellent for gaming as well... COD4 has never sounded so good :p

if ur located in KL/PJ, drop me a PM (here or LYN) if ud like to test out the A500.

I agree, ATs with low impedance are great even without an amp and the AT sound will crossover nicely between R&B and Classical.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 13
tl;dr - looking for help.

Hi, my father recently forgot a pair of Senn HD25's in a hotel, so he needs a replacement. He absolutely loved the sound form my AKG K141 MKII's, even when driven from his iPod Nano 5th gen, and these headphones, despite their low impedance, are not the easiest to drive. I would look for a pair of those, but he travels a great deal so portability and isolation are factors to take into consideration.

So in summation, I am looking for a pair of supra-aural headphones that are portable, easy to drive, with a decent mids/his, and that isolate pretty well. I'm looking to spend ~$130, and have no issue going to the used market.

He listens to largely classical, namely orchestral, music, and a fair share of 60's to late 70's rock and pop. (The Beatles, The Who, Creedance, Floyd, Jethro Tull, Beach Boys etc....)

Thanks ahead for any assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back