Closed/ semi-closed headphones up to 400$
May 26, 2014 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sattelight

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking for a pair new pair of headphones.
Looking for:
- Mostly balanced sound signature. I'm fairly sensitive to treble so if it's a little light on the top end that'd be ideal
- Great comfort
- Atleast some isolation
- Versatile. I'd like to be able to use these with pretty much any genre
- Decent soundstage
- Clarity

I'll be using these with a Matrix M stage as a compliment to my Q701's. I absolutely love the Q's but the treble causes my ears to hurt after about one album usually (depending on the material) and they are not the most comfortable headphones so I'd like to have something that I can use for more extended periods of time. Right now the Mad Dog by Mrspeakers  are at the top of my list but I've heard they don't necessarily pair very well with the M stage and I'm also considering the AKG K 240. If anyone has both and can comment on whether the Mad Dogs are worth the extra 230$ that'd be great to hear about. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I'm willing to spend up to around 400$ but obviously cheaper is better. 

If there's anything you need to know to help me make a better selection just let me know. Thanks for reading and any suggestions

May 27, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Mad Dogs and Alpha Dogs are very good cans.  Problem is that there are not many semi-open (never heard the term semi-closed) cans out there; within your budget; and are not in the same AKG family.  The DT 880 is great but too bright for you.

May 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah I meant semi-open. Thanks for response. I don't suppose you've heard the NAD Viso HP50 and would be able to compare them to the Mad Dogs? I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons online.

May 28, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah I meant semi-open. Thanks for response. I don't suppose you've heard the NAD Viso HP50 and would be able to compare them to the Mad Dogs? I haven't been able to find any direct comparisons online.

That's probably (at least in part) because they are aimed at two different market segments.  The HP 50 is a closed can primarily designed to be used on the move and with portable devices.  On the other hand the Mad Dog is mostly an at home headphone.

I have heard both of them--but months apart.  As a result, I really can't give a proper A vs. B comparison.  I can tell you that the HP50 is the warmer of the two.

May 28, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 9
Semi open: HD600/650 for a darker sound (I *think* your amp can drive them, though not 100% sure)

HE-400 for a more "musical" sound that can be driven with any amp.

These are two HF classics, you can't go wrong with them.

May 28, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 9
  Semi open: HD600/650 for a darker sound (I *think* your amp can drive them, though not 100% sure)

The M-Stage will drive all of these, but I would not describe any of them as semi-open (nor does Senn).  It is true that none of them leak sound as much as some open cans--like Grados.

May 28, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #9 of 9

I've actually been planning on getting the 400s pretty soon but I'm looking for the closed/ semi-open HPs for when sitting at my computer because it's pretty friggin noisy and I can hear the fan during quiet sections of music when listening to my Q701s. 

That's probably (at least in part) because they are aimed at two different market segments.  The HP 50 is a closed can primarily designed to be used on the move and with portable devices.  On the other hand the Mad Dog is mostly an at home headphone.

I have heard both of them--but months apart.  As a result, I really can't give a proper A vs. B comparison.  I can tell you that the HP50 is the warmer of the two.

Yeah I figured that their different applications might have something to do with the lack of comparisons. Thanks for your insight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back