Closed portables for wide variety of music
May 7, 2013 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

EvanA

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking to get myself some new headphones.  These will be my first pair of dedicated, portable headphones, so they need to be closed.  Currently I am using the CX 300-II IEM and they're showing their age.  I listen to a wide variety of music such as house, electronic, classical, rock, etc.  I would like something with a wide soundstage and balanced lows/mids/highs.  I want a pair with present mids but have good bass when needed.  I have been considering the ATH-M50s and Shure SRH840s, but from what I am reading, the m50s aren't the best for classical music.  I'm open to other suggestions beyond these.  I would prefer not to spend over $200.

May 7, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 7
I faced that exact same choice last year and chose the Shures, then added a JDS C421.  Very happy with the combo.

May 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 7
They're OK with the Ipod.  I fly a lot, and for me, the amp is a necessity, mainly because I like it pretty loud.  They work without the amp, but borderline in my opinion.  If your environment is quiet, or you don't like loud, you'd be ok, but it was always my intention to amplify, so I had that in mind when I made the purchase.  Without the amp, for me, I would have bought something a bit more efficient.

May 9, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
They're OK with the Ipod.  I fly a lot, and for me, the amp is a necessity, mainly because I like it pretty loud.  They work without the amp, but borderline in my opinion.  If your environment is quiet, or you don't like loud, you'd be ok, but it was always my intention to amplify, so I had that in mind when I made the purchase.  Without the amp, for me, I would have bought something a bit more efficient.

Alright.  I think I would be fine without the amp for now because I don't usually run very loud on my desktop headset (Corsair Vengeance 1300).  I might end up getting a good dac/amp in the future.  

Do you think there is enough low end from the set when listening to classical music?

May 10, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Alright.  I think I would be fine without the amp for now because I don't usually run very loud on my desktop headset (Corsair Vengeance 1300).  I might end up getting a good dac/amp in the future.  

Do you think there is enough low end from the set when listening to classical music?

Definitely enough for me, but I am more of an analytical listener than a basshead.  That said, I do occasionally hit the boost switch.  But again, the airplane environment is a factor as well.

May 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Definitely enough for me, but I am more of an analytical listener than a basshead.  That said, I do occasionally hit the boost switch.  But again, the airplane environment is a factor as well.

I think I'm gonna see if I can find a place to go test these out. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Users who are viewing this thread

Back