Closed, Portable, Budget Headphones for use with Laptop/MP3 Player
Jan 10, 2011 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rb101c

New Head-Fier
I just discovered this site recently and was hoping that you could help me upgrade from my current, mediocre headphones.  I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones with minimal leakage to use (unamped) with my laptop and mp3 player.  I would prefer to not spend more than $80, but definitely not more than $100.  I don't need amazing sound quality, but I'd just like it to suit my needs.  Comfort is very important to me, as I would like to wear them for several hours a day.  I wear glasses as well, so I was guessing that on the ear would be better?  I also have a smaller head as well.  If they looked nice/clean, that would be a plus too.  But comfort and sound-leakage are my highest concerns.

So far, I've been looking at a several models, including Sennheiser's HD228, PX200-ii, and even HD428, JVC HA-S900, Beyerdynamic DT235, Denon AH-D1001, MEElec HT-21, Creative HQ-1600, and Audio Technica ATH-SJ11/55 (which I'd really like to hear more about if anyone knows anything about them, not much information out there at all; I like the look of the SJ11 but I'm not sure how much better sounding the SJ55's are or how comfortable either model is).

I listen to a wide variety of genres, and I'm open to pretty much any suggestions you all have that fits in my price range.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 16
Don't get the PX200-II unless you like standing still like a robot. That thing is ULTRA sensitive to any movement. One slight nudge will throw off the SQ completely.... So disappointed.

The Creative Aurvana Live was FANTASTIC, and so I think the D1001 is a definite worthy mention... though they don't isolate from the outside all too well... they do keep sound from leaking out well enough.

Also, if you want cheap, comfy and VERY isolating, the JVC-HAS700... those things are beauties for $30.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 16
These will mainly be used indoors, but I'm on the go a lot so it would be nice for them to "travel" easily.  I think I used the word "portable" loosely - I just don't want anything really, really big on my head.  Currently at a college campus, so there's usually some noise around me, so a little isolation would be nice.  Most of the time I don't want to bother others with my music which was why I wanted pretty low sound leakage.

The musical source right now is just my laptop, still waiting to get an mp3 player replacement.

Any more info needed?  Also, I forgot to add that I don't really like "junk" on the cords (like the volume control on the PX200-ii) that gets in the way.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #6 of 16
So, isolation, non-leaky, general use, kinda portable, full-sized... There are some sennheiser models that are just this exactly, but you can probably get something better for 80€. I just think other people will give you a better opinion than me.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Keep in mind that the Denons and the Creative Aurvana Live will isolate well enough when you're LISTENING to music. It's when the music is off that they don't isolate well.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #8 of 16
Yeah, I don't intend to use them without music.  Also, what is the difference between the Denon D1001 and the Creative Aurvana Live?  I did not look into that much detail but I saw a lot of people treat them as identical.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 16

Quote:
Yeah, I don't intend to use them without music.  Also, what is the difference between the Denon D1001 and the Creative Aurvana Live?  I did not look into that much detail but I saw a lot of people treat them as identical.

There are minor  superficial differences but the drivers are the same and the housings are very similar any differences sonically should be minute.

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 16
I too have a small head, and for me the most comfortable closed phones I've used are the Beyer DT250-80 and Senn 280 Pro. I do not like bright, treble-y sound so if you do, you might prefer some other models.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 16
Senn 280 Pro?

OMG. That thing was like a pit bull's bite on my head...some downright serious clamping.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #13 of 16
I can only speak for the BD 235s but they almost fit over my ears, have soft earpads and don't clamp much at all after a couple days of wearing them in. I also wear glasses so clamping is something I was concerned with but luckily these aren't causing any problems.

I picked mine up from Amazon for under $50USD but they seem to be sold out now. But so far I love them, great sound for the money, lightweight, comfortable and can be driven by any portable player without issue. They also have some isolation, I'd have to write it as a 6/10 depending on what environment you are in.

Jan 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #15 of 16
Try the Audio Technica ATH-SJ55 Street DJ Style headphones. I personally have them and let me tell you, they have AMAZING bass for its price ($89). They fold up to about the size of my hand, if not a bit bigger. They isolate noise when put on 80% volume on my phone (Nokia). They're mainly made out of plastic with a touch of aluminum on the earcups but they sure can take some beating. For me, they're probably one of the best closed back, portable headphones for its price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back