closed, over ear, around $150 relatively neutral
May 17, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #2 of 48
If you like hearing the drums and cymbals, then it seems as if you would like a pair of headphones with a V-shaped EQ curve. However, at the same time, you don't want coloured headphones? This is a bit contradictory...

I would say that the HM5 should be taken off the list because they are quite flat and neutral, so may not be what you are looking for.

For $50 more, another pair of headphones that comes to mind is the Denon D2000.

May 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 48
Open box D2000 can be found on Electronics Expo for $200. I've had great experiences with their open box headphones. They're in brand new condition and come with a full warranty.

The Creative Aurvana Live! might be a good "budget" option. They use the same drivers as the D1001 and measured pretty well on Innerfidelity. I've seen them for sale for $55 before, though they're usually priced around $75-100. I've heard they're some of the best under $100.

The HM5 is fairly neutral, but I felt they had a slightly weird sound overall. The bass was both bloated and not bloated simultaneously, for one. Aside from that, it's really hard to describe the weirdness I experienced with words. Still, I'd recommend them around the $100 price range. I found they aren't difficult to drive.

The M50s are pretty nice as well.

May 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 48
The V-Moda M80, Sony ZX700, Denon D2000 are good sounding headphones for there price and they sound natural, detailed in all frequency response.

May 17, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 48
HM5s really aren't as flat as people make them out to be. Check out the measurements for the FA-003 (same can) on Innerfidelity. They are NOT hard to drive.

If you can find a way to afford the $200 open box D2000 on Electronics Expo, go with that. Otherwise, I've only heard the HM5 and M50 out of all of those.

I think I preferred the M50 over the HM5, but it's been a long while since I've heard the M50. Most people seem to enjoy the HM5 more than I do as well. I don't know...I just thought the HM5s sounded weird. They're kind of laid back and dark, kind of bloated sounding, and have a weird mixture of sounding smooth and not-smooth at the same time. They have a weird dip right around 300Hz, which I found to be very noticeable along with the emphasized lower mids and bass.

Again, though, I seem to be the only one that thinks this about them. Granted, I was comparing them against my D2000 and modded T50RPs. When I took a break from headphones and came back to the HM5s, I found them pleasing to the ears until I put my other headphones on. I think they're semi-competitive in their price range, but I found them to be a step down from the HD598.

May 18, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #8 of 48
You won't go far wrong with the KRK8400's i'm loving mine.Haven't heard a word the wife has said for three days now...
rolleyes.gif

May 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:
I'm not too sure about recommending D2000 for neutrality.

If you're willing to equalize, it's probably one of the better deals out there for the money, though. I would definitely not call the D2000 neutral, though.

May 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 48
Quote:
would you guys say the krk, shure and audiotechnica m50 are above the mdrv6 in sound quality?

Having owned all of these headphones (and sold all except the V6),
I think the Shure 840 and Audio Technica M50 sound better than the V6.
Though neither has a wide soundstage, both have a wider soundstage
than the V6.  And they're both more natural sounding than the V6
as well.

Choosing between the 840 and M50 is a tough call for me.
If push came to shove, I'd go with the Shure over the AT for sound
and the AT over the Shure for build quality.  But overall, they are
very close.

The KRK 8400 is a better sounding headphone than the V6 except
for the bass. 

And the M50 and 840 are my choices over the KRK 8400 because
of the 8400's bass, which I found to be sorely deficient.

May 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 48
I'd take the M50 over the 840.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back