closed, over ear, around $150 relatively neutral
May 19, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 48
Quote:
whats wrong with the fit on the shures? i have a small egg shaped head

The Shures are heavy, and they have a ridiculously thick headband which is basically pad-less. If your head is too big, it flattens out and puts pressure on the top of your head which can be extremely painful after several minutes. That's what happens to me anyway, and I have an average-sized head. A small egg-shaped head is probably the perfect candidate for getting a decent fit with the Shures actually.

May 20, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 48
Quote:
do you think the shure srh840 has more bass, or is my only real option the m50?

i guess im not going to get anymore treble/cymbal detail than i already have with the hd598?

also good to know that my head is a probably candidate for the 840. thanks manveru

The Shures and the AT's have a generally similar amount of bass.
Either would be more than satisfactory in that regard.

I'm not familiar with the HD598.

May 20, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #34 of 48
Based on the Innerfidelity graphs (and what I've heard from others), the M50 should have more bass below 40Hz than the SRH840. Based on the 300Hz sine wave, I'd guess the M50s have a stronger tendency to be sharp or sibilant than the SRH840. The treble beyond 10KHz also seems to be more elevated than on the SRH840. 

May 20, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

If you're talking about a well as in a hole in the ground that you get water from, I get a similar sensation when listening to the HM5s.

well, that "hole in the ground" describes the well i had in mind pretty well. 
beerchug.gif

840= perspiration on my forehead 
duggehsmile.png

May 20, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:
I would call the HD598 better than the KRK8400, but not better than the SRH840 or DT770 for rock/metal. I would go DT770 over all of them for rock/metal.
I keep flip flopping between the krk8400 and the srh840. i guess its just time to make a decision.
thanks for all the info guys, you're the most help id ever find.
anymore info wouldn't hurt :p

I say get the KRK KNS 8400, because their cheaper.

May 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:
"
Heya,

I would call the HD598 better than the KRK8400, but not better than the SRH840 or DT770 for rock/metal. I would go DT770 over all of them for rock/metal.

Very best,"

i keep flip flopping between the krk8400 and the srh840. i guess its just time to make a decision.

thanks for all the info guys, youre the most help id ever find.

anymore info wouldnt hurt :p

They're both good headphones.
If bass in your music is important to you, I'd say go with the Shure.
If you can deal with "bass-lite", then the 8400's are the better choice
IMO - more comfortable and perhaps slightly more detailed.

May 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #41 of 48
I'm a huge fan of the M50. I just bought mine a couple weeks ago. They have incredible detail in the upper frequencies. Nice solid bass that definitely digs down into subwoofer levels. No problems what so ever with em. Lots of people claim that they've got quite a clamping force. Not in my case. 

The ATH-M50's have a "V" frequency response? I don't think so.

May 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #42 of 48
Quote:
im all about detail, and i dont think the bass will concern me, especially coming from the flat, open back hd598. i just really want to hear the details in the drums and cymbals, dont care about to much else at this point

going to call gutiar center to see if they have an open krk8400. they never have anything on display though, so i cant get my hopes up

Having both, you're not going to regret getting the 8400s. They have tremendously more detail than the 598s, and you'll be able to hear the drums and cymbals clearly. It'll show you what "flat" really sounds like, and I sometimes can't listen to the 598s after listening to the 8400s because of their unnatural and veiled sound.

However, the 598s are super comfy, great for rock, and great for non analytical listening.

May 21, 2012 at 6:34 AM Post #43 of 48
You've obviously given this a lot of thought, and received plenty of good input here,
so you'll most likely end up enjoying the KRK's. 
They do many things as well or better than any other headphone in their range.

Same price everywhere, so just buy from a great seller with a liberal & honest return policy.

May 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:
how is the hd598 unnatural and veiled sounding? i thought it was an extremly flat, natural sounding phone

It's a little on the warm side with slightly lacking lower bass, but it is fairly flat and natural sounding as a whole. The treble is nice and extended while being very even and smooth overall. Anything that's more detailed is probably overemphasizing some aspect of the treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back