Closed & Open Complimenting Headphones
Jan 22, 2013 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CrakkerJakk

New Head-Fier
I want a pair of amazing closed headphones for when i travel on a plane or want isolation while gaming. I also want a pair of open headphones for those warmer days and when my house is actually quiet while I am playing Battlefield on my desktop. So I have ordered both the Audiotechnica M50s and the Sennhesier HD 598. Will they compliment each other nicely filling the need for both isolation on an airplane (M50s) and detailed wide sound stage for gaming(HD598)?

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 9
Heya,

They will compliment each other in the sense of open and closed, the M50 will provide more isolation than the HD598 obviously, and the HD598 (along with any open headphone frankly) will have a way better sound stage than that of the M50. So you've got what you're looking for.

But whether or not you'll actually like the headphones for your purposes, that's another story.

The M50 isolates, but it will not isolate that well on a plane; no headphone does well there, planes have sub-bass frequencies that simply cannot be isolated out hardly at all so you will always have a thin sound basically. Also the M50 with it's cramped little sound stage is rather awful for gaming.  It's ok for music, if you like it I suppose.

The HD598 has a great sound stage, and can be great for gaming, assuming you don't like to hear sub-bass and big boomy explosions. It's not a bassy headphone. So if that's what you're looking for, you're spot on here. If you were looking for bigger bass ability for both games and music, well, not going to cut it here. So it will come down to your expectation and what you like/want in the bottom end of the frequencies.

So are you looking for validation post-purchase?

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 9
I was just about to post a very similar thread. If this doesn't work out, I'll make a new one. But I was wondering the same thing!

I have a pair of HD598's that I absolutely love. However, I feel that there is a slight void that needs to be filled in terms of more bass-heavy music such as hip-hop, rap, some rock, electronic, etc. while still having decent imaging and a decent soundstage. I was looking towards the DT770's because I was looking for a solid pair of closed-backs, but I wanted some other advice for headphones around $150 - $300. That price doesn't have to stick if there is a really good companion you guys suggest. But as the 598's are around the $200 range, I was going to pair it with something similar. Do you guys have suggestions for a companion for my Sennheisers?? =]

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
I was just about to post a very similar thread. If this doesn't work out, I'll make a new one. But I was wondering the same thing!

I have a pair of HD598's that I absolutely love. However, I feel that there is a slight void that needs to be filled in terms of more bass-heavy music such as hip-hop, rap, some rock, electronic, etc. while still having decent imaging and a decent soundstage. I was looking towards the DT770's because I was looking for a solid pair of closed-backs, but I wanted some other advice for headphones around $150 - $300. That price doesn't have to stick if there is a really good companion you guys suggest. But as the 598's are around the $200 range, I was going to pair it with something similar. Do you guys have suggestions for a companion for my Sennheisers?? =]

Beyer DT770 PRO
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 580
AKG K167

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Beyer DT770 PRO
AudioTechnica A900X
Ultrasone HFI 580
AKG K167

Very best,

For the Beyer's, would you suggest the 80 ohm or the 250? I have read that a lot of people suggest the 80's even though they're less accurate, they may be the type of phone I'm looking for. However, another person has said that if I have the amp capabilities, I should go for the 250. I have an E17/E09K right now, so I'm sure it can handle either one. I just want to pair them correctly. I think in the end, the 250, having a little less bass and more treble will be the way to go, but I wanted to know what you thought!?

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
For the Beyer's, would you suggest the 80 ohm or the 250? I have read that a lot of people suggest the 80's even though they're less accurate, they may be the type of phone I'm looking for. However, another person has said that if I have the amp capabilities, I should go for the 250. I have an E17/E09K right now, so I'm sure it can handle either one. I just want to pair them correctly. I think in the end, the 250, having a little less bass and more treble will be the way to go, but I wanted to know what you thought!?

Heya,

They sound too similar to make a clear divide between the two. The difference comes from how the load works with an amplifier, not the actual headphone though. So keep that in mind. In general, it's popular hypothesis that the 80ohm is a little bassier, and by little, I mean very little. And the 250ohm supposedly is more "natural" whatever that means. I think they're too similar to make such a statement. I would suggest getting which ever is the least expensive for you. You have the ability to power each of them perfectly fine. And it doesn't matter since you're using solid state amplification, so impedance really makes no difference here. It would only matter if you were using OTL tube amplification (and the 250ohm would be the one you'd want to choose there).

Very best,

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 9
I am really looking to be immersed in my games and still maintain a competitive edge of hearing there footsteps without sacrificing too much detail for more bass. And yes post purchase validation to ease my mind on my choice of audio gear :)

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 9
I guess i am looking for balance between good sound stage, isolation, bass, and enough detail to hear footsteps. I tired the Brainwavz hm5 but they werent comfortable for me :/

MalVeauX I value your oppinion and want to thank you for replying to my thread. I follow some of your threads and I feel that you know what your talking about.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I guess i am looking for balance between good sound stage, isolation, bass, and enough detail to hear footsteps. I tired the Brainwavz hm5 but they werent comfortable for me :/

MalVeauX I value your oppinion and want to thank you for replying to my thread. I follow some of your threads and I feel that you know what your talking about.

Heya,

If you get your new headphones and they don't deliver in every possible way for you, some different recommendations to try (assuming you can return the others):

Sony MA900 - All the sound stage you'll ever want, plenty of low end response, great for gaming, and good for music. I generally recommend it over the HD598 for people that want sound stage and some low end warmth.
Beyer DT770 PRO - Isolation is great, good sound stage for a closed headphone, great detail, good warm low end, great for games and great for music and works well in busy environments that are noisy. My portable is a DT770 premium actually.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back