closed/ noise cancelling headphones for airplane?
Feb 15, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #16 of 22
I second what Jeffreybar said ...

Slow Diver -- the Creative EP 630's do sound good for the price, and if you 're going to listen to them mostly while seated (not running, moving around a lot, etc.), their cord microphonics will be a non-factor. I use them in a noisy office, and they don't keep me from hearing the phone, but other people talking is now way in the distance instead of right on top of me. They don't isolate like the Etymotics do, but there's no noise leakage, they cost a lot less and I believe they are available in at least one mega-huge retailer, if I remember threads I've read in the past (the price is really nice online).

I haven't heard the Marshmallows, but the principle would be essentially the same as for the Creatives.

But save up for the Etymotics down the road (save a lot for the ER4's!), if you listen to classical.

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On this topic, I have some horrid news I need to get out. First of all, I'm going on a trip next week. My 5pro's are in the shop and will be shipped when I get back. My 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for my K81DJ's (with HD650 cable) is messed up, so I ordered a Grado adapter off of TTVJ last night. I got an e-mail telling me that they're out of stock for now, so I'll get that after the trip also. I really don't want to bring my DT770's, but I guess I'll have to if it's necessary. I can't use my PX100's on the plane.
frown.gif

Rat shack has those adapters for like 4 bucks even better than the one I got with my HD650 since it didn't work properly from the start, I didn't even move it. Had to jiggle the plug around for all channels to work, because one of the connectors inside was not making contact and fit was pretty loose too, I was rather disappointed with that adapter that came with 650's, really bad quality.
Rat shack golden series adapter, on the other hand, has very tight fit, doesn't jiggle at all and I can't complain about the sound.

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But save up for the Etymotics down the road (save a lot for the ER4's!), if you listen to classical.

ER-4P's are well in his price range. If u can get them, get them.

If in a hurry, get E2C.They're pretty good for the price and what u can get in your time (but ER-6(i)s better).

Feb 15, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow diver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have no problem with IEM's, any recommendations for those?

I have the Shure E4, and it works a treat. Sound quality is great, that goes without saying.

For traveling, it comes with a neat little case (fits in my pocket), and lots of different attachments, so one of them is sure to fit well.

Feb 15, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #20 of 22
I used my CX300 on a 3 hour train journey last month and they were superb.

My lads have got HD280 pro 64ohm and some PXC150.

We are flying to Orlando in the summer and I will be able to do a side by side comparison.

Personally I am hankering after a a pair of DT770-80ohm to try.

I have now gone off my SR60 for home use after demoing a pair of DT990 last week.

Feb 16, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #21 of 22
I guess I am in the minority here (with apbarboza). I felt my ER-4Ps did a rather poor job at isolating airplane noise... and yes I had them inserted properly.

I am going to add the HD-280 to the stable and give'em a try.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #22 of 22
I've tried Ety R6i and ER4p; Shure E3c and E4c, Sennheiser PX300 and CX300. Like them all but not on a plane so now use Logitech noise canceling 'phones. For some reason they work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back