closed/ noise cancelling headphones for airplane?
Feb 13, 2007 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

slow diver

New Head-Fier
hey, i need a recommendation for a pair of closed headphones with good sound quality and maybe some noise canceling options as well.

after an experience last week when i didnt realize everyone on my school bus was staring at me blasting classical through my hd595's, i think i need some cans that don't leak so much sound.
tongue.gif

i guess my range is 100-200 ish....

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 22
On this topic, I have some horrid news I need to get out. First of all, I'm going on a trip next week. My 5pro's are in the shop and will be shipped when I get back. My 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for my K81DJ's (with HD650 cable) is messed up, so I ordered a Grado adapter off of TTVJ last night. I got an e-mail telling me that they're out of stock for now, so I'll get that after the trip also. I really don't want to bring my DT770's, but I guess I'll have to if it's necessary. I can't use my PX100's on the plane.
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 22
Slow diver: For planes, IEMs are the way to go. They isolate really well, very good sound quality for the price range you gave, and many kinds you cant feel if you lean against a pillow (at least for my UM1s). I have no problem going to sleep with them in my ear. So if you don't mind the feeling of something in your ear as some people do, you should go that way IMO.
etysmile.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 22
BUY BOSE MAN!!! I BOUGHT SOME YESTERDAY.. AND ERM, THEY LIKE BROKE TODAY!!! THEY'RE THE BEST I TELL YA.. THEY HAVE BEST DURABLITY IN THE WORLD!!

Naw I'm kidding, my point is never think about getthing those Quiet comforts.. they break in 2 days.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 22
See now this is where I've always felt active noise-cancellation shined. While I wouldn't recommend a Bose QC2 or QC3 in general, I always felt that if you were looking for something to activily cancel the loud plane noise around you that those two, or any of the other options from Logitech, or Sony would do really well, if you care more about the cancellation then the sound quality. From personal experiences my IEMs always seem to create this weird field in the plane of pressure and they don't seem to do the job I expect them to do.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by apbarboza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See now this is where I've always felt active noise-cancellation shined. While I wouldn't recommend a Bose QC2 or QC3 in general, I always felt that if you were looking for something to activily cancel the loud plane noise around you that those two, or any of the other options from Logitech, or Sony would do really well, if you care more about the cancellation then the sound quality. From personal experiences my IEMs always seem to create this weird field in the plane of pressure and they don't seem to do the job I expect them to do.

Say NO to Bose!

Feb 14, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 22
Etymotics ER6i's (or the ER6's), especially if you listen to a lot of classical.

Then there are the Westones, Ultimate Ears, etc. -- for your purposes, stick to a "closed" in-ear monitor that isolates and doesn't leak sound.

Feb 15, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #13 of 22
E2s isolate quite well with decent sound. I think the JVC Marshmallow is quite a bargain in the airplane noise reduction field and they are $20 when not on sale. I bought some Creative noise reduction headphones on the cheap and they work well to reduce the low frequency noise but the sound isn't great. IEMs reduce all sound. The Creative EP630 works well and sounds great. I fky often and it's the E2, the Marshmallow, or the EP630 for me.

Feb 15, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #15 of 22
I divide my plane-flying life into two halves: before and after IEMs. Not only can you hear the music soooo much better on a plane with IEMs, they really reduce travel fatigue quite a lot (I don't think I ever realized before how much of that icky been-flying-all-day feeling was due to the constant wind & engine noise until I started wearing IEMs). They stay in my ears from the moment I get on the plane until the moment it lands. Even if I'm not listening to music, my IEMs are there, just to make the journey more pleasant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back