closed headphones up to 150 euros
Aug 28, 2020 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Michelest

Head-Fier
hi guys,
I would like a closed headphones, very comfortable and resistant, which does not disturb those who sleep next to me.
Use: listening to audio CDs and sporadically watching films.

the headphones will be connected to mobile devices. I will not use neither a dac nor an amplifier

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 16
I don't know what your music preferences are, but you can't go wrong with 1 of the following 2 headphones; they are great all-rounders -
  • AKG K371
  • Audio-Technica M40x

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the reply.
are the m50x better than the m40x?
I found them for about the same price.
It depends on your sonic preferences, really. The M40x is the more balanced-sounding of the 2. The M50x, on the other hand, has a mild "v-shaped" response, with scooped mids, slightly-boosted mid-bass, and a prominent treble presentation that may sound harsh to certain people.

Aug 29, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #6 of 16
Sennheiser HD 25

Aug 31, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 16
It depends on your sonic preferences, really. The M40x is the more balanced-sounding of the 2. The M50x, on the other hand, has a mild "v-shaped" response, with scooped mids, slightly-boosted mid-bass, and a prominent treble presentation that may sound harsh to certain people.

What about the K371 headphones compared to the M50X headphones?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 16
Audio technica MSR7bs

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-technica-ath-msr7b-impressions-discussion-thread.893314/

These were close to £300 earlier this year now down to £80-135 if you check ebay and amazon used pairs, but ebay prices are the best atm.

Not had the K371 but had the K550s which are meant to be similar, the msr7bs are a notch up imo.

Good noise isolation also but I think you have to be a tad careful since many if not most closed hps if someone is within a few inches of you like next to you, they may hear some sounds depending on your volume level. If the volumes low then it should be ok, if the persons a few metres away then it's fine at mid/high levels. You may prefer isolated in ear phones otherwise or noise cancellation head phones like sony xm3/4 series.

So it kind of depends what your volume and listening too if its just movies, tv shows and telly you can put it on low but some music requires a bit higher levels to enjoy say mid/high so take that into consideration.

Maybe check amazon for some cheaper used pairs of K371s or Msr7bs so you could perhaps return them if its not suitable, just a suggestion mind.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #12 of 16
Unfortunately on amazon.it I have not found offers for the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b headphones. I found the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 (without the letter b) for 140 euros but I prefer the MSR7b.
I found the K371s and M50Xs for around 90 euros.

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #14 of 16
Unfortunately on amazon.it I have not found offers for the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7b headphones. I found the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 (without the letter b) for 140 euros but I prefer the MSR7b.
I found the K371s and M50Xs for around 90 euros.

Sometimes you have to keep trying and checking really on amazon since they come and go, one thing to remember is the 'b's are balanced version of the msr7s, so have 2 wires on each driver unit left and right, the normal msr7 its only one wire on one side. You will find one wire on one side easier in bed, the differences is the B version is also more fine-tuned and tweaked better sound quality and balance ready so future proof, but sure a slight annoyance at 2 cables. I got use to it btw so am sure you can!

£76 here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-audi...598123?hash=item1cec4dae2b:g:BhMAAOSw~sJcN0cc

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audio-Te...014545?hash=item23dc3fa791:g:BhMAAOSw~sJcN0cc

Annoying to see such a price drop and there are no other balanced headphones for that price, so you are technically getting an almost £300 pair hps for silly money.

K371s for 90 euros not so bad, cheapest I have seen on amazon or ebay was £70 so similar really.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #15 of 16
thanks for the tips. Are the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 headphones easily piloted from an MP3 player or a smartphone? I don't want to be forced to buy a DAC / AMP
I found them used for sale in the UK.

I'm afraid to buy them from the two sellers you reported to me because the shipment starts from China and there may be customs duties to pay.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back