Closed headphones that sound like HD580's?
Jun 8, 2009 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

lollerberry

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fiers,

A few years ago I've spent a lot of time reading the forums, and of course ended up trying a few pairs of headphones after buying them on the forums too.

When I got my hands on the HD-580's, now probably 3 years ago, I've stopped. As far as open cans go, I don't see how you can improve on this. And I haven't even tried the 600's and 650's because of that.

For portable use I've become accustomed to the Sennheiser CX400's.

But I got the bug again, and I'm wondering which closed cans would sound similar -- or closest -- to the HD580? Is there such a thing? I've had the 280's but the comparison there is not even worth drawing.

Would appreciate any advice.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 22
the hd265 uses the same drivers (i'm pretty sure). its livelier due to closed design but about as close as you can get

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the hd265 uses the same drivers (i'm pretty sure). its livelier due to closed design but about as close as you can get

There was a thread about this, do a search.
I remembering reading about the Kenwood KH-K1000.

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the QUESTION. All closed cans under $700 sound like s**t compared to HD 580.

Try some Ultrasones...and get over
wink_face.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 22
You can try looking at the ESW9. It's a very Senn-sounding closed back, although whether or not it's as good as the HD580 is debeatable. Or you can try the D2000 too, which sounds like a mix between the Senns and the Ultrasones.

But IMHO it's ridicious to think that no open back can improve on the HD580. I am not saying that you WILL be able to find a better open back, but you need to at least try them out before you can come to that conclusion.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 22
The Kenwood KH-K1000 and BeyerDynamic DT150 comes close.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try looking at the ESW9.

I'll sort of second this. I own the Audio Technica ESW10jpn, very similar the ESW9's from reports here on head-fi. Note that I have not heard the ESW9's.

I chime in because I had HD580's for a year or so before I got the ESW10's, and had both for a month or so. I liked the ESW10's enough that I traded my HD580's for a pair of Ultrasone 780's. The 780's have been fun, but no match for the HD580's. The point is, the ESW10's fill the same niche for me as the 580's, except closed, which suits my needs better. Note that they don't sound LIKE the HD580, they are a shade more detailed and forward in the highs, a shade stronger in the lower end, and the soundstage is much more, ahhh, intimate (i.e. smaller, but very enjoyable). The ESW10's also require little in the way of amping, my Pico does them wonders. They are also way overpriced, if you can find them.

Again, why am I pitching the ESW10's? Because I love mine. Also, because I think the ESW9's might be real worthy try at replacing a pair of HD580's.

All the best with your search!

Jun 8, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Denon. I had both HD580 and HD650 and find my current markl D5000 to be better than HD650 while having a similar sound signature. YMMV.

I generally agree... they sound very similar with the right set up - though, the MD5000s may sound a bit brighter and more detailed, which is good.

Jun 9, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #13 of 22
I LOVE My modded HD 580's...and I also LOVE my Ultrasone Proline 650's - nuff said..

Jun 9, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 22
Wow, some serious heavyweights in this thread, thanks a lot!

To sum up, here are the options according to you guys:

HD-265 - a little sceptical about their comfort, just based on how monolithic is looks
KH-K1000 - never tried any kenwood headphones
Ultrasone Pro-550 - sceptical about the brand, and they look absolutely hideous!
DT-250 250 or DT150 - haven't even heard of these models until now, would love to try them
ESW9 or ESW10 - stunning
D5000 - stunning and more pricey

The woodies especially look amazing, I think that is what I will try to hunt for on the forums to try out. Don't know any places here in Montreal that carry the ESW's or the Denon.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back