Closed headphones that can match my open setup for enjoyment?
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. Got a rig upstairs that consists of some Beyer DT990 Premiums, Beresford Caiman Mk2 (upgraded) DAC and a NAD D3020 as my headphone amp. I absolutely love the sound this system gives me.

However I cannot always listen upstairs so at the moment I do most of my listening from an iPad Pro, with either Yamaha MT220s or KZ ZS5's. Surprisingly, if I listen to music I normally choose the ZS5. The MT220s just don't seem to have any fun factor for me, despite the ZS5 being a lot cheaper. They sound a bit boring and flat, which is fair enough as they are primarily studio phones. I've tried them plugged into my main system though and they don't do it for me out of that either so I probably just don't get on with them overall.

Anyway, I would ideally like a full sized pair of closed headphones that will rival my upstairs system so at very least I don't feel like I'm hugely missing out every time I have to listen upstairs. The ZS5s are usefully close, considering, but still I desire that extra bit of quality.

I changed some DT250s for the MT220 and preferred the latter so pointless suggesting those, I want something better than a pair of DT250s.

In other words: Fun sound, driven from an iPad Pro, normally listen to electronica, 80s electric, rock, indie, has to be closed (block out TV / snoring), not bothered if wired or wireless (bluetooth), max budget about £250ish (second hand or otherwise).

If there isn't anything hugely better for that sort of money I guess I will stick with the ZS5s.

Any suggestions? I've been out of the game for a long time!

EDIT: Wildcard option - a closed, easy to drive full size headphone that could replace both! Unlikely I know as the 990 is open so probably not easy to replicate in a closed phone.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 14
Beyer DT770
V-Moda M-100

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the suggestions. Out of those, I've only heard of the DT770 - I had a pair absolutely ages ago. Struggling to remember what they sounded like now. Can an iPad drive those OK?

I'll look into the other suggestions :)

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT-150 (my favorite) or DT-770 Pro. The DT-250 is a bit too grainy in comparison with my home amps. The DT-770 are basically a closed version of the DT-990. I find the soundstage on my DT-770 Pro 32 ohms huge for a closed can. But the DT-150 is equally huge but gentler and easy to listen to for hours without sacrificing detail at all. Only a little impact. But the DT-150 can produce very deep bass..and it's fast and controlled.. it just doesn't have quite as much smack as the DT-770. The DT-150 are more accurate in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks. Not fussed about accuracy really. I just want a fun listen. Hard hitting is good with me. I don't often listen for much more than an hour at a time anyway.

Jun 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the suggestions. Out of those, I've only heard of the DT770 - I had a pair absolutely ages ago. Struggling to remember what they sounded like now. Can an iPad drive those OK?

I'll look into the other suggestions :)

The 80 ohm and 32 ohm versions just fine. The 250 ohm versions too but you will be cranking the volume up near max on the iPad if you like to really jam out. I've used my 250 ohm DT-880 off iPad and it was fine for me. But using an amp with the iPad does bring the sound to another level with any headphone.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 14
Thanks. Not fussed about accuracy really. I just want a fun listen. Hard hitting is good with me. I don't often listen for much more than an hour at a time anyway.

No question about it.. the DT-770 Pro or Premium are what you need- either 80 ohm or 32 ohm. A very good headphone in my opinion. I own three pair myself. :^) The Premiums are slightly more comfortable than the Pros with less clamping pressure.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #9 of 14
I was doing a lot of research on the Yamaha MT series, and the reviews seem good

Was going to bite the bullet on MT-8, but i am in vintage German Dynamics phase (generally I am in Basshead phase)

but the MT-8 is made by Victor Studio, which is kinda like Sony 900st By Sony Music

The dt770.80 is great when dampened properly with sorbothane and dynamat, but its problematic if the V shape isn't modded to a U or smiley curve IMO

When modded, it's very open sounding to a degree (but doesn't cool like an open)

YMMV

DT660.32 is a great option for open sounding (but again heats up unlike an open)

Aeon Flow Closed is amazing!

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #10 of 14
No question about it.. the DT-770 Pro or Premium are what you need- either 80 ohm or 32 ohm. A very good headphone in my opinion. I own three pair myself. :^) The Premiums are slightly more comfortable than the Pros with less clamping pressure.

I've read a few reviews and I am certainly leaning that way. Certainly the price is right, anyway.

I've read that the 32 ohm versions are better for portable use than the 80? Mainly due to being a smidge easier to drive, having a shorter cable, and the leather pads, whilst not as comfortable, are slightly better isolating. Does that sound right to you? Certainly the price is right. I've never seen any premium models for sale in my searching so far. I guess it makes sense, anyway, since I own and like the DT990 lots. :)

I was doing a lot of research on the Yamaha MT series, and the reviews seem good

Was going to bite the bullet on MT-8, but i am in vintage German Dynamics phase (generally I am in Basshead phase)

but the MT-8 is made by Victor Studio, which is kinda like Sony 900st By Sony Music

The dt770.80 is great when dampened properly with sorbothane and dynamat, but its problematic if the V shape isn't modded to a U or smiley curve IMO

When modded, it's very open sounding to a degree (but doesn't cool like an open)

YMMV

DT660.32 is a great option for open sounding (but again heats up unlike an open)

Aeon Flow Closed is amazing!

Thank you, I'll check those out too.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 14
EDIT: Wildcard option - a closed, easy to drive full size headphone that could replace both! Unlikely I know as the 990 is open so probably not easy to replicate in a closed phone.
For that sort of price you could look into Final Audio, either a new Sonorous 2 or a used Sonorous 3. I have the 6 which is a monstrous beast of a closed-back that sounds like it's open and is the most fun, rhythmical, musical sound I've heard south of $6K. Haven't tried the other models above or below it in the range but they have all enjoyed a pretty stirling reception, with many praising their liveliness and soundstage.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 14
Yes, the leather pads isolate better. But if you want comfort go with the gray velours. You still have decent isolation. Borrow the velour pads from your DT-990 to experiment. The cable is indeed shorter on my 32 ohm pair. My DT-770 Pro 32ohm are my go-to portables. I just love them.. they sound good and are built like a tank. No worry of them breaking unless you get really rough. They've been used in recording studios for a long time and have proven they can take a beating. Much like the DT-150..the real studio legend.... which I will say again..sounds better to me than the 770/880/990 hands down. But they are harder to find and usually will sell for twice as much as the DT-770. Of course that's just personal preference. Everyone will have their own opinion. The DT-770 is certainly the funner sound you are seeking in this case but it is by no means a slouch either. It's one of the best closed headphones I've heard. Out of the 770/880/990..it is my favorite. Of course, Beyerdynamic has always done very well with closed headphones..dare I say they rule at their price point. I certainly think so.Their open headphones.. I'm not sold on really. I like the open AudioTechnicas better. They just have more "ninja" precision. Same price point.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #13 of 14
For that sort of price you could look into Final Audio, either a new Sonorous 2 or a used Sonorous 3. I have the 6 which is a monstrous beast of a closed-back that sounds like it's open and is the most fun, rhythmical, musical sound I've heard south of $6K. Haven't tried the other models above or below it in the range but they have all enjoyed a pretty stirling reception, with many praising their liveliness and soundstage.

Thanks I will look into those.

Yes, the leather pads isolate better. But if you want comfort go with the gray velours. You still have decent isolation. Borrow the velour pads from your DT-990 to experiment. The cable is indeed shorter on my 32 ohm pair. My DT-770 Pro 32ohm are my go-to portables. I just love them.. they sound good and are built like a tank. No worry of them breaking unless you get really rough. They've been used in recording studios for a long time and have proven they can take a beating. Much like the DT-150..the real studio legend.... which I will say again..sounds better to me than the 770/880/990 hands down. But they are harder to find and usually will sell for twice as much as the DT-770. Of course that's just personal preference. Everyone will have their own opinion. The DT-770 is certainly the funner sound you are seeking in this case but it is by no means a slouch either. It's one of the best closed headphones I've heard. Out of the 770/880/990..it is my favorite. Of course, Beyerdynamic has always done very well with closed headphones..dare I say they rule at their price point. I certainly think so.Their open headphones.. I'm not sold on really. I like the open AudioTechnicas better. They just have more "ninja" precision.

It does sound like these would be right up my street, and the price as I said is very reasonable in the UK.

Must admit I've not heard AT headphones (re: open) but I do like my DT990 at least as much as any other open headphone I have tried. My previous fave was the HD600 which is probably technically "better" but I just enjoyed the 990 more, especially when driven well and with a little boost to the bass (I always find open phones need a little bass boost just to make them sound like they have some presence, for my ears, but then I primarily use speakers whenever possible).

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #14 of 14
I never took well to either the HD600 or HD650 dynamics or even many of the planar-magnetic options near the same price point. I preferred the DT-990 over them. I think comfort is a big issue for me and the DT-990 is one of the most comfortable phones ever. If you get the chance give a listen to the AT ATH-AD900x and above phones. It does not have the bass impact of the 990 but it sounds more open, detailed and the bass is faster and just as deep. And the wing system has such a light clamping force even with the rubberband mod. On the other end of the spectrum...if you are a closet basshead...or even an admitted basshead :^0..which I am at times.. find a pair of used Darth Beyers ($250 + or -).. which are custom woodied DT-770s made by Larry Dale of Headphile. Bass cannons! And the look alone is worth owning a pair even if all you do is stare at them on a headphone stand...yummy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back