Closed Headphones(Need advice plus info on an amp)
Sep 24, 2012 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dcsquirrel

New Head-Fier
Hello I am looking to buy a good pair of closed headphones. I am not an audiophile so bare with my descriptions. I listen to pop,rock and alternative occasionally rap. Bands I like include all american rejects, blink-182, mat kearney ect. but I like a clear crisp sound not a large quantity of bass just quantity. I have had beats hate em, sony mdr300xb hated em. I tried the bose qc15 and I really liked the way they sound.
I am looking for headphones <100 that can just be plugged in straight into a computer or ipod but would be open to a cheaper amp if it is under 20 if it makes a difference. ( I don't really know anything about amps, dacs I just plug te headphones right into the computer.) Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Heya,

Brainwavz HM5 (and right now comes with a free stand) (closed)
Samson SR850 (semi-open)
CAD Audio MH310 (closed)
AudioTechnica TAD400 (open)

No need for an amplifier. They are efficient headphones.

If you want options for source, a simple Xonar DG sound card is $30 and will provide a new DAC and an onboard amplifier that will handle most headphones just fine and provide Dolby Headphone too for surround options if you play games or watch movies. Another option, down the road, would be a nice little Fiio E10 USB DAC/AMP ($60ish) if you want to increase your source quality as an upgrade later.

Very best,

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

If you want options for source, a simple Xonar DG sound card is $30 and will provide a new DAC and an onboard amplifier that will handle most headphones just fine and provide Dolby Headphone too for surround options if you play games or watch movies. Another option, down the road, would be a nice little Fiio E10 USB DAC/AMP ($60ish) if you want to increase your source quality as an upgrade later.

English Please :)

Anyways so those are not too bassy and they are crisp and clean sounding? Any opinions on the audio-technica ath30 or sennheiser hd419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back