Closed headphones for Little Dot MKIII
Jul 23, 2010 at 10:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Denys

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am considering bringing my Little Dot III at work, so I will need a pair of closed headphones, so I do not disturb my neighbours....

From Ipod (80g with Lossless music)-----to Little Dot III to closed headphones...less than $200 if possible...

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

Denys

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 6
what headphones were you using at home with the amp? 
smile.gif

best unmodded closed can i have heard so far within your price range would be the sennheiser hd25 1-II, directly out of a sansa clip... good bass and isolation, adequate sound stage. comfortable and rugged, but supra aural...

no experience driving them with a little dot mkIII...

what would you be listening to at the office anyway? 
smile.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
what headphones were you using at home with the amp? 
smile.gif

best unmodded closed can i have heard so far within your price range would be the sennheiser hd25 1-II, directly out of a sansa clip... good bass and isolation, adequate sound stage. comfortable and rugged, but supra aural...

no experience driving them with a little dot mkIII...

what would you be listening to at the office anyway? 
smile.gif

At home I have the grado 325....I will keep them for my Antique Sound Lab that will move into my bedroom in place of the little Dot.

I mostly listen to prog rock and electronica.... I avoid metal at work
L3000.gif

Denys

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #4 of 6
man your gear list is great! 

i used ms2i before for prog rock to great effect, and the 325 is also amazing, if not better (my friend owns one)... though when i paired it with my little dot mkII, i didn't note a great improvement, although i was using stock tubes then...

the hd25 is a good all-around can: you get nice detail and isolation, and the rugged construction would survive an office mishap. but i don't think it's gonna compete with the sr325 for that genre...

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 6
I have that exact same setup and I tell you, it's a very good combo. Even if the HD25 is already efficient running off unamped to a portable source, adding a tube amp does wonders to the sound. I only use the default gain setting and the HD25 really sings on the MKIII; better soundstage, crisper detail, tighter bass, all around better sound. :)

Jul 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 6
I think the m50 would benefit from the MKIII, but i strongly recommend high impedance headphones, since this is an OTL amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back